Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Defense Rifle

(Bucks County)

Default Defense Rifle

Hey guys, was just seeing what is a good semi-auto rifle to get. I posted in a previous thread but i think i was misunderstood. So what type of rifle should I get for home/national defense. People were saying Rugers, but they seem like they have small calibers. I was thinking an AK, M4, or AR but they just seem to be the popular ones. By the way, I'm really new to guns, especially rifles. Any suggestions?

-Bill

(Bucks County)

Default Re: Defense Rifle

my home defense gun is a bushmaster m4 and a twelve gauge mossberg shotgun

(York County)

My suggestion is an AR-15.
    In a worst case scenario, you'll be able to get ammo for it. Make ure the rifle (if an AR-15) has a NATO chamber so it'll run .223 as well as 5.56 ammo.
    Mine is a Rock River carbine, but there are many quality AR brands to chose from.
    AK's are great rifles, but ammo availability may be an issue in a real SHTF situation.

Rugers are available in many many calibres, including .223 (Ranch rifle). I've read mag capacity can be an issue though.
    Last edited by RoyJackson; February 2nd, 2009 at 10:08 PM.

(Allegheny County)

a bunch of AR50's in the walls pointed at each door hooked up to trip wires...

NOOO, JUST MESSING WITH YOU MAN!

I have a mossberg 500 for the home defense here. dont want to risk a rifle because there is this really cute girl that lives across the hall and dont want any "oops"s.

however, if the red army attacks in the morning, she is on her own and im hanging out with my "CrazyWhiteGuy" anvil arms lower with del-ton upper.

(Allegheny County)

Cool Re: Defense Rifle

maybe one of these will do!

(York County)

I've had a Mossy 500 12 ga. and I have had a Marlin Camp Carbine. But sold both. I am currently looking to get a Ruger PC4 because it uses the same mag and cartridge (.40 S&W) as their P94 pistols. then I'll have 1 mag and 1 round. But currently I have a Ruger 10/22. Yeah it lacks take down power, BUT ammo is cheap and you can hunt small game with it. The Israelis use one for a sniper rig. And if you are throwing large quantities of lead down range, it's not the caliber but the amount that matters. Remember Reagan was shot and almost killed by a nut job with a .22 revolver; and Brady was wounded and changed for life by the same round.
    And I have asked in another thread for opinions about the .410 shotgun, and have found many favorable opinions about the gun and round.
    "It's better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6." My Dad

"Rage, rage against the dying of the light,
    Do not go gentle into that good night." Dylan Thomas

(Delaware County)

There are many options of course. I would suggest a good used 12GA shotgun with either a 18 or 20in barrel. A Rem-870 or Mossberg 500/590 would fill this need very well. You should be able to find a good used shotgun of this type with some looking. Sometimes there are police trade-in available at gun shows as well.

As for a rifle there are MANY options. As I believe someone already mentioned, you need to be real concerned with the issue of over penetration with any rifle caliber. With that said there are excellent .223/5.56 runds designed specifically for use in defense / tactical situations indoors. Some of them use a very fragile 45 gr bullet. Many SWAT teams have gone to these for their .223/5.56 M4 carbines. As far as I know these rounds are not available for the AK rounds so keep that in mind if you are considering that as an option.

If you decide on the .223/5.56 round then there are a bunch of options such as; Ruger Mini-14, Remington Model 7615 Tactical and the many AR-15/M4 style of rifles. I have been hearing great things about the rifles from Stag but I have not yet purchases one but hope to do so.

You will certainly get any opinions in this area. The good news is that today there are many great options but keep in mind that many think that the new administration will do their very bst to very much eliminate our options so I suggest that you act quickly if you can.

Good luck.

In a home defense situation I'm going for the AK.

A) It will work 100% everytime.

B) It will stop people (7.62x39) and holds plenty of ammo.

C) with folding stock and the right hardware it is light and maneuverable.

Only counter argument is that the ammo will keep going, that is where a shotgun might be better depending on your situation, but some shotguns arn't on the immediate AWB agenda so you could always get one later on.
    In order to get intelligent answers you must speak intelligently.

(Allegheny County)

AK, AR, 12 gauge...

All will be suggested, all are viable options.

I suggest all 3. *cough* Can't be too safe right?

(Cambria County)

Quote Originally Posted by Fizzle1985 View Post
    Hey guys, was just seeing what is a good semi-auto rifle to get. I posted in a previous thread but i think i was misunderstood. So what type of rifle should I get for home/national defense. People were saying Rugers, but they seem like they have small calibers. I was thinking an AK, M4, or AR but they just seem to be the popular ones. By the way, I'm really new to guns, especially rifles. Any suggestions?

-Bill
    Try not to get caught up in all the hype suggesting that the AK is more reliable and less accurate than the AR. The differences are negligible. This has been argued to death in a gazillion different threads. Here are two of them:

http://forum.pafoa.org/rifles-42/571...ks-page-3.html

http://forum.pafoa.org/rifles-42/123...overrated.html

Being that you are newer to rifles, you may want to consider a factor that I have observed: An AK is typically easier to learn the basics on, and become combat effective, but it is harder to master. Whereas an AR takes a bit more to learn the basics on, but is easier to master.

Just be sure to think about what you want and why. A rifle set up to handle SHTF combat environments is frequently not the ideal choice for home defense.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast