Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default Newbie loading 45 ACP from 9mm

Hi Guys,
    Relatively new to reloading. Have loaded several thousand rounds of 9mm with no hiccups.
    Going to start loading for my 45 XD service. Anything I need to know? Any changes in the the technique I should know? Not talking about primers and stuff. The technique itself. What I should be aware of.
    Using a Classic Turret Press & Lee 4 pc Carbide die set, Win 231 or Tite-Group. Just looking for a soft load. Not really sure about FMJ's or lead yet. Dont have any bullets yet, so I am open for suggestions about that.
    I have read from various forums that XD's dont like SWC. Lead is cheaper to shoot than FMJ. Cant shoot lead from my G19, so dont have any experience with lead.
    If I go the lead route, is there anything I need to differently loading lead in 45 ACP?
    Is there anything I need to do differently in loading 45 ACP from loading 9mm in general?
    There's no such thing as a good gun. There's no such thing as a bad gun. A gun in the hands of a bad man is a very dangerous thing. A gun in the hands of a good person is no danger to anyone except the bad guys."
    -- Charlton Heston, 15 Sep 1997

Default Re: Newbie loading 45 ACP from 9mm

.45 ACP works beautifully with cast, much better than 9mm, IMHO, and you can save a bundle of bucks.

I think it's also easier to load for. The 9mm is tiny, and a relatively small mistake will trash accuracy, and perhaps your gun.

Biggest change I'd recommend is to try some cast bullets. I personally recommend Better Bullets from Kings Shooter's Supply in King of Prussia. If you aren't near them, you can order them. Good prices.

http://www.betterbullets.com/

Click on "Current Cast Bullet Prices" to check out what they've got.
    "Never give up, never surrender!" Commander Peter Quincy Taggart

(Bucks County)

I've ordered from betterbullets.com and was satisfied with what I got. The only problem is, they are also in PA, so sales tax bumped up the price $9 for the 2k I ordered. If you live in PA, it is more cost effective to buy outside PA. Give Mike a call at mastercastbullets.com. Very nice guy with good prices. Personally, I wouldn't order anything less than 2k at a time from anyone. So expect to shell out about $150 for the 2k delivered.
    I had a Glock 21 that I put an aftermarket barrel on for shooting lead bullets through it. Worked great. I'm not sure what the deal is with XD's.
    As for reloading the 45, I've only loaded lead bullets with a formula of 4.9-5.1grains of W231 for a 200gr SWC bullet. Light taper crimp. I've also had good results with 5.2grains of Titegroup for the same 200gr SWC.
    The hotter you load for lead bullets, the more you will experience leading in your barrel. The loads I stated above will give good results with minimal to no leading.

Quote Originally Posted by JoeWilliams View Post
    . I personally recommend Better Bullets from Kings Shooter's Supply in King of Prussia. If you aren't near them, you can order them. Good prices.

http://www.betterbullets.com/

Click on "Current Cast Bullet Prices" to check out what they've got.
    +1 On the Better Bullets.
    Dunkelbergers in Stroudsberg stocks them. (If they're not sold out.)

RD

(Delaware County)

I got some lead bullets to try from better bullets in 9mm. I'm going to load them this weekend hopefully.
    Peace, Prosperity, and Liberty

.45 is a joy to load for. If you are looking for a nice soft yet accurate load, try a 230 grn FMJ or plated over 4.3 grns of Titegroup. I have loaded and shoot many of these, and they are really nice. You can bump it up to 4.7-4.8 if you want something more closely resembling factory hardball. I have the Classic Turret also, and I love it. I have recently bought a G19 and am beginning to load 9mm for it. What Titegroup loads have you developed or used? with 115 grn FMJ? Happy Shooting!