Default Taurus 85

How's the trigger?

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/p...ducts_id/31371

How long is the DAO pull?

Accurate gun? Good sights?
    Peace, Prosperity, and Liberty

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Taurus 85

I don't know if mine has aftermarket springs but the SA pull is super light and crisp. DA pull is lighter than I expected.

My wife's was excellent, juuuust short of Smith & Wesson quality feel. Single action may have been better.
    "Never give up, never surrender!" Commander Peter Quincy Taggart

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by JoeWilliams View Post
    My wife's was excellent, juuuust short of Smith & Wesson quality feel. Single action may have been better.
    Can you get a trigger job to make it single action? Sorry, I'm no gun smith and still new to guns.

I'd like a nice SA trigger. I want a hamerless gun so I don't get any snags if I need to draw some inside my pocket....I might belt carry it, not sure yet....

I think I heard of 'bobbing' the hammer. What exactly does this do?
    Peace, Prosperity, and Liberty

(Chester County)

Bobbing is to remove the spur from the hammer. I would by the taurus 85**CH the model will be different depending on finish. This weapon comes "Bobbed" from the factory. I have seen them in stores and they are the same price as regular. Save you some money and time as opposed to buying it and having a smith knub the hammer for you. It is a good gun, and if it isn't send it back they will send you a new one.

I don't have the 85, but two 850's. The hammer is shrouded, and is DAO. Both are very accurate for a very small sight radius. As for the trigger, like many revolvers they get better with time, smoother.

tom
    Everyday, Love your Wife. She might love you back twice that day. :D

(York County)

Can you get a trigger job to make it single action? Sorry, I'm no gun smith and still new to guns.

I'd like a nice SA trigger. I want a hammerless gun so I don't get any snags if I need to draw some inside my pocket....I might belt carry it, not sure yet....

I think I heard of 'bobbing' the hammer. What exactly does this do?
    If you want a bobbed or concealed hammer, that means you want a good DA trigger:
    SA: Single action which means you cock the gun by pulling the hammer back. You then pull the trigger which fires the gun.
    DA: Double action which means you simply pull the trigger which automatically cocks the hammer and fires the gun.

I've had 5 or 6 Model 85's since the late 80's or early 90's. Still have 2 of them. One is an old ('98 or '99) Multi-Alloy (aluminum frame, titanium cylinder/barrel shroud) with an exposed hammer. The other one is a Model 851 which has a shrouded hammer. This one is titanium. Both are very light weight which works well for pocket carry.
    The 85's DA trigger is quite nice after several hundred rounds. The 851's DA trigger is a bit scratchy with 200-250 rounds through it. Both triggers are a long and fairly stiff pull, which is what I want in a self defense gun. You want it to fire, but not too easily.
    IF you buy or have already bought one of these fine little revolvers, put a couple hundred rounds through it before carrying for self defense. I really like Taurus revolvers, but they do have a spotty reputation. In fact, my 85 suffered light strikes (hammer didn't hit the cartridge primer hard enough to fire it) initially That was fixed and the gun has been 100% reliable ever since.
    If the gun has a problem, you'll likely see it in the first 200 rounds.
    BTW, I'd recommend a 200 round break in with any gun anymore (exception might be a Glock 9mm).
    Get a good holster if you're going to carry the gun.

BTW, I carried that little 85 for many years and felt very comfortable. I did want a shrouded hammer for an easier draw (less wear on the trouser pocket too) which is why I bought the 851.

Also, we're bandying around the terms bobbed , concealed and shrouded. My 851's shrouded hammer still allows for cocking the hammer (for firing single action) so this is a DA/SA gun. The bobbed hammers are DAO...no single action at all.
    Last edited by RoyJackson; February 2nd, 2009 at 08:21 AM.

(York County)

I have the 85 ultra light and everyone here pretty muched nailed it. my 85's DA pull is pretty long but it super smooth and breaks nice , the SA pull is , I think damn good. Short light crisp and smooth. I agree about the accuracy too , I was pleasantly surprised. Mine has the exposed hammer , but thats what I wanted. The sites on it are a fixed blade up front and a groove in the back of the frame , non adjustable but they were dead on , on mine. Can't remember if they have a version with sights on it or not?
    Last edited by 40twist; February 2nd, 2009 at 08:27 AM.