Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default The Day The Music Died, 40th Anniversary Tonight

Well I'm an old time musician and a lover of two greats that the world lost.

Tonight, actually tomorrow morning at 1:40 is the 40th anniversary of the tragic death of Buddy Holly, Ritchie Valens and the Big Bopper.

To me Buddy was a musical genius, I still listen to his music and wonder 'what if he had lived' ... I am also a big fan of Ritchie Valens .. a talented young kid from a rough neighborhood (rough for back then) and made something of his talent and his dreams.

So if you are up at that time, or before you go to bed ... give a 'shout out' to them, maybe a quick chorus of Peggy Sue or La Bamba ... or maybe just a 'Hello Baby'

Sometimes great talent is like a flame that burns to bright, it burns so bright it can't last but these 'flames' will never be forgotten in my heart and memories

(Delaware County)

Default Re: The Day The Music Died, 40th Anniversary Tonight

Some of the guys of that era got me playing the guitar and singing.
    Thank you for reminding me of this date and event!

I'm gonna grab my accoustic and play some "Crickets" hits!!

"The three men I admire most, the Father, Son and the Holy Ghost, they a took the last train for the coast, the Day the Music Died..."
    NRA Training Counselor, Chief Range Safety Officer, NRA Benefactor Member

Default Re: The Day The Music Died, 40th Anniversary Tonight

Quote Originally Posted by Dannytheman View Post
    Some of the guys of that era got me playing the guitar and singing.
    Thank you for reminding me of this date and event!

I'm gonna grab my accoustic and play some "Crickets" hits!!

"The three men I admire most, the Father, Son and the Holy Ghost, they a took the last train for the coast, the Day the Music Died..."
    Yup, me too! People like Buddy, Muddy, Bo (don't know Diddly) and then of course the Beatles got me started playing WAY back when.

But you know what? Drop a Beatles CD into your player and tell me it isn't timeless .... now drop a Buddy Holly CD into your player and tell me it isn't even MORE timeless.

I often think, while listening to Buddy where his music would have gone had he lived ... honestly I think he would have been a force the Beatles would have had to reckon with ... he is sorely missed by us guitar players.

I think at 1:40 tonight I will have to pick up the guitar and strum out a few of my favorites, get a little misty and then thank Buddy for the influence he had on my music.