Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default Stepping back into history a bit, the Johnstown Flood...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Johnsto...n_Flood.22_Tax

As a result of the damage from the 1936 flood, the Pennsylvania General Assembly imposed an emergency tax on all alcohol sold in the Commonwealth. The "temporary" 10% tax was initially intended to help pay for clean up, recovery, and assistance to flood victims. The tax was never repealed and in 1963 the tax was raised to 15% and again in 1968 to 18% (not including the statewide 6% sales tax). The nearly $200 million collected annually no longer goes to flood victims, however, instead going into the general fund for discretionary use by lawmakers.[4]

The Pennsylvania Department of Revenue states that, "All liquors sold by the LCB are subject to this tax which is computed on the actual price paid by the consumer including mark-up, handling charge and federal tax. The first sale of liquor also is subject to the sales and use tax at the time of purchase."[5]
    With all the talk of keeping the government out of our pockets, I feel this is an issue that needs looked into.

I know this isn't exactly current events, but it's an issue still in effect.

(Jefferson County)

Default Re: Stepping back into history a bit, the Johnstown Flood...

Its not uncommon.

A federal excise tax on telephone service lasted until a 2-3 years ago to pay for the Spanish American War. The war debt was long paid off. Folks were offered rebates for some of the tax they paid over the years.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Allegheny County)

I survived the J-town flood of 1977, and would like to thank all you booze hounds for your support.

Without those much needed funds I never would have...

no, wait...

...we didn't get any help.
    (Well, unless you count the cases of carbonated water from the Pepsi bottling plant. OMG that was nasty.)

WTF?
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Cambria County)

Quote Originally Posted by Emptymag View Post
    (Well, unless you count the cases of carbonated water from the Pepsi bottling plant. OMG that was nasty.)

WTF?
    That water totally sucked. I hauled ice for dead bodies to the hospitals from the airport. And water to parts of town that were hit really hard. I drank one can of water. And it sucked.

But, your right. Funny, how these taxes just don't go away, and instead keep getting bigger and bigger.
    The American Revolution would never have happened with gun control....
    The day they want my guns, they'll have to bring theirs!!!
    Proud to be One of the 3%

(Allegheny County)

Man, we even tried adding Kool-Aid to it...

Kool-Aid + Carbonated water does not equal soda-pop. Not even close.

For those who don't understand, after the flood the water supply was out of commission, so the local Pepsi bottling plant donated cans of water... carbonated water... as in, Pepsi cans with no flavoring - just carbonated water.

The only good part was that months later, when a friend wanted something to drink, you could offer one of these cans of "Pepsi" to them, and wait for the reaction.

Sorry for getting off-topic... "memories", ya know.
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Philadelphia County)

Weren't tolls on the Turnpike only supposed to be around until the road was paid for? Guess government figures if it can get money for something without diminishing the demand for that thing, it may as well do it. Lying about it is inconsequential.

Quote Originally Posted by H.E. Pennypacker View Post
    Weren't tolls on the Turnpike only supposed to be around until the road was paid for? Guess government figures if it can get money for something without diminishing the demand for that thing, it may as well do it. Lying about it is inconsequential.

Yes, but now they want to redo the entire highway to make it 3 lanes....

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by schmol View Post
    Yes, but now they want to redo the entire highway to make it 3 lanes....
    But making it 3 lanes will bring it down to 1 lane for probably 7 years while they're "working" on it. Gotta love it. If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

I'm just glad I don't drive that road too often.

(Venango County)

Man, we even tried adding Kool-Aid to it...

Kool-Aid + Carbonated water does not equal soda-pop. Not even close.

For those who don't understand, after the flood the water supply was out of commission, so the local Pepsi bottling plant donated cans of water... carbonated water... as in, Pepsi cans with no flavoring - just carbonated water.

The only good part was that months later, when a friend wanted something to drink, you could offer one of these cans of "Pepsi" to them, and wait for the reaction.

Sorry for getting off-topic... "memories", ya know.

Try something like syruppy Lemon Blend. That is what is used in Europe. We used to get mineral water. It is bitter/sour due to the carbonic acid reaction of the bubbles, I believe. They had syruppy flavors you could add and make your own softdrink. Or you can add wine for a spritzer. Homemade wine coolers, if you will.

As for tax misuse, I think it should require an emergency to change the tax appropriations. And it should end when the reason for the tax to be emplaced is gone/paid.

I am pretty sure all the extra taxes I pay for smokes is not going to my 'future' health issues that they made a big stink about costing the gov't because of smokers.

It is probably going to schools, Sr Citizens, Roads and 'important' stuff.

No doubt the same thing with our Social Security. I wonder what would happen if, instead of borrowing and using the excess funds, the funds remained collecting interest somewhere. Would it have lasted longer? I am not an expert on the issue, I could be wrong, but I am suspicious.
    It is you. You have all the weapons that you need. Now fight. --Sucker Punch

(Montgomery County)

I survived the J-town flood of 1977, and would like to thank all you booze hounds for your support.

Without those much needed funds I never would have...

no, wait...

WTF?
    Mee Too.... didn't see a dime of the aide (well my parents didn't see a dime).

While we lived high up on the hill...we were moving that year... all of our stuff was stored in the valley...and then came the floods.

Lost a First Edition "How the lone Ranger Captured silver"... 1936 or so in that flood...

Dad never really under stood the value of comics... oh well.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast