Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Berks County)

Default 92FS Extensive Refurb

As some may have read I recently purchased a police consignment Beretta 92FS. The frame of the firearm was half a$$ly bead blasted around the grip and the rest of the firearm was left in shambles. The outside of the gun has nicks and scratches and general wear from serving with distinction for god knows how long. The reason for my purchase besides wanting one, was because the internal parts did not look to have that much wear. The barreling was sharp and the the rest of the parts were still black as they would have been from the factory.

Last night I spent the better part of my time completely disassembling the frame. A very good source for anyone wishing to do the same is
    http://beretta92fs.com/ . They have step by step video instructions on taking everything apart except the firing pin and safety/decocker.
    I took apart everything and soaked them in some Hopps over night to really get the gunk off. Everything looks great but I am wondering if I should replace the springs since I have it apart. Wolf makes a package with all the springs I need and they include some upgrades. Has anybody ever had any problems with Wolf? Will replacing the springs undo all the break in the gun has had? I really am happy with the trigger although long and heavy (lol) it is really really smooth and I don't want to ruin that. Any suggestions are welcome.

The barrel had some wear and scratches so I oiled it up and began sanding it down. Although this delt with some of the scratches it also removed the finish. It doesn't look too bad but some of the scratches are still noticeable. This brings me to my other idea.

Durabake seems to be the bees knees as far as protection is concerned. Has anybody used the stuff? Its a tad on the pricey side and using it means that I will have to have the slide bead blasted with the rest of the frame. I just don't want to pay out a lot of cash for something that really is just going to look botched in the end.

Any suggestions are more than welcome and I look forward to everyones input.

(Monroe County)

Default Re: 92FS Extensive Refurb

I have a wolf spring kit in my match 92f/s and it's great, but watch for burs of the recoil spring.
    Owner Trigger Time LLc 01 FFL/NFA Saylorsburg, PA. Sales/Service/Transfers/Training
    NRA CRSO/Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun inst. BSA Rifle/Shotgun Merit badge counselor. US Navy Marksmanship Team Staff

(Berks County)

Thank you.

I went ahead and orded a set. My coil springs don't look too bad but the misc springs including the trigger spring had what looked like a little pitting, (maybe just wear?). I saw they also have a replacement for the trigger spring that is a completely different design but I did not order that.

Also by chance I found this stuff called Gun kote from Brownells. Its more expensive that the durabake but it has a better color selection. I really am at a loss for what to do. The frame for sure is going to be bead blasted and refinished but I don't know what I'm gonna do with the slide. Or for that matter parts like the slide stop and take down pin ect.

(Monroe County)

It's ok stuff. I used it on a AK. Make sure the metal preped so it sticks.

Again thanks for the vid links. I forgot I had a metal trigger to replace the plastic one. I was sitting on it till I was sure how to install it.
    Got it done in 20min.
    Owner Trigger Time LLc 01 FFL/NFA Saylorsburg, PA. Sales/Service/Transfers/Training
    NRA CRSO/Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun inst. BSA Rifle/Shotgun Merit badge counselor. US Navy Marksmanship Team Staff

(Montgomery County)

Just a thought. I don't know if it is all compatible metals, but what about having it parkerized?

(Monroe County)

Would be one of a kind.

(Cumberland County)

Great source of information and will probably come in handy in the near future.
    Thank you.
    bp

(Berks County)

Exclamation Re: 92FS Extensive Refurb

Big question for the gunsmiths and experts out there!!!

I got my wolf springs service pack in the mail. Opened up the box and began examining the springs and comparing them to my old ones. First thing that stuck out was that the old recoil, and hammer springs have grinded flat basses. In more clear words, the tops and bottoms of the springs where they would contact the various parts are ground down flat. Is this an idicator that the pistol had a trigger job?

I got the service kit to replace the tigger, trigger bar and sear springs. Mostly the non coil like springs because they showed signs of wear and some pitting. My concern was that the pistol may have had a trigger job,(it has a very smooth pull) and I don't want to upset that. I just want the gun to be as realiable as possible.

Also I checked the Beretta USA website and cannot figure out the age of my 92. On the trigger guard they mark the pistols with marks to distinguish the year, mine has a "P" in a shield Symbol. I have been told this was put there because it was issued to a Police Dept. I don't know if thats true but PB does not list that as a time stamp symbol.

???

(Monroe County)

I have 3 Beretta's- an 84F and one for my match shooting but the other one is also a PD turn in. A good old 92F- not F/S just a F with factory night sights. Anyway I never really noticed the shield stamp before but it is not on my 92F/S. So that may be true.
    Also the flat spring ends are standard. As for a trigger job I don't think you can tell the differance between wear or trigger job on the triggger transfer bar and hammer. Mines smooth also.

(Berks County)

Thank you very much!

I had thought the only way to perform a trigger job on a 92 was to use a lighter hammer spring and strut spring. I had considered this but it was suggested that this is only a trial and error way and that if you go too light the pistol becomes unreliable.

So very much to think about.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast