Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trout Stocking

(Beaver County)

Default Trout Stocking

Long time poster, first time thread starter.

I'm going to stock trout today at 12:30pm in Turtle Creek. We use homemade float boxes and drag em down the stream, flinging them evershere you think a fish should be. Some guys go as far as gingerly placing them behind rocks and in the smallest holes. As I'm one of the youngest guys I get to do the long haul, about 2 to 2.5 miles till I get out. Takes about 3 hours.

So I was wondering if anyone else enjoys doing this to perpetuate their sport, or am I part of an old breed.

For me Opening Day of trout is similar to O. D. for deer. We go spotlighting as a ritual before rifle deer season. And doing the trout stocking is becomeing a ritual for its respective season.

I'll post how I did, I just hope I don't slip and fall-I wear chest waders, hate it when it gets filled from over the top!

(Lehigh County)

Default Re: Trout Stocking

Thats great that you still float stock. In Lehigh County it seems they pull up to a bridge or easy acess spot and dump them in. Fishing could be much better if they would take there time and float. We had our opening day March 30th so good luck to you this weekend.

(Allegheny County)

Is there a new subdivision to the forum?
    PAFPOA... Pennsylvania Fishing Pole Owners Association?

Kidding!
    Roland, that's great that you guys take the time to do that.
    I don't fish, (can you legally use a Glock to "fish"?) but I'm SURE that what you guys do helps to put a smile on a lot of peoples faces throughout the season!

KUDOS to those who support all things "outdoors"!
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Lebanon County)

Quote Originally Posted by Emptymag View Post
    Is there a new subdivision to the forum?
    PAFPOA... Pennsylvania Fishing Pole Owners Association?

Kidding!
    Roland, that's great that you guys take the time to do that.
    I don't fish, (can you legally use a Glock to "fish"?) but I'm SURE that what you guys do helps to put a smile on a lot of peoples faces throughout the season!

KUDOS to those who support all things "outdoors"!
    Well it does seem that many who enjoy one outdoor activity, such as the shooting sports, will also enjoy others, like fishing. My liberal friend (the oen who said he didn't know why anyone would want or need cammo, once told me that only "rich" people went to Gander and Bass Pro, because they had the disposable income. I don't think people like him understand that the outdoors are the cheepest sports you can participate in). I just find that those of us who are 'outdoorsmen' are more friendly and respectful, and have very similar interests, it's not like a choose one thing.

(Beaver County)

We stocked about 3000 trout of different varities. Rainbows, browns and a few Palaminows. There was a pretty good showing for something thats not advertised very well. Koli was there to help, I think it was his first time, hehehe, he got a little wet, aparantly I didn't say watch out for that hole loud enough. But, I also got wet, didn't realize I had a hole in my boot of my waders, needless to say my right foot went numb, burr. Even the rain showers didn't slow us down. I can't think of a better way to start off trout season. Also the fish were huge! We could count on one hand the number of minimum size fish we placed, and alot of trophy size fish. Well good fish hunting!

(Allegheny County)

Roland also neglected to point out a couple of slippery rocks. I went swimming a couple of times so when it started raining it did not matter much.
    It was my first time and it was a hoot.
    I put one Rainbow in that looked like a salmon. It was as long as my arm.

(Lehigh County)

I saw alot of big ones around here but none of them were interested in what i was offering. I will be traveling slightly north for my second opening day this year. Good luck

(Lawrence County)

I used to help stock a few years ago. Lately I don't get to fish as much as I'd like and the license fees are painful.

Lycanithrowmostbackthrope

I taught Chuck Norris to bump-fire.

(Allegheny County)

I just tracked our float trip on google earth. We floated our fish 1 mile down stream before we even started stocking. We stocked for the next mile. Our total trip was almost exactly 2 miles. In stream that is.

(Beaver County)

Yeah, that was only a portion of the first 1400 fish. We bucketed the next 1600 to holes and what not. Plus the added milage.

I let most of mine go to, havn't been able to get the girls to aquire a taste for em.

Recipes?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast