Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BCG question

(Allegheny County)

Default BCG question

I found a guy selling what he says are Colt M16 bcg. They are listed as used, but he said that he got them in a trade and can't verify round count, etc.

One issue that I have is that the one that looks good, isn't staked. If it's not staked, how could it be used? I thought that they must be staked. So it's either new, or has had parts replaced.

Here are some pictures that he sent me. (it's the one on top)

Also, anyway to verify that's really a colt, and what would be a good price for this?
    Quote Originally Posted by GunLawyer001 View Post
    If the police could confiscate all of your guns and ammo using just one van, then you didn't own enough guns or ammo.
    WTB - NDS3 or NDS1 receiver FTF

(Centre County)

Default Re: BCG question

Not properly staked means he got them as parts and assembled them himself...incorrectly of course.

I don't remember if the colt bolt carrier had any identifying marks on it. So there may be no way to tell.

For about $110 bucks you can get a new BCG from LMT and be done with it.

If it were me i'd pass.

(Allegheny County)

I really wanted one from LMT but I was told the wait would be 18 - 24 weeks (4 to 6 months). That's a little long for me. Don't have that kind of patience.

However ... I called LaRue and they expect theirs to be ready in weeks, not months, so I just put in my order.
    If the police could confiscate all of your guns and ammo using just one van, then you didn't own enough guns or ammo.

(Montgomery County)

I just got a few complete S/A BCGs direct from LMT. Ordered 11/26 - Shipped around 1/12. When did you last talk to them?

You shouldn't look at carrier key staking as the end all decider on a carrier. A new key is about $7, screws a few bucks and staking a few minutes. It being MPI is something a bit more desirable in my book (LMT's are, among other's)

For me the checklist is

MPI
    M16

Still kinda undecided if I'd care about shot peening or hpt.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by -JD- View Post
    I just got a few complete S/A BCGs direct from LMT. Ordered 11/26 - Shipped around 1/12. When did you last talk to them?
    On Monday.

If this wasn't going to be my first AR, I would have more patience that I currently have. Seeing that this is my first, I'm itching to get it done.

(Westmoreland County)

If it isn't staked it isn't a Colt. Who would go to the trouble of buying a Colt BC, a Colt key and screws and then not stake them? And since he isn't the original owner I wouldn't trust that it is a Colt.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by TonyF View Post
    If it isn't staked it isn't a Colt. Who would go to the trouble of buying a Colt BC, a Colt key and screws and then not stake them? And since he isn't the original owner I wouldn't trust that it is a Colt.
    That's what I was thinking too. Glad I just ordered a new one.

Oh, I just receive an email from Bravo saying that their BCM M16 BCG are in ... for now. They will sell out fast. If I just didn't order one from LaRue, I would definitely jump on the BCM.

(Susquehanna County)

BCM is the way to go!

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by mojo View Post
    I really wanted one from LMT but I was told the wait would be 18 - 24 weeks (4 to 6 months). That's a little long for me. Don't have that kind of patience.

However ... I called LaRue and they expect theirs to be ready in weeks, not months, so I just put in my order.
    Hopefully you get it. LaRue isn't selling BCG's anymore. All kinds of drama over on AR15.com about it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast