Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Lancaster County)

Default Research for Georgia license

So ive been researching georgia carry laws for my dad. He wants to get his license to carry and lives in georiga. The problem is his "place of residence" is florida, that way he doesnt have to pay georgia income taxes on his retirement. He retired in Florida and moved to georgia. So he is worried that if he goes for his carry permit they will see that he isnt paying georgia state taxes ( he does pay property and school taxes on he georgia house). Well i was looking to see if there was a way for him to get his permit without this happening. In doing this i found out the process to get your permit in georgia is a real pain. Here it is ....

"The probate court clerk will process and fill out the application and give you 2 fingerprint cards. The cost for this is usually $15. You will then go to your local sheriff's office and take with you your completed application, depending on the county you may have to take 2 ink-type fingerprints cards and a money order for the amount of $26 made payable to the G.B.I. or if your county uses digital prints you will just need $19.25. You will be fingerprinted while at the sheriff's office and they may charge a $5 fee for fingerprinting. The sheriff's office will then collect your application, money order, and send them to the G.B.I. for processing. It usually takes between 5-50 days (depending on if ink or digital prints were used) for the G.B.I. and F.B.I. to process the application before sending it back to the probate court judge who will then issue the license if no disqualifying information is found during the background check. Your Georgia Firearms License exempts the holder from a NICS background check when you go to buy a firearm."

Tell me if that is not a pain compared to PA. So i still havnt figured out what he can do. My sugestion was he get his FLorida permit because georgia has a reciprical agreement anyways.
    Last edited by riverpirate; January 31st, 2009 at 01:00 PM.
    No longer posting