Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast
    (Dauphin County)

Default SHTF at my apartment today....need some advice please

Still a little rattled up but heres what went down.

I OC'ed a Mentally Challenged Person

I went home today for a extended lunch b/c my lady had off today and she was making lunch ect. I get home and go into the back bed room of my apartment which is a fairly big apartment about 1600 sq ft. Im looking for some letter i got in the mail the other day, and I hear the doorbell ring. My gf goes to answer the door, and all I hear is, "You want to use the Bathroom" and then I herd a loud noise and Her just yell My Name, and I knew something was up just by the way she yelled my name. I grabbed my can of Fox Labs OC that I had sitting on my desk. I rounded my hallway corner to a 6' ish black man in my house. I started to say stop but he stuck out his arms and just kept coming and I opened that Fox Labs up on his face when he was about 2 feet from me. I hit him with a good 3-4 second blast, and I myself got a good hit in my own face from the residual floating around in the room. This guy dropped like a fly screaming and holding his face on my floor, I gathered the dog and my girlfriend and drew my Kahr and my GF was already on the phone with the police. Meanwhile my front door is open and this other guy sees whats going on and starts walking toward my door untill he sees my gun he stops and asks if im ok and what is going on. I said this man forced his way into my house and knocked over my girlfirend at the front door. The guy comes closer he is about 20 feet away from me as I am at the end of the hallway and he is at my front door, I still have my knee in the middle of this guys back at gun point... he is still crying and screaming ect. So the guy at the door say i know that man and I was LOOKING FOR HIM!!!! WTF he explains that he was at the front apartment office looking for another patient and this guy got out of his van and wondered off and that he is mentally retarded.

The police arrive ( they seems to have a good response time around here under 10 min) I told my girl friend to meet him out side the door and tell him what is going on. I reholstered my firearm before the officer got into the house and he placed the man on the ground in handcuffs and took him outside. All 3 of us and the small crowd that gathered were explaining what happend and we did in fact find out that the man was mentally challenged. The short version was the officer said he could press charges on the man for some kind of forced entry and asked me if I wanted to press charges to which i said no, just because he was retarded and prob. didnt know what he was doing and prob. really did have to use the bathroom.

So then this guy that was SOPOSED to be watching this guy starts telling the officer what he seen ect ect and basically the point he wanted to make was I had this guy at gun point until the police got there. The officer asked me if this was true and I said it was because at the time I didnt know he was mentally retarted or what his intentions were, the officer said OK. Then looked back at this guy that was SOPOSED to be watching this man and basically tore him a new asshole. Saying that he was lucky that this man that was OC'ed wasnt shot dead ect ect and that since he forced his way into my home that I was perfectly within the law to do so. At no point did the officer ask for my LTCF or take my firearm ect.

They called the ambulance for this get to get his eyes cleaned out...and mine which I could barely keep open and my nose was running out of control from the OC. Although I must say the people in the ambulance gave me some sudecon wipes? They helped really well. My eyes still hurt I had to call off of work because of my nose, eyes, and I have a major headache.

Like I said, im still a bit rattled from all of this...i think i handled my self really well considering I took some OC in my face also while this whole thing was going on, my dog now hates my because he got some OC in his nose and ran away (worthless) and my GF now who was spose dot leave for Indania tonight for a funeral may have to wait til tomorrow bc she bumped her head pretty bad when he forced the door open on her. I prob. left some othe details out if I think of anything I left out I will add it later. As far as I know im not in any trouble the officer said, and that we were the victum and was glad I didnt get trigger happy, which he and the other officers laughed at and I didnt find funny the least bit. The officer told me that this guy that forced his way into my house also lives in the same apartment complex that I live in also.

NOW...I do have some questions

I feel real bad about this situation and the guy...after finding out his situation being mentally challenged and all I think he was more scared than I was. I was thinking I should stop by his place tommarrow sometime and just try to see if he is OK and just explain my side to him and see how he is feeling ect?

Secondly, My GF, I have told her many times that we have a chain lock for a reason...I want to try to re-explain to her to USE IT but I dont want her to feel like im yelling or mad at her in any way..how can I go about educating her on the lock and this whole situation in general.

Default Re: SHTF at my apartment today....need some advice please

You would only apologise if you did something wrong. You didn't, he is lucky indeed that he didn't get perforated.

If your girlfriend can't figure out on her own, after that, to use the chain on the door, then I don't think you yelling at her is going to make much of a difference.
    Go sell crazy some where else, we're all stocked up here.

Political power grows from the muzzle of a gun.

(Chester County)

Hold her tight, let her know you're glad she's OK, let her know how shaken up you were, and when you're both calm, talk about the chain, but use "we" not "you". "We" were lucky the guy wasn't armed and dangerous. "We" have to make sure "we" use the chain everytime. "We" should keep a can of OC closer to the door. If you say "you", you're pointing a finger, when you say "we", you're acknowledging it could have happened to you too.

Well, we may have to revoke your "BOOM HEADSHOT" .sig image, since you didn't, but it's always nice when something like this resolves itself without bloodshed.

I used to live in a complex that had a few assisted living arrangements, some of which worked out, and others that didn't work out in the least. That, and lower-end Section 8 tenants can make for fun times, especially when others come looking for them and think that they can treat your surroundings (and stuff) like their own property.

I'd find out which agency placed him there and then go through his caregivers, rather than going to him directly. It doesn't sound as though he's quite ready for being out and about yet, and seeing you so soon might upset him. Also, they're responsible for his presence there, and it sounds like they're mishandling things.

