Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Lehigh County)

Default NRA grassroots alert concerning crossbows and my response

The following is quoted from the NRA-ILA grassroots alert.

[QUOTE] Vote Scheduled to Change the
    Pennsylvania Game Code to Include Crossbows!
    Please Contact the Pennsylvania Game Commission Today!

Over the last several years, there has been a growing debate concerning the use of crossbows in Pennsylvania. At its upcoming meeting, the Pennsylvania Game Commission will be voting on a proposal that would make Pennsylvania the twelfth state to allow the use of crossbows during the state archery season. This meeting will be held from Sunday, January 25 to Tuesday, January 27.

NRA strongly advocates for any expansion of hunter opportunity and choice when there is no biological reason to oppose the expansion. In fact, states that have allowed the use of crossbows have been able to maintain healthy wildlife populations. Additionally, the recruitment and retention of hunters has improved by removing crossbow restrictions. At a time when the number of hunters is declining, nothing is more important than the ongoing effort to preserve and strengthen our hunting heritage.

The Pennsylvania Game Commission has received input on both sides of the issue from stakeholders concerning this proposed change. It’s time the Pennsylvania Game Commission hear from the very sportsmen and hunters they represent. There is little doubt that non-hunters and “animal rights” forces will be active in making their voices heard, so it is vital that sportsmen speak loudly.[QUOTE]

Following is my email response to NRA-ILA:

"I am responding to your grassroots alert concerning the use of crossbows in PA. I have been shooting bows for almost as long as I have been shooting firearms and I completely disagree with your position. Crossbows are not archery. They do not require you to get to full draw without being detected. They do not require the amount of practice and dedication that is required to shoot a bow. Why should I share my season with people looking for the easy way? We already allow people with handicaps to use them and even that is a farce. Anybody can go to their Dr. and get an excuse. I am 63 years old. I have had a torn rotator cuff, a torn elbow tenon and I lost what used to be my dominant eye. Through dedication and hard work I switched to the south paw side and I can still harvest a deer with a 60lb compound bow if I can find one. Why should I share my season with people looking for the easy way? As for more hunting opportunity, the commissioners have said that they will shorten the season if they add crossbows.

I have contacted each and every commissioner and given them my opposing view.

I think the NRA and the NRA ILA should stick with firearms issues."

As you can tell I have a very strong opinion on this subject. I hope everyone who shares my view will contact the PA Game Commissioners.
    The older I get, the better I used to be.

(Monroe County)

Default Re: NRA grassroots alert concerning crossbows and my response

This has been debated before on here and it continues to be debated.

The deer harvest isn't down because of lack of hunters... its down due to lack of deer and lack of huntable land. Adding crossbows won't improve the harvest in any meaningful way... but it will make the PGC more money.

So I would count on it passing with flying colors. The PGC doesn't give 1/2 a shit about the hunters that pay them. All they care about is making money and drawing in more hunters so that they can make more money off them as well.

They don't give a shit about the deer or animal herds in the least... they don't care
    The first vehicles normally on the scene of a crime are ambulances and police cruisers. If you are armed you have a chance to decide who gets transported in which vehicle, if you are not armed then that decision is made for you.

Be prepared, because someone else already is and no one knows their intent except them.

(Lancaster County)

Please take this respectfully: Been a very long time archery hunter. Been having shoulder problems over past few years so decided to try crossbow. It is just plain fun and I have come to love it, especially since I love regular archery but this does not hurt as much. But the archery fraternity is forgetting that we had a much greated factor dumped into the early season awhile back with the early muzzleloader and youth / senior seasons being put right in the middle of archery season. Want to fight something that really affects archery season then fight that. Crossbows will have little if any affect on anything in comparison to what that season has done to archery. I can take my inline out and kill deer day arfter day till my tags run out in the early season. You still need to get just as close with a crossbow and just moving one into position for a shot can be as much of a challenge as drawing your bow when a deer is close, as these are not small, light and handy weapons either. I do agree that more opportunities may equal more hunters and more enthusiastic hunters of any type makes for better protection from the anti's. Many guys will not try the crossbow - it is not cheap! Many archers should--maybe then they could hit a deer well enough to kill it. I know too many guys who do not have the time or dedication to become proficient and hear of them hitting and not getting at least one deer per year. Besides modern bows are little more than vertical crossbows anyway--triggers, scope like sights, etc.

(Delaware County)

Go crossbows! I've been using one throughout archery season for years now. I love it and everyone should be able to use them.