Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Chester County)

Default I confess. I feel so dirty and ashamed.

So, this afternoon I'm sitting on my couch. I've just had a nice, filling brunch, and I'm making the most of the long weekend by slowly drifting off to sleep. The baby is sleeping, our three dogs are outside doing whatever it is that dogs do, and the wife is working on her computer. I drift off into a lovely dream. And just as I'm getting to the part where Maggie Gyllenhaal takes off her shirt, she turns to me, taps her fingers loudly on the glass doors and yells "Damn it! Stop barking, you're going to wake the baby!"

"Whaathafark?"

I open my eyes, and see my wife, pounding on the glass doors and yelling at our dogs.

Shit.

My nap, ruined. Maggie? Gone.

She looks at me and says: "God, I don't know how you can sleep with all the noise they're making."

And that's when I made my first mistake. I looked at my wife and, though I don't recall the specific words, mentioned something about doing just fine with my nap until some imbecile decided to start yelling and banging on the glass. She responded with something snarky. I inquired as to how someone could have gotten a doctorate by 25, be a professor at an Ivy, and yet be so lacking in common sense as not to realize that pounding on a door and yelling tends to have the effect of waking up most folks.

And it went downhill from there. The last exchange was:

"Fine, prick, I don't know why you always need to overreact, you're so insensitive."

"Screw it, I'm going to the range."

So off I went.

I hop in the Evo, crank some Dead or Alive (I'm married, obviously, so don't even start with giving me any shit about what my taste in driving music implies), cruise down the driveway, let the turbo warm and spool for a couple of minutes, and then wind it up to about a buck or so. I get to Route 1, merge smoothly, and the Ipod transitions to a little Clan of Xymox.

Things are looking up.

I figure I'll hit the range, put a few rounds down my S&W Model 19-3, and then head home after I've cooled down a bit. I pull up at the range -- and it's packed. I'm instantly pissed off again, and grinding my teeth about my wasted nap. I'm consumed by thoughts of how to pay back my wife for the bullshit she pulled.

And then I see her -- just lounging there -- amidst all the trash crowding the counter looking for a lane tag.

Dark and smooth, she had that "been around the block before" look that instantly makes me salivate. Normally I don't go for that "kind." Just not my type, quite frankly. I'm not prejudiced or anything. I just know what I like, and that isn't usually it. And she was a bit dirty, but then again, I like dirty. I had to have her. I was going to have her, and damn the consequences.

I clear my throat.

"Hey, _______, c'mere. Lemme see that Glock 19."

"Funny, Rule, don't be a dick. It's busy, and I haven't seen you shoot a Glock, much less touch one, in years. Don't waste my time. You're not going to buy it. You only shoot revolvers and your HK P7 these days."

"C'mon. My wife picked a fight, I need to buy something."

"Again? When's she gonna learn? The last time you bought that Colt AR. And you hate 5.56. You said you were going to use it for poodle hunting."

"Yeah, so, I'll take it, then."

So, long story long, this is how I bought a used Glock 19 today. I'm haven't been the biggest Glock fan lately. Ever since I sold my G26 to MarkS, I've been pretty much a revolver guy -- with the recent interest in the HK P7 series. I don't like guns that aren't perfectly reliable, and revolvers and the P7 are the only guns that are 100% reliable and fun for me to shoot.

It was covered in grunge, but no obvious abuse, mag well plug, and a heavy but excellent trigger. I stripped it quickly -- it had a + connector, but a stock trigger spring. I bought 50 rounds of garbage hardball, and a box of Remington +p+ 115 gr. JHP. I figure if I'm going to buy a Glock, I'm going to make the most of it and feed it ridiculously hot ammo (my P7 is babied, I admit it).

I roll the target out to 15 yards, load up a mag full of garbage hardball. I giggle to myself, thinking, "Goddamn plastic gun. Plastic mushy trigger. 5" group, here I come."

