Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default Mail order Ammo?

I was wondering what is involved in ordering ammo (in bulk) through the mail, like for instance, from CheaperThanDirt.com etc? I live in Allegheny county, and the reason I'm asking is because I'm never at home during normal bussiness, or more imortantly, normal delivery hours. Where I live you could leave a new Mercedes on my porch and no one would know it was there, let alone bother it until I got home from work.
    So my question is this:
    Do I have to physically be there to sign for my ammo?
    Sounds like a stupid question, but I recently read a blog where someone had said something to the effect of being happy to see their 1000 rounds of .223 waiting on their porch when they got home from work. I want 1000 rounds of .223 waiting for me when I get home from work too!
    "No one knows what’s next, but everybody does it," George Carlin

(Northampton County)

Default Re: Mail order Ammo?

It depends on the website.

I believe that some (most?) will ship it without requiring a signature so long as you put your driver's license on file with them. Basically... if they know you're 21 or older, they'll let the courier leave the ammo. If they can't confirm your age, they will require the courier to verify your age, which generally requires a signature.

Granted, when Walther sent my PPS back to me, UPS let my little brother (15 years old) sign for it....
    Safety is a good tool for tyrants; no one can be against safety.

Μολὼν λαβέ

I've ordered from ammunitiontogo.com and it didn't have to be signed for. It was shipped by FedEx.
    Bazinga

(Philadelphia County)

I've had the courier just leave the box in my hallway (west of philly)...

I've had another courier be too lazy to get the ammo off the truck, and instead just leave me the yellow sticker to go pick it up.. (south philly), I caught his lazy ass on the act.

On another place I lived, closer to Center City, Philly, the courier accepted my wife's signature, but not before asking her what type of ammo is in the box, how much is there, how much we felt we needed, where we were from (noticeable accents with both of us), what we planned to do with it, how long we had been living in the states... you get the idea.

Luckily I have the wife well trained, so her answers were, "I don't know, no idea, its for my husband" and "its non of your business".

I'm generally against just leaving it there, and prefer to pick it up in person, or work it out so me or my wife can sign for it at the door.
    ==============
    “If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquillity of servitude than the animating contest of freedom, — go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen!”
    ~Samuel Adams

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it."
    ~Thomas Jefferson, 1791

(Allegheny County)

Thanks a bunch for the info. I'd have no problem posting my drivers licence number. Some of the deals I've seen are well worth it. And with my local Wal-marts and Gander Mountains being fairly, well, not fairly... Goddamn wiped the @$%& out of .223 since the election. I almost don't have a choice.
    "No one knows what’s next, but everybody does it," George Carlin

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by LorDiego01 View Post
    On another place I lived, closer to Center City, Philly, the courier accepted my wife's signature, but not before asking her what type of ammo is in the box, how much is there, how much we felt we needed, where we were from (noticeable accents with both of us), what we planned to do with it, how long we had been living in the states... you get the idea.
    What courier company was this? Are the boxes marked as ammunition or did he know from the sender address?

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by Philbert View Post
    What courier company was this? Are the boxes marked as ammunition or did he know from the sender address?
    All ammunition must be labeled ORDM (or something like that, I forget) on the outside of the box. The courier was USPS.

The lazy one that made me go pick it up in person, was UPS.

You cannot ship ammo without properly labeling it, it is very much against the law.
    ==============
    “If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquillity of servitude than the animating contest of freedom, — go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen!”
    ~Samuel Adams

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it."
    ~Thomas Jefferson, 1791

(Lancaster County)

If they are shipping UPS and "Signature Required" you can tell the company shipping it to you to instruct UPS to hold it at their local terminal and call you so you can go in and pick it up (within 5 days). Be sure to supply the phone number. This usually works for me unless UPS is very busy. If the receiving UPS clerk is too busy, he/she may log into the system that you were called, when you weren't. The package will sit in the terminal for 5 days and get returned.

The way to avoid this is to also have the company you are buying from, e-mail you a tracking number. Then you can tell when the local UPS termenal gets it. You then go in with govt. issued photo id, sign for it and take it home.

(Chester County)

Never had to be home or sign. Gotten ammo from cheaper than dirt last month. previously ammoman and midwayusa.

UPS just puts on steps and rings bell. Never waits for me to answer door.

Contents are obvious with big ORD-M marking on box.

(Delaware County)

Thumbs up Re: Mail order Ammo?

Ordered from Wisconsin Cartridge. UPS delivered to the the front porch steps (HIGHLY VISIBLE from the street) and left in the rain along with anything else I've ever had delivered by UPS, despite printed instructions on the label to leave on screened in back porch.

Other than that, no problems.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast