Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Westmoreland County)

Default How to get started in collecting

Hey im dave and im from Pittsburgh. Im new to the whole firearm scene. For about a year now ( ever since i turned 18 ) I've been interested in collecting old military firearms like M1s and civil war weapons..Anyways my question is How would I go about to do this? Would I need anything like a permit or even if, is the minimal age to own firearms 18??? I'm not looking for hunting firearms or target shooting just collecting real working firearms.

I know this is probably a stupid question but just looking for some advise and suggestions maybe even a good shop around the Pittsburgh area that could help me out and get started
    Thanks, Dave

(Monroe County)

Default Re: How to get started in collecting

The 2 biggest things you need to collect the firearms you name is an 03 C&R (to cut down paperwork) and a BIG FAT wallet (self explanatory).

If you are only looking for long guns then 18 would be the age you can start. I'm not sure if you can get the C&R at 18 because there are C&R handguns.

Hope that helps.

Rich W.

(Tioga County)

Your not going to like my answer.

Here it is anyway.

Get books on collectable firearms, and read them. It's difficult to get colletables if you don't know what your looking for. You need to know what it is your looking at and what your looking for in what your looking at before you buy. For example A lot of early firearms had the parts stamped with the same serial number and the receiver or at least part of the serial number. If the number match or don't match can make a huge difference in the value. Some particular years and models of firearms can alter the value greatly A 98 Mauser can be anywhere from a under $100 gun to something that belongs under a glass case with a guard. Older pieces like some flintlock pistols are nice but not of much value but with the right makers mark are priceless. If you want to collect you need to know what your collecting.

Quote Originally Posted by LuckyDave View Post
    Hey im dave and im from Pittsburgh. Im new to the whole firearm scene. For about a year now ( ever since i turned 18 ) I've been interested in collecting old military firearms like M1s and civil war weapons..Anyways my question is How would I go about to do this? Would I need anything like a permit or even if, is the minimal age to own firearms 18??? I'm not looking for hunting firearms or target shooting just collecting real working firearms.

I know this is probably a stupid question but just looking for some advise and suggestions maybe even a good shop around the Pittsburgh area that could help me out and get started
    Thanks, Dave

(Philadelphia County)

I second the motion to do research.

Massive amounts of research.

Then, find a particular style, or time period you like, and focus on that.
    ==============
    “If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquillity of servitude than the animating contest of freedom, — go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen!”
    ~Samuel Adams

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it."
    ~Thomas Jefferson, 1791

(Erie County)

http://www.atf.gov/dcof/index.htm

There's the link to the ATF for forms. You do have to be 21 to get your CR as it also allows you to buy handguns.

(Allegheny County)

If you wanted a quick "collection" and aren't concerned about collector value, I'd say go to Dunham's and ask for one of each model on the rack. They carry a lot of surplus rifles, but many have no real collector value. Mostly shooters.
    Actually, ignore this post as I just remembered you don't seem to be interested in shooting them.
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Dauphin County)

Cool Re: How to get started in collecting

Yes research is great and necessary but in order to collect anything you gotta buy it....Come on get started we're all counting on you!