Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default Went Shooting Today

So i went target shooting today. i found that the first shots particularly the first magazine of every gun i shot more accurate than the following magazine. i understand i am anticipating the recoil..i do not understand why i have been doing that the guns were not heavy recoil and i enjoy shooting them, as a matter of fact these are the guns i shoot with moreso than others. i was shooting approx. between 10-20 yards, constantly changing my distance. i am going to try and attach images of the targets that i shot at with each particular gun and halfway do a semi review.

S&W Sigma .40 S&W
    i enjoy this gun, it does have a heavy trigger pull but nothing that i cannot handle. i was shooting a box of winchester ammo target, unfortunately i can only remember the brand i was shooting through each gun not the exact grain, i will try to do better next time and write it all down. it performed flawlessly except for 1 time, i was loading an older box of winchester ammo and i did not see that somebody had put approx. 9 bullets of 9mm in the box. fortunately i caught what had happened before i loaded them in except this one bullet. it fit in the mag and fed into the chamber like it was a .40 but then it went click and i pulled the slide back the bullet ejected and found that out, i am just glad it went click and didnt mess anything up including myself. here is the target i shot the sigma with:

Next is the Glock 17L i was shooting precision ammo JHP i think it was 115 gr. but not sure, never had a single problem with it, ate it all and wanted more, in particular i have 2 targets for this gun the 1st one is todays shooting and the 2nd one is from a few months back on visishot target. in particular i was wanting you the members of PAFOA to see if i have gotten any better or what i need to do to get my groups titer and to have all my shots in the same area not the 1st few near the bullseye and the rest being scattered.

My last gun to shoot was a Colt Gov. Model .38 Super. i was shooting corbon +p's in it and again sorry i do not have the exact grain. again my shots were closer to the bullseye my first magazine than any others. its a very fun gun to shoot and will leave some red marks where the portion of your hand where the beaver tail rests. i had 4 ftf (failure to feed)'s using the corbon ammo in approx. 40 shots...ran out of ammo.

well it appears as if the pictures are going to be at the bottom of the page in the order i specified. i also added another visishot target of me shooting the S&W 1026 10mm (first time i shot it) but i just wanted to hear from you all to give me advice on getting my groups titer and to not anticipate the recoil
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by S&W 10mm; February 1st, 2009 at 02:00 PM.
    Reputation is what I strive for.

(Delaware County)

Default Re: Went Shooting Today

Would it be silly of me to suggest professional training and practice?

If you were pulling shots left or low I might be able to tell you what's wrong, but inconsistency is not so easily diagnosed.

We've all been there at some point. Pistols are not easy to shoot. Remember that the U.S. Military thought about replacing pistols with M1 Carbines.

You buy thousands of rounds of ammo, and spend hours at the range, and bit by bit you'll get better. Working with someone who's already been through it helps a lot.
    Removed NRA Life Member pic. LaPierre and Chris Cox are ruining NRA.

Probably only a handful of people who did the class that was not a class at one of the groups shoots in PMSC will understand this, but think of your favorite song, bend the knees just a little and transfer your weight from one leg to the other back and forth, stop a second take a shot. Sway side to side again, stop take a shot...

Seems silly, but the mere fact your knees are bent transfers the recoil differently, while the knees are bent, you lean forward, the way you should when your shooting, the Irony is, while your swaying back and forth and stopping to do your shot, you will forget to flinch.
    When you sway from side to side, keep the gun on target, after a while you wont need to stop swaying and the gun will stay right on target.

When you first start to do this, look at what your gun will be doing, a large sideways 8 figure will seem to appear. Work to reduce this 8 to a pinpoint in the center of your target.

If you are on a range where you can move, once your centered on target from a standstill, start walking always knees bent towards your target. Same thing, keep the gun on target and shoot on the move.

What most men do, and most women do not do, and this is why woman usually shoot better then men when they start is. Stand up stiff as a board. Put their chests out; stiffen the arms to the point of getting cramps and hold on to the gun like their lives depended on it.

Your body should be semi relaxed, the knees bent will reduce the stress on the arms and shoulders, Your head and neck should be slightly forward and looking up to the sights.

By standing straight as a board, your head is stiff and back, the recoil hits your wrist, elbows, shoulders, neck and your head does a very slight whiplash… the brain says WOAH!! Commands the wrists to stop the shock before it hits the elbows. The only way to do this is what is called anticipating, while the finger pulls the trigger, the wrists break down to try and stop the shock that is coming…

By leaning forward a bit with the knees bent, the shock bypasses to the weaker area, so your knees not being locked in place take the shock, as they are used to this from walking running and jumping, they do not try to control the body to anticipate.

