Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 51112131415
    (Chester County)

Default Re: 302 Expungement -- Please Help

Do you think you could help me with my process? I live in coatesville to and can not find a lawyer to help with restoring my rights from a 302 in 1995. I just retired from the Marine Corps but can't own a weapon. I would really appreciate advice or help.

Quote Originally Posted by Tomtommit View Post
    Do you think you could help me with my process? I live in coatesville to and can not find a lawyer to help with restoring my rights from a 302 in 1995. I just retired from the Marine Corps but can't own a weapon. I would really appreciate advice or help.
    We're still at the point where the number of lawyers willing to take that job is much higher than the number of lawyers capable of restoring your rights with any degree of certainty.

The system is broken, the prohibition is based on a false assumption that anyone who was ever checked in for a psych evaluation is forever more dangerously insane. That's provably false.

It's being worked on. We can fix this with a good court case, or with a better state statute, or with funding of the ATF's restoration process. But right now, MOST people who go to court to get relief are wasting their money and time. Because the system is broken.
    Attorney Phil Kline, AKA gunlawyer001@gmail.com
    Ce sac n'est pas un jouet.

(Bucks County)

Wow. I don't know which is the worst kind of frustration....to be the victim of the system, or to have huge investments in education and discipline in practice of law, and have no legal system to work with.

(Bucks County)

Reading some of the posts from years ago there were numerous references to losing the Keyes case and how that was bad for anyone trying to get their rights back. I have not kept up with all of the details but I thought Keyes recently won his case and can own firearms.

Has anything changed now?

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Bang View Post
    Wow. I don't know which is the worst kind of frustration....to be the victim of the system, or to have huge investments in education and discipline in practice of law, and have no legal system to work with.

Yeah, ummm... I'm pretty sure there's no comparison there whatsoever.
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by skyjerk View Post
    Thomas,

I had a pair of 302's on my record from way back in 1996.

I had them expunged last year.
    My lawyer was Michael Gottlieb of Norristown, PA
    He did a good job and today I am the proud owner of legal firearms.
    Hi skyjerk, I have just contacted, him thanks for the referral. how difficult was the process and do you remember how much it cost?
    Last edited by Mangojuice4u; January 16th, 2018 at 12:16 PM. Reason: Error

Quote Originally Posted by Mangojuice4u View Post
    Hi skyjerk, I have just contacted, him thanks for the referral. how difficult was the process and do you remember how much it cost?
    You'll probably find the costs will vary based on location to the lawyer of your choice and complexity. I used another lawyer that was located about 3 hours or so because he was highly recommended. The travel and actual hearing will likely be the most expensive parts for you followed by them writing briefs.

It also isn't a quick process, mine was about 13 months from starting initial contact with my lawyer to getting a verdict. That whole process to that point cost me about $12k. The good news is I won, the bad news is the PSP appealed it so that means more money and time spent waiting. I'm over 2 years from where I started and it's probably going to be at least another 6 months, I'm also now near $20k deep in it.

Talk with a lawyer and they can give you some rough idea but be prepared to spend money for a possible appeal or reconsideration motions etc.
    Last edited by widgetman101; January 16th, 2018 at 02:42 PM.

(Lycoming County)

I flied and appeal for expungement 2 years ago and had my first hearing on Friday last week. I can tell you my lawyer sucks and to get a good one. My lawyer didn't talk about law. He is just trying to prove I am not a danger to myself or others. My wife is there as a witness saying it was a one time event. I was ordered to have a psychological evaluation. My lawyer has not got me an appointment yet. I feel for you buddy. THis isn't fair. It's a red flag law. Take away rights and you have to spend a fortune getting them back. I only have 1000 in it so far but I didn't get the bill for the hearing yet. The state police attorneys will be at your hearing after you file an appeal. They bring up all past offences of your entire life. They brought up my simple assault from 31 years ago. They brought up getting caught by the game warden for a loaded crossbow in my vehicle. Take your time and you be the boss of the lawyer and make him or her do what you paid them for. I feel like anybody that this happened to is my friend so take care and good luck.

(York County)

Getting ready to go in for a hearing in two weeks with the Attorney General. Have done my homework as a former Military Police and instructor for The MP School. Noting one law for relief of ban, and the other for expungement of records, also the one that states the AG can order both if you are over 70 years old and have no incidents or commitments during the past 10 years. If your results haven't worked with a bar card attorney that just took your money , hold on and I will get back with you when my hearing is over with how my case worked out without paying some shyster money Graber. The bar of firearms possession relief is under one law and the expungement of medical records of commitment (302) is another. The 70 year and 10 year I believe is new so hold out until I present my case by myself. No, I am not an attorney I just know how to research. State relief doesn't always mean Fed relief. Be careful.

(Adams County)

I read somewhere that you have 6 years from the 302 commitment to get a record expunged. Is this true? Also how do I confirm that there is a 302 in effect? There was no 302 hearing

Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 51112131415