I launch 15 aimed shots downrange, offhand, unsupported. I blink. I blink again. I pull the target in: No mistake. 14 rounds center black, tight sub-3" group. I had one "flinch" flyer out of the black low, left.

I'm floored -- I've never shot a stock Glock this well. This gun shot almost as well as my P7, and cost 1/4. It digested everything without fail.

I took it home, stripped it completely, cleaned everything up (it was filthy). Replaced the + connector with a Ghost 3.5lb connector, pulled out the stock trigger spring and popped in a NY1 kit.

Dry fire: Like heaven. At that point, I'm still puzzled why the thing was so damned accurate. A 3" group (14 shots, no less!) with me at the helm, at 15 yards, with garbage hardball is something I've only been able to do with my P7 or my revolvers. Never with any other auto -- even my Gold Cup.

I check the slide to frame fit -- tight. Real tight. I check the barrel lockup. Real tight.

I don't know how it happened, but I ended up with one of the tightest and most accurate Glocks I've ever seen.

Amazing.

But I still feel dirty, though.
    The material presented herein is for informational purposes only, is not guaranteed to be correct, complete, or up to date, does not constitute legal advice and does not establish an attorney-client relationship. You should NOT act or rely on any information in this post or e-mail without seeking the advice of an attorney YOU have retained.

In plain English, while I am an attorney, I'm NOT your attorney, and I'm NOT giving you legal advice.

Thumbs up Re: I confess. I feel so dirty and ashamed.

I had a simialr experiance with a Glock 23 the other day, no fight with the wife though, and I didn't buy the 23, but I know what you mean about not touching one for a while and then being impressed with it after shooting one...I about blew out the "X" ring at 15 yards with the 23.
    "We shoot to stop. ... Unfortunately, death can be a byproduct."

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: I confess. I feel so dirty and ashamed.

That must have been some "difference of opinion" to make you go that road.

I'm gonna have to get one of them there 9mm Glocks. Problem for me is hand size. My Glock 32 and 23 both make me bleed when exchanging mags quickly.

I think I'm just about at my Glock 17 threshold.

Good read Rule

27hand
    Opinions are like anal apertures. They all stink but mine.

(Allegheny County)

Rule,
    I enjoyed the story.

I had a good Glock day too, just brought home a Blackhawk Carbon Fiber SERPA holster to try out. By try out, I mean I'm gonna try carrying my G19 which usually sits alone in the bedroom waiting for bad guys like the Maytag repairman waits for a phone call.

Congrats on the new purchase!
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Centre County)

Freaky... We have similar tastes in music ... and guns. I own almost every Xymox CD, and I have two P7s (an M8 and a PSP).
    I know what you mean about feeling dirty with the Glunk. Even if it shot 99% as well as the P7, I'd still go with the P7 if limited between the two.

(Philadelphia County)

AHAHAHAHA!!! You can't stay away forever! Really, your straying away from the glock was just your way of coping with you selling me your glock. That was the denial phase.
    Last edited by MarcS; April 7th, 2007 at 09:38 PM.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Rule10b5 View Post
    So, this afternoon I'm sitting on my couch.
    aka, "How Mike Hammer met his new Gat."

Quote Originally Posted by Rule10b5 View Post
    ... I inquired as to how someone could have gotten a doctorate by 25, be a professor at an Ivy, and yet be so lacking in common sense as not to realize that pounding on a door and yelling tends to have the effect of waking up most folks....
    I'm pondering a theory that the education process may be curved or perhaps circular. Education enlightens only so far, and beyond a certain point appears to diminish basic intelligence (ie, common sense). Over-educated back to ignorance, as it were. Can anyone else relate a similar observation?

(Lawrence County)

Perception is everything.

Once you have the paradigm that the Glock is a workhorse, you forget to see the thoroughbred within.

Open your eyes....embrace the Gaston dream...........then 5 years later go 2011 because you get bored.....

Lycanitslikepubertythrope

I taught Chuck Norris to bump-fire.

(York County)

lol! That story made me laugh. You should be putting stuff like that down for folks to read... for $$$

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast