Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 16 1234511 ... LastLast
    (Montgomery County)

Default For those of you who smoke.....

Buy up at these prices while you can....

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- The newly empowered Democratic majority flexed its political muscle Wednesday as the House of Representatives voted to expand a key federal health care program to an estimated 4 million additional children.
    President Obama is expected to sign the children's health bill on Wednesday afternoon.

President Obama is expected to sign the children's health bill on Wednesday afternoon.

The 290-135 vote to expand the State Children's Health Insurance Program fell largely along party lines, with almost every Democrat voting in favor of the expansion and most Republicans voting against it.

President Obama is expected to sign the bill late Wednesday afternoon; the Senate passed it Friday.

"As the worsening economy causes families to lose their jobs and health insurance, it is vital that we redouble our efforts to ensure that every child in America has access to affordable health care," the president said in a statement after Senate passage last week.

The program, known as SCHIP, currently covers more than 6 million children whose parents earn too much to qualify for Medicaid -- the federal health insurance program for the poor -- but who can't afford private insurance.
    Don't Miss

* Obama lauds bipartisan kids' health insurance plan
    * House passes expansion of children's health program

The bill approved by Congress expands SCHIP by roughly $35 billion over five years. It will be financed with a 62-cent-per-pack increase in the federal tax on cigarettes.

Opponents of the legislation have argued that, among other things, it will allow undocumented immigrants to illegally access taxpayer-financed health care, and is insufficiently funded.
    I don't even know what to say.... I'm no longer a smoker but man do I feel for you guys.... I don't even want to think about what they are going to tax out of existence next...

(Philadelphia County)

Default Re: For those of you who smoke.....

Ironic how a health care program will be financed by evil, nasty smokers.

Not a smoker myself, and I hate the stuff, but this is pretty stupid. When many people quit because they can't afford it, I wonder what they'll get next.

These idiots never learn; they want gas prices higher so we drive less, and when we do, the government cries about not having enough gas tax revenue...now this.

(Berks County)

Call me silly but I'd really like to know what they are going to hit when people start to say that the new tax has priced them out of smoking. Where are those tax dollars going to come from next? Soda? Gum? Candy? Baked goods? This is just another ploy to get into people's wallets but if I had to bet, I'd wager that fast food will be on the list.
    Bill USAF 1976 - 1986, NRA Endowment, USCCA

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by billamj View Post
    Call me silly but I'd really like to know what they are going to hit when people start to say that the new tax has priced them out of smoking. Where are those tax dollars going to come from next? Soda? Gum? Candy? Baked goods? This is just another ploy to get into people's wallets but if I had to bet, I'd wager that fast food will be on the list.
    I'd guess alcohol...they're going to go for the naughty/feel-good goods first. Taxing fast food would hurt their constituents, but then again, so will taxing cigarettes and liquor.

(Allegheny County)

I will get my smokes from the Senecas.

I would rather support the Native Americans than welfare babies.
    Koli's back from Ambler.

(Beaver County)

I'm sure that they count on the fact that a smoker/chewer (I use Copenhagen) will not quite using because of the price... I started buying SKOAL when I was in 4th grade at $0.84 a can. Now its almost $5 a can. I have said at every dollar... I'll quite if it gets to $2, $3, $4... and now I say $5. But I wont. I can't. I am weak, I am addicted, and I like it! Obama and crew are betting on me standing at the counter each morning to buy my fresh can of Cope....And I won't disapoint them. I knw folks who have lost jobs and had thier water shut off, cable cut off, barely eat... but they have smokes 24 hours a day. Folks will buy tobacco before food and utilities. Please.... argue with me on that one... I'll LOL at ya! My brother in law is doing it now. He and my wife's sister are getting evicted... he is losing his truck to repossesion... but he has cigerettes every day. I have seen this over and over again. We won't stop buying... we will just bitch more. I'm lucky that I can buy my Cope without worrting about my bills, but even those that are not able to easily afford it will still pay for it by skipping out on other things. Priorities are all screwed up for us tobacco and beer drinkers.

If 50% of tobacco users stopped cold turkey on the day this is set into motion.... it would crush the tobacco industry and ruin Obama's financial plan. But as you can clearly see... he has no concern over that.....because he is 100% sure it will have no effect on the number of purchases.... it will only effect the amount of tax brought in. That amount will go up, up, up!

Larry

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by larry0071 View Post
    I'm sure that they count on the fact that a smoker/chewer (I use Copenhagen) will not quite using because of the price... I started buying SKOAL when I was in 4th grade at $0.84 a can. Now its almost $5 a can. I have said at every dollar... I'll quite if it gets to $2, $3, $4... and now I say $5. But I wont. I can't. I am weak, I am addicted, and I like it! Obama and crew are betting on me standing at the counter each morning to buy my fresh can of Cope....And I won't disapoint them. I knw folks who have lost jobs and had thier water shut off, cable cut off, barely eat... but they have smokes 24 hours a day. Folks will buy tobacco before food and utilities. Please.... argue with me on that one... I'll LOL at ya! My brother in law is doing it now. He and my wife's sister are getting evicted... he is losing his truck to repossesion... but he has cigerettes every day. I have seen this over and over again. We won't stop buying... we will just bitch more. I'm lucky that I can buy my Cope without worrting about my bills, but even those that are not able to easily afford it will still pay for it by skipping out on other things. Priorities are all screwed up for us tobacco and beer drinkers.

If 50% of tobacco users stopped cold turkey on the day this is set into motion.... it would crush the tobacco industry and ruin Obama's financial plan. But as you can clearly see... he has no concern over that.....because he is 100% sure it will have no effect on the number of purchases.... it will only effect the amount of tax brought in. That amount will go up, up, up!

Larry
    Most studies I've seen show that when the price for things like smokes and booze go up enough, consumption goes down. Hell, even meth consumption goes down with price spikes, and that's one of the few things that's even more addictive than nicotine. Although addictive substances are more resistant to price effecting consumption patterns then some other non-essential consumer items, they are not immune from these forces. Granted, the ever increasing price of tobacco has not decreased my consumption one bit (even when I lived in NYC and prices were between $6.50 and $8 a pack), but then again I'm mighty stubborn (and irritable enough even with my regular nicotine fix).
    "When law becomes despotic, morals are relaxed, and vice versa."-- Honore de Balzac, The Wild Ass's Skin...huh, huh..Balzac...Wild Ass...huh, huh

(Schuylkill County)

Obama is a smoker himself. But he can afford it.

President Obama currently earns $400,000 per year, along with a $50,000 expense account, a $100,000 nontaxable travel account and $19,000 for entertainment.

We know what Clinton did with his "entertainment" budget. Looks like the Obaminator will use it on smokes.

(Northampton County)

How many jobs does the tobacco industry provide in the United States, again?

Safety is a good tool for tyrants; no one can be against safety.

Μολὼν λαβέ

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by Coops View Post
    Obama is a smoker himself. But he can afford it.

President Obama currently earns $400,000 per year, along with a $50,000 expense account, a $100,000 nontaxable travel account and $19,000 for entertainment.

We know what Clinton did with his "entertainment" budget. Looks like the Obaminator will use it on smokes.
    Pretty sure Clinton used his on smokes too :P
    The first vehicles normally on the scene of a crime are ambulances and police cruisers. If you are armed you have a chance to decide who gets transported in which vehicle, if you are not armed then that decision is made for you.

Be prepared, because someone else already is and no one knows their intent except them.

Page 1 of 16 1234511 ... LastLast