Your finger squeezes the trigger, then the wrists take a slight jolt, some thing they can do easily as they are meant to do this, the elbows flex reducing more of the jolt, the shoulders receive a slight jolt, the head being forward holds your neck in place by its own weight, and the rest of the jolt can only go down to the knees where it is not even felt other then a slight push down.

I know, sounds silly, but try it, tell me how it works out for you.

Try to notice the knees in these videos, none lock the knees.

Now on the move, I realize, you where not talking about moving yet, but this is what your shooting leads to, when your knees are bent, you can turn and move just like a tank goes straight and the turret turns, while stiff like a board, you can not do this.

Hope this helps you!
    Last edited by Frenchy; February 1st, 2009 at 11:38 AM.
    Skeet is a sport where you are better to hit half of each bird then completely blast one and miss the other completely.

The choice is yours, place your faith in the court system and 12 of your peers, or carried away by 6 friends.

Nemo Me Impune Lacessit. 'Nobody provokes me with impunity'
    ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

In this world there's two kinds of people, my friend. Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig.
    Clint Eastwood
    The Good, The Bad and The Ugly

(Lancaster County)

Im just surprised that this is the third response and no one has mentioned the use of the word "clips" yet.

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by bripro View Post
    Im just surprised that this is the third response and no one has mentioned the use of the word "clips" yet.
    I just saw the thread, and was going to mention it

Must have been some interesting modifications done to the guns to make them accept clips instead of magazines...
    Safety is a good tool for tyrants; no one can be against safety.

Μολὼν λαβέ

i posted this on glocktalk and ragu1macrider mentioned the fact about shooting more than 1 gun in one session...all different angles and calibers....and what i really noticed is the fact that i wasnt changing my postition on the guns sights....and i was not really focusing on hitting in the exact same spot although i was aiming center the whole time. thanks for the help, and bripro, and imerialism2024 where did i use the word clips in stead of magazines??? by the way i brought the sigma with me today and later i am going to just shoot 13 shots and really focus on the center and take my time to see if i can get it consistent and it was just me rushing my shots which i hope is all that i doing, also i am going to bend my knees i do not know if i bend my knees regarless or i dont but i will see when i shoot today and make my self bend them

(York County)

Just out of curiosity, What grip are you using to hold the pistol ? I am
    a believer that any shooter has to master the basics of:
    1. Stance
    2. Grip
    3. Sight Alignment
    4. Sight Picture
    5. Breath Control
    6. Trigger Squeeze
    7. Follow Through
    I know that this "Old Stuff" to a lot of shooters, but somewhere in these
    "Magnificent Seven" is where the problem lies.
    Working with an expierenced shooter is always a good idea. Detect/Correct.
    FUNDAMENTALS

"All that is needed for Evil to Prevail is for Good Men to
    do Nothing"

http://www.ar15.com/content/page.html?id=290
    Study this grip, that will help.

While your watching tv on the pc take your pistol & practice
    dry fires. After studying the grip I posted a link to, take
    your pistol get your grip EXCATELY like your going
    to shoot. Your grip must be the same for each & every shot.
    Once you got your grip right look down your sights at the front
    post..squeeze the trigger..when it breaks make sure your front
    sight post does not move. Do this over & over & do each
    step excately the same each time. Everything must be the
    same every time. This will give you the practice & method
    to lead you to shooting smaller groups. It's just consistency
    you want..time after time the same each & every time.

What a lot of people don't realize is your hand works
    with your fingers like a partnership. Well you've got
    to train your trigger finger to function without even
    thinking about the hand. Sounds simple but pulling a
    shot is what happens when they are still working
    together. Constant, repeating dry firing will help
    to sever that partnership.

As you practice your grip it become more evident
    because you must practice a firm grip & that finger
    must be relaxed, at ease..seperate from the hand
    Last edited by Ronnies111; February 1st, 2009 at 06:30 PM.

heres the target i shot today with 6 shots...i pulled twice very badly which i cannot believe i pulled that bad. the other 4 were pretty well placed and i realize i just need to perfect my technique...im finding the perfect grip and stance and going to shoot sometime soon and figure out what works best for me thanks guys and if you'd like id love to see the various stances and grips. im googling them now but if you'd like to post em i definately will study them
    Attached Images Attached Images

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by bripro View Post
    Frigging clip nazis

I have the same problem but I am getting better. I am not used to blowing off more than one round at a time. The best advice I can give is aim small, miss small. I reduced the black area of my targets to just a center dot.