Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Thread: Carry question

(Montgomery County)

Default Carry question

I was watching a program about SWAT a few days ago. The stories were based on actual events. In this one event 4 armed bad guys came into an electronics store (i think in Ohio) and took hostages. If you were in the store and carrying how would you defend against 4 armed bad guys? What if you had your wife and kids with you? If you pull your gun and start shooting, things could get very ugly, especially with the other customers being in the store. What are your thoughts? Three were armed with handguns and one had a shot gun. They tied their victims up with wire and sat them in the store vestibule. I'm sure I wouldn’t allow them to tie me up but how do you react against 4 gunmen? My concern, other than myself and family members would be how many others they shot because of my actions. However, I’m not gonna go down without a fight. So, allowing them to tie me up would not be an option (at least for me).

Thoughts?

(Lackawanna County)

Default Re: Carry question

your talking about the Good Guys store incident?
    i can only guess how i would react but i know if i had a gun i would. i mean in this specific incident when the snipers tried to take out a BG the bullet was defelcted and they started shooting hostages before the police could get in. if i were there i would have waited till at least 3 but ideally all four were together and open up on them, i mean at least when im sure they are willing to take lives. i would also try and do it so the police can see, this would be extremly important so they know how many you take out to properly correct their assault.

not trying to say id get them all and be a hero but obviously things dont always go the way the police want, so if someone there was armed maybe he/ she could have at least taken out the BG that started shooting hostages and that would have bought the police more time for their entry.

the most important thing is to not be a hero about it, i mean just shooting at a BG because you have a gun is probably not a good idea, wait for the opertune moment. like you said if your not successful someome will pay for it.

(Lackawanna County)

Quote Originally Posted by Guns4Fun View Post
    I was watching a program about SWAT a few days ago. [...] So, allowing them to tie me up would not be an option (at least for me).
    The last time I looked them up, which is, admittedly, a while ago:

Statistics (meaning: FBI statistics) strongly suggest that the average "shoot-out" (involving 'whomever') lasts three shots fired (total/altogether - 3 shots between 'everyone') and usually occurs within 5' (that's five feet, not five yards).

Yes, I carry a spare tire in my car. No. I do not carry six spare tires in my car. Yes, I have a couple of fire extinguishers in my house. No, I did not install a high-tech chemical fire-suppression system plumbed throughout my house.

Chances are (statistically) overwhelming that I'll never really need more than my 5-shot Ruger on me at any given time. But, I usually carry more than just that and I have a Mossberg 500 in my house. From one perspective, I am more than adequately 'armed', while others would consider me only minimally so.

These "what if" stories are great fun, but that's about it. Until you've been in such a situation it is very difficult to know what you *would* do - let alone what you *should* do - there are too many variables to consider.

All that being said, I hope I am never faced with the scene where I have the (legal) chance to get involved in a shootout with me versus four armed opponents. Would I shoot them all down Clint Eastwood style? Probably not. Would I be found curled up in a corner in a fetal position, hugging myself, rocking, and crying? I certainly hope not. I like to think that I'd be both somewhat brave yet keep unnecessary harm and loss of life to a minimum (especially my own). Based on my own past experience, I have the potential for bravery and (usually) I can think on my feet pretty well. More than that, I couldn't tell you what I would do - there are just too many variables and (thankfully) I've never been in such a situation.
    Last edited by Bruce; January 18th, 2009 at 10:18 AM.
    Cogito, ergo armatus sum.
    ...Say that to my face.

(Allegheny County)

several years ago, I was a victim of a robbery, they putted all the customers inside an internal filing room (10x10 of available space) and we were tied up hand to hand to another person with plastic ties, one of the customer had a pistol and he was lucky they didn't find it when they took our stuff, this customer started to say he will kill them all, remeber we were like 5 or six people inside in a small room and in the other side, there were three bad guys, at least two of them with 357 magnun ( I can tell you it's looks like a 44 magnum when they putted on my 1 inch from forehead and they told me they are going to kill me if I do something wrong, at the same time they were kicking my ribs). Outside of the store there were my wife and two childrens waiting for me.
    Ok coming back to the point, this guy was almost ready to shoot from inside the room, and I was able to convince him to wait until they'll leave, they were outside with the store manager trying to force her to get them some money. I had to almost grab his gun and finally during the argumentation, the bad guys leave, after we set us free this guy went outside with his gun trying to chase the bad guys.
    Some time you have to still calm when you are dealing with the lifes of other people. We were all very lucky that day.
    I agree with Bruce, what if type of situations don't work, may factors can change when you are in the real situation.

I would say in a hostage situation (pa anyway), even if I managed to take out all the assailants, if anyone was killed or injured (hostages) as a direct result of my actions (even if all injuries/fatalities were from the bg's) I would at least be civilly raped for not complying.

All I can say is there is no way I’m going to let myself get tied, cuffed, duct taped or physically restrained in any way. At that point I have zero control over my life. Not gonna happen.
    FUCK BIDEN

(Wayne County)

Quote Originally Posted by God's Country View Post
    I would say in a hostage situation (pa anyway), even if I managed to take out all the assailants, if anyone was killed or injured (hostages) as a direct result of my actions (even if all injuries/fatalities were from the bg's) I would at least be civilly raped for not complying.
    Another reason to support Castle Doctrine legislation! What's the use in surviving if everything you own and hold dear gets trashed by a capricious civil suit?
    Sed ego sum homo indomitus

(Allegheny County)

I'd wait 'til the bad guys were really close to each other, then I'd draw on the guy with the shotgun.

Note: If he didn't see me drawing my gun, I'd say something like "Hey dickhead!" to get his attention.

I'd wait until he raised it and pointed it at me before squeezing off just one round.

That one round would be delivered right up his barrel, in turn detonating the shell in his shotgun, which would then ignite the other rounds, causing an explosion of shrapnel that would incapacitate all of the bad guys long enough for me to...

Ha Ha! Gotcha!

The real answer is:
    I'd do whatever would be the best course of action to keep me alive.

I'll let you know if anything like that ever happens to me.
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Lackawanna County)

Situation always dictates what is best. Hopefully if this situation occurs to me, I'll be with my backup AND I'll notice them before they notice us. One shot down the line, starting with the guy with the shotgun, one shot again (and hopefully my backup will be doing the same, if not double shots). Take cover, reload (my 45 only holds the 10+1), and assess the situation. Check which are dead and who might still be a threat. If any were still standing when I would've reloaded, I would've emptied the mag.

What-if's are never open-and-shut, though. Many people are going to have different views of how they would handle the situation, because they view the same situation from different angles. Who's standing where, who's with them, whether the robbers notice them at the start, et cetera.
    Last edited by nepawolf; January 18th, 2009 at 04:26 PM.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Emptymag View Post
    I'd wait 'til the bad guys were really close to each other, then I'd draw on the guy with the shotgun.

Note: If he didn't see me drawing my gun, I'd say something like "Hey dickhead!" to get his attention.

I'd wait until he raised it and pointed it at me before squeezing off just one round.

That one round would be delivered right up his barrel, in turn detonating the shell in his shotgun, which would then ignite the other rounds, causing an explosion of shrapnel that would incapacitate all of the bad guys long enough for me to...

Ha Ha! Gotcha!

The real answer is:
    I'd do whatever would be the best course of action to keep me alive.

I'll let you know if anything like that ever happens to me.
    BWAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!! I owe you a rep ............. and you owe me a keyboard!!!!.
    The 2nd amendment is the RESET BUTTON on the constitution.
    Faith, Fun, and Firearms.
    Grace Life Church member