Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Allegheny County)

Default carrying as a bounty hunter

Do you need the act 235 if you are a self-employed bounty hunter or can you carry on your LTCF license?

(Bucks County)

Default Re: carrying as a bounty hunter

dont quote me, im not sure, but i would think you need to be 235 certified. otherwise theyd try and say you were looking for trouble, or something like that. "duty to retreat" or some such
    i got shot, you should buy my stuff

(Philadelphia County)

I would imagine that your LTFC would just not be enough.

The case could be made in court that as a self employed bounty hunter, you'd become the agreessor, and your "victim" had to defend themselves.

Better yet, contact a proper lawyer, and fork out the money to have your question answered correctly.
    ==============
    “If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquillity of servitude than the animating contest of freedom, — go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen!”
    ~Samuel Adams

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it."
    ~Thomas Jefferson, 1791

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by LorDiego01 View Post

The case could be made in court that as a self employed bounty hunter, you'd become the agreessor, and your "victim" had to defend themselves.

Better yet, contact a proper lawyer, and fork out the money to have your question answered correctly.
    I agree. Get a real legal opinion on this issue.

Also, IMO even the Act-235 will not cover you in PRNJ or NY so you will be limited to PA. Good luck.

The "Bail Recovery Agent" is not required by the Bail Agent to carry a firearm, which the Recovery Agent is usually a self employed sub contractor, the LTCF is enough, in PA. There are states which require a license to do either job, so in other states I am not sure of.
    -Remember the Constitution-

Quote Originally Posted by LorDiego01 View Post

In every court it has been tried, the bail is a civil contract. Once you sign you are the property of the bail agent until such contract is fulfilled.
    -Remember the Constitution-

(Monroe County)

Arrow Re: carrying as a bounty hunter

Quote Originally Posted by dab86 View Post
    Do you need the act 235 if you are a self-employed bounty hunter or can you carry on your LTCF license?
    The best place to ask this question would be:
    Pennsylvania State Police
    Lethal Weapons Certification
    8002 Bretz Drive
    Harrisburg, PA 17112
    (717) 346-4087

Even if it is not required, Act 235 certification would be very beneficial to you. In the course of the proram you will learn the laws of The Commonwealth and how they apply to use of force, how to properly write an incident report, proper use of a firearm, etc... Just remember Act 235 doesn't give any special authority or any type of police powers.

more info:
    http://www.psp.state.pa.us/psp/cwp/b...BCOB=0&C=33305

(Dauphin County)

Since I am a Bail Enforcement Agent (the proper term for a Bounty Hunter) myself, I'll be happy to answer this question to the best of my legal knowledge.

DISCLAIMER: I AM NOT AN ATTORNEY! THIS IS NOT LEGAL ADVICE! This is simply information based provided on my experience/education through my work in the Bail Enforcement/Recovery field.

As stated on the PSP Website, Act 235 Certification is only needed if carrying a firearm is a REQUIREMENT of employment. Since it is NOT a requirement of my job to carry a firearm, I'm not techincally required to have my Act 235.

I will say though that it's not a bad idea. The class definitely gives some good training and education on the legalities of using a firearm in that type of work, as well as some good training on the use of force (lethal and non-lethal).

Either way, my purpose for carrying a firearm while performing my duties is simple: SELF-DEFENSE! The gun NEVER clears its holster unless MY LIFE IS IN IMMINENT DANGER!

I've been trained, and also train my agents who work underneath me, that if we can walk/run/drive away to safety, we do so and contact local PD or Sheriff's Department to come in and assist. (Typically, we've already contacted the County Dispatch and advised them who we are, where we are, and what we're doing. Most times they send an extra patrol unit or two into the area while we're there in case assistance is needed.)

I'd recommend anyone looking to join this type of work to get some training in with someone already in the field, or to come to the field with some prior military/law enforcement/public safety background; and to know what you can (and especially what you cannot) legally do when attempting to locate and take a defendant into custody.

Hope this helps.

-38SnubFan

(Lehigh County)

Hello my name is Bryan Watson and I am researching different sites about the rules and laws need to become a fugitive recovery agent( bounty hunter) in the state of PA. I was look at taking classes to become certified. This training program in Harrisburg is called Fugitive Recovery Training. Since you are a experienced Agent, I wanted to ask you for advice as How to start off in the right direction. My email is watson.bryan88@gmail.com if you could please email me and give me some advice and point me in the right direction, Please.

Thank you,

Bryan Watson

(Wayne County)

Quote Originally Posted by dab86 View Post
    Whats bounty hunter got to do with hunting? Is he talking about buffalo or people? If its people please move this to legal.