So, tell us, as inquiring minds want to know -- did he bust a bladder gasket all over your hallway wall-to-wall carpet?

(Lackawanna County)

Quote Originally Posted by crakkajakka15 View Post

I feel real bad about this situation and the guy...after finding out his situation being mentally challenged and all I think he was more scared than I was. I was thinking I should stop by his place tommarrow sometime and just try to see if he is OK and just explain my side to him and see how he is feeling ect?

Secondly, My GF, I have told her many times that we have a chain lock for a reason...I want to try to re-explain to her to USE IT but I dont want her to feel like im yelling or mad at her in any way..how can I go about educating her on the lock and this whole situation in general.
    number one: well done. the LEOs were right: the staffer is very goddamn lucky that his charge isn't dead. if it were my home, he would be, because i don't have any OC currently. people with disabilities aren't cute and cuddly like in movies. they are as dangerous, or even more, than normal people. i think your actions were textbook; cue applause.

number two: i'd consider contacting the agency that the real retard works for, for two reasons. #1, to make sure they know that one of their people nearly lost a client, literally. like i said, the disabled man might've been killed if you had no OC. the retard should lose his job. #2, to talk to the disabled guy, and make sure he's okay. they probably won't let you, but it wouldn't hurt to inquire after his well being.

i'd also look into getting an attorney for your GF. she was hurt because of another's complete idiocy, and might miss out on her trip. the retard messed up, almost got his charge killed, almost made you kill him, and your beloved got hurt in the process.

by the way, the fact that you are feeling bad spaeks volumes about your character. i'm proud to know you.

(York County)

Jesus dude!!!! That is some crazy stuff there. I am VERY GLAD that you and your girl are ok and in the end the right things happened. I dont know if others will find some faults in how you handled it bit personally ide say you did a great job. You know you dont need to apologized but if i where in your shoes I think I would be wanting to do the same thing about comfronting the man , I would be more worried about the asshat that was supposed to be watching the man trying to pull some crazy lawsuit type $hit , which may be a good reason to show that you care enough to make sure the man is ok , I dunno. Whatever happens , happens and again I think you done well.

edit to add .... perhaps king is right , maybe look into talking with his caregivers instaed of him , tough when your dealing with someone who is challenged.
    Last edited by 40twist; January 21st, 2009 at 03:13 PM.

(Montgomery County)

Sounds like you did very well. Scary on both sides I'm sure.

Re: The cops. LTCF was irrelevant - You were in your home.

Re: The GF. I doubt you need to say a thing again about the chain ... That point should have been made.

Re: The stop by ... tough judgment call. Even though you believe it is the right thing to do and even if your actions are unimpeachable on the facts, It does not mean that you will not be sued. The intruding man may not, but likely someone acting "in his interest" - parent, sibling, etc. who either knows him to be a gentle innocent, or is simply opportunistic. Even if you win, it will cost you time, energy, and $$$. Sadly, you may even be better off pressing charges against him. If you do go, just be careful to keep the discussion superficial and off the events that transpired. You should probably contact an attorney first J.I.C.

Take care of yourself, your GF, and your pup.

P.S. watch the dog to be sure it is OK too.
    Last edited by -JD-; January 21st, 2009 at 03:22 PM.

(Blair County)

Thank god no one talked you out of the Kahr.
    I am glad every thing worked out.
    I would have pressed charges so it wouldnt bite me in the ass. I would have probably dropped the charges if I could later.
    I would call the agency see if they were aware.

(Pike County)

Most all is well, no one is dead, and you did not go through a hugh hassell with the popo.
    If your GF is injured, have her go to a Dr. and have reports of this. Take pics of any injuries she or you have, no matter how small. DO NOT wait to do this, do it NOW. Not after a trip out of state.
    You NEED this in case some advocate for the disabled trys to make a big deal out of this.
    Buy 3 new OC canisters, and take the GF out in the wilds and have her spray one, to get used to it (not on a windy day), and get some of the wipes for your self. Put one by the door, and replace the one you used.
    Show the GF lot's of lovin, and buy her a box of GOOD candy (her fav), flowers, and have a nice, sweet training session on how to answer the door.
    Congrats on a well handled situation.

BTW, be sure that you have long screws in that chain lock, and a really heavy duty one, not the $2.99 Wally World special lock that many have, and install a peephole or camera on the door. Better yet, make the apt. put one in. It is negligent on the apt's end not to have a peephole and expose you to having to open the door blind.

(Beaver County)

I'm glad it turned out ok. We have a mentally retarded woman in our family. My sister "adopted" her, she is 62 years old. Some of them are amazing people with huge hearts full of love.... Others are as mean as a rabid dog. They are also known for being unusually violent when scared, and they are just as strong as you or me... they are easily able to hurt you. I am happy that you did no harm to the poor guy, as you said he was most likely much more scared than you....even if you don't think it is possable! I bet if you spoke to him, he would be feeling pretty bad. He most likely had no idea where he was, needed to pee, and knocked on a door. He may have felt that he was seconds from peeing his pants and was trying to run for a bathroom. He most likely did not want to hurt your wife or you, and did not understand what was happening to him or why. Please forgive him. I have been exposed to hundreds of mentally challanged people and found that for the most part, they are just like us. They want to be happy, some are moody, and they like to communicate with others. They don't always have the best approach... but like "normal" folks, they are usually meaning well...just misunderstood.

I don't think you did anything wrong at all. You may have prevented him from even hurting himself. Often when they get scared and loose it, you are forced to "Take them down" and contain them to prevent them from hurting themselves. You may well have prevented him from causing harm to himself just as much as you prevented him from harming you.

Larry

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast