Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Pike County)

Default AK builds, Screw or rivit

OK so which is better?
    I found a yugo and a romanian underfolders for sale but both are a screw builds. No idea of what reciever, no names on them, can anyone tell me if there is a hidden stamping for flats??

Guy is asking for 600 OBO each. but as mentioned above, never saw a screw build before. Plus not sure how stable/reliable they are after a few 100 rounds.

And in part two of this wanted to know for my near future Yugo underfolder build...Already have the rivits but was curious ...

Snert..

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: AK builds, Screw or rivit

Me, i wouldn't pay $600 for someone else’s garage screw build. Heck, i'm not sure i'd spend $600 on a non gunsmiths build even if they used rivets.

From what i have read, the DIY screw builds are ok---but a lot depends on the builders ability.

(Lebanon County)

screw builds are fine, but imho they look like shite.
    as stated above, no way would i pay that money for a screw build.

flats are not complete receivers, so manufactures names and numbers are not required on them.
    Last edited by brian; February 1st, 2009 at 09:25 PM.
    it's only metal, we can out think it....

(Chester County)

As stated, be careful. It looks like somebody built this himself and you know nothing about this builder's ability or competence as a smith (I assume). You can find name brand AKs for that price. I would pass for these reasons.
    Believe those who are seeking the truth; doubt those who find it.

(Pike County)

honestly, I have no intentions on spending 600 on them. I looked at them, just more for some referance. If I was to make a offer it would be in the low 400 range. They were built from demills, guy says he bought them that way. but later told me he was going to build a FAL . So i will assume he built them, if hes gonna build a FAL im sure he built the ak's.

I have noticed some builds on here with screws . I like the look of the rivits myself. but being I have neither, but a box of yugo virgin M70 parts. I figured I shuold start planing..

Snert...

(Montgomery County)

So, you are saying you have a kit you want to build? And your asking for ideas on how to build it? Sorry---confused.

If you say you have a virgin kit, i am assuming that it has a new barrel? The older kits with the barrel already pressed in were easier to work with---less to do.

I have never built a parts kit AK but i have read a bit. I'd get a pre bent receiver---not a flat. Then i'd pay a smith to put it together. Unless you have a 12 ton press and a rivet tool and know what you are doing.

As to the screws---what some do is screw them together then fill in the slots in the screws with epoxy---that way they look more like rivets---but, they'd be a bitch to get back out id needed.

Good luck.

(Pike County)

Guns4fun, I do have a virgin kit sitting on the shelf.

I more looked at these two for reference, but if I could I would offer less. BUT also have no intentions of it. I have a kit, and am waiting for a NDS-4 in march.

But being these 2 builds were on screws, it made me wonder which is better..Screws get beat up, just put new ones in. If the rivits get damaged from use, well its cut/grind etc,,

Hard part now is finding a AK smith in the pocono's who wont clean out my wallet for the build...

Snert

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by Snert View Post
    Guns4fun, I do have a virgin kit sitting on the shelf.

I more looked at these two for reference, but if I could I would offer less. BUT also have no intentions of it. I have a kit, and am waiting for a NDS-4 in march.

But being these 2 builds were on screws, it made me wonder which is better..Screws get beat up, just put new ones in. If the rivits get damaged from use, well its cut/grind etc,,

Hard part now is finding a AK smith in the pocono's who wont clean out my wallet for the build...
    Snert
    Isn't PA Patriot near the pocono's? Doesn't he build AK's from kits? Not sure but i think he does---send him a pm and even if he doesn't build them, i'm sure he could suggest someone.

(Pike County)

I'll check him out and see. Be good if he does, Especially if he is in the pocono region.

I honestly wish this was built already, but gotta wait for the reciever from nodak. 1 more month...Just my luck, waitin on my stamp for my SBR, waitin for a reciever for my AK...gee whats next...

Snert..

(Bucks County)

Being a journeyman Toolmaker I can tell you for sure you want a rivet built gun. The rivets fill up the holes more completely than a screw ever could due to them expanding when their driven. Any screw, no matter how tight is going to have a gap on the back side of the threads. This gap will cause the screw to "Work" a little each time the gun is fired and over enough cycles the threads will become distorted and the fit will be ruined. Enough to feel? Maybe, but long before this your accuracy will go all to hell and you wont be able to figure why your once reliable gun dont werx no more.

Go with a rivet build.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast