Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    (Chester County)

Default No Weapons at Work / No Posted Signs

What do you guys think....

My employee handbook states that employees are not permitted to carry or keep any firearms or knives longer than 4" on the premises. However, there are no signs on the front door informing guests/visitors of this rule, no question is asked of guests/visitors and no search is made of guests/visitors.

My concern is I am holed up in my office without a weapon but any guest/visitor could enter the building carrying a weapon.

Should I:
    a) break the rules and carry.
    b) bring the issue to management and maybe end up with signs on the door or change the guests/visitors policy.
    c) do nothing and pretend everything will be ok.
    "Cause remember: no matter where you go.....there you are" ---Buckaroo Banzai

(Mifflin County)

Default Re: No Weapons at Work / No Posted Signs

That's something you pretty much have to decide for yourself. If you choose to carry and get caught, you'll likely get fired. Does the risk of being fired outweigh your concerns for your personal safety? Once you decide that, you'll have your answer on what to do.

There is nothing you can do. It's their policy, their property, and you agree to their policy when you agree work to there. You need to decide for yourself where your boundaries are. If you should get terminated as a result of carrying a gun it could affect you with future employment. I wouldn't blame you if you ignored the policy, but it will likely have repercussions.
    FUCK BIDEN

Bad guys will bring a gun into the building regardless of signs...so......as said...you have to figure out what's more important to you. Deep concealment might be the answer if you decide to ignore company policy.

(York County)

The employee handbook is all that they the employer need to do to limit their employees carrying guns. With out signage customers can carry into the premesis legally. If you think it would be advantages to carry for your personal safety f the rules and carry. As long as you are cool about it, don't go waving it around etc. then your boss will never know the difference. If you get caught you could be fired and prosecuted so it's up to you...
    "It's better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6." My Dad

"Rage, rage against the dying of the light,
    Do not go gentle into that good night." Dylan Thomas

(Northampton County)

If you choose to carry at work, some tips:
    1) Tell no one.
    2) Don't have any NRA or pro-gun stickers on your personal vehicle.
    3) Tell no one.
    4) Conceal very well, best place probably being at 12 o'clock... if someone grabs your crotch, they won't have much of a case to make as to why they felt a chuck of metal.
    5) Tell no one.
    6) Don't bring up discussions of handguns, or 2nd amendment rights while at work.
    7) Tell no one.
    8) Remember that even your friends might accidentally tell others who may get you in trouble. Which leads me to this next one, which is real important:
    9) Tell no one!
    Safety is a good tool for tyrants; no one can be against safety.

Μολὼν λαβέ

(Cumberland County)

My employer doesn't have any policy on weapons that I'm aware of, as none are mentioned in our employee handbook. However, I work for a very politically liberal organization with an anti-gun slant so I'm fairly certain that if they believed their employees were carrying they'd implement policy to prevent it. In order to be 100% certain my gun isn't visible I don't carry it on my person, I carry it in my briefcase. It's safely hidden there and it's still rather close at hand if I need it. Certainly better than in the car anyway. What they don't know won't hurt 'em. Considering there have been numerous stabbings, muggings and other crimes within 200 feet of our office door over the years not carrying is not an option for me. Until my employer provides door-to-car security for me I'll be carrying.

What you decide to do is ultimately your choice. I'd suggest adhering to the law. If you can legally carry (even against company policy) then the worst that can happen is you lose your job. Carry in violation of the law though and you could lose your permit to carry anywhere. Personally I'd give up my job long before I give up my freedom.

(York County)

Same deal. No firearms, no signs.

I carried even to the day that I got layed-off. He didn't know then and won't know now. Just sayin'.

My life, my responsibility.
    C.R.

(The Invisible Poster)

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by Bucks_Man View Post
    My employee handbook states that employees are not permitted to carry or keep any firearms or knives longer than 4" on the premises
    If they worded it EXACTLY like that - carry a 2-3 inch revolver.

I count myself lucky - When my company actually got around to issuing an employee handbook (to combat some sloppy dress code violations) the firearms policy simply requires that anyone who carries a firearm in the office also carries a valid LTCF. I had been carrying at work (occasional OC) for a few months prior, and had my permit. My supervisor has his permit as well, and at least one other gentleman in our office owns a handgun as well. We're very well armed, for computer technicians.

In any case, I probably wouldn't carry if my company policy strictly forbade it, but I would also spend a lot of time looking for other job options. If I really felt that there was a good chance of a nutcase coming in the front door and picking off a few employees, however, I would revise the first half of my statement. The job hunt would still continue.
    Last edited by KnightZero; February 3rd, 2009 at 12:08 AM.
    KnightZero - Zombie Killing Mercenary Watchman for hire. Will work for food.

http://kn1ght-z3r0.livejournal.com/tag/firearms - My firearms, and my ramblings on the Open Carry Movement.

(Mifflin County)

Quote Originally Posted by dgood71 View Post
    In order to be 100% certain my gun isn't visible I don't carry it on my person, I carry it in my briefcase. It's safely hidden there and it's still rather close at hand if I need it. Certainly better than in the car anyway.
    Until someone steals your briefcase.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast