Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Lancaster County)

Default Bought a Ruger LCP today

Little thing is cute, lol Does anyone know if this thing can be disassembled for cleaning or oiling? Also, how good does a 38 stop an attacker? I can't believe how small the 38 ammo is! I'm use to carrying large caliper revolvers, so will I have to put all 7 rounds into someone to stop them? The fact that I carry large handguns, makes this LCP perfect to carry in my shirt or pants pocket when I need extra concealment that I don't get with my GP-100 in places where carrying is borderline.
    Last edited by dlclarkii; January 17th, 2009 at 05:52 PM.

Default Re: Bought a Ruger LCP today

I own an LCP....disassembly and cleaning is easy and simple...the instructions are enclosed in the manual that should have accompanied your purchase. If not here are the steps:

1. CLEAR AND VERIFY EMPTY CHAMBER!!!
    2. Push the slide backward slightly and pry out the take down pin with a flathead screwdriver
    3. Remove the slide assembly, pop out the spring, buffer, and barrel
    4. Clean
    5. Reassemble in the opposite manner.

If you didn't get a manual with your purchase, the .pdf is available here:
    http://www.ruger.com/Firearms/PDF/In...Manuals/65.pdf

I use the LCP as a bug, and enjoy it for its purpose..it gives quite a sharp pop for its size. I wouldn't carry it as my primary source of self defense, but I don't think that the .380 is not going to inflict enough damage on a BG in order to allow me enough time to escape the situation.
    Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the peoples' liberty's teeth.- George Washington

"I thought Lycan was a she"-dragonofpa

(York County)

Nice, i've been looking to get one, where did you pick it up, if you don't mind me asking. Saw one at Gander Mt. in chamersburg used for $349 I have been trying to catch one at Stonybrook in east york.

(Lancaster County)

To Packerfan
    Did you try Freedom Armory between the two stores you mentioned? Cant John at Stoneybrook get them?

(York County)

He can get them IF they ever ship the ones he has already ordered. I know what his price is. Kind of just waiting and hoping I don't miss them.

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by Packerfan View Post
    Nice, i've been looking to get one, where did you pick it up, if you don't mind me asking. Saw one at Gander Mt. in chamersburg used for $349 I have been trying to catch one at Stonybrook in east york.
    I got it at Taylor's Trading Post In Biglerville, PA. I paid $315, brand new. The only one the owner had. I tried getting the LCP for free if I would buy this gun below but the owner wasn't willing, lol.

Last edited by dlclarkii; January 17th, 2009 at 08:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by dlclarkii View Post
    Little thing is cute, lol Does anyone know if this thing can be disassembled for cleaning or oiling? Also, how good does a 38 stop an attacker? I can't believe how small the 38 ammo is! I'm use to carrying large caliper revolvers, so will I have to put all 7 rounds into someone to stop them? The fact that I carry large handguns, makes this LCP perfect to carry in my shirt or pants pocket when I need extra concealment that I don't get with my GP-100 in places where carrying is borderline.

to (quote)I don't think that the .380 is not going to inflict enough damage on a BG in order to allow me (( enough time to escape the situation(unquote)
    I have a much different outlook here, if you must defend your life? Allow me to escape...hummm getting shot in the back comes to mind

You don't shoot to get away, you shoot to KILL..period!
    A large caliber is always better but not necessary, being
    efficient with your particular weapon & caliber will decide
    if you live or die in a crisis.

When I practice, I practice with one thing in mind,
    shooting is fun but more than that I shoot to be able t
    o defend my life. So I practice with that in mind, nothing else. ..: (( One of the most interesting was the distances involved.

While the FBI statistics show distances as being around ten feet,
    the PMA study showed the average distance being more like twenty.
    This makes sense, as distance will favor the person with the most training.))

practice, use a human silicone & you practice the double tap first shot (center mass) to the chest & a quick follow up to the forhead.
    You do this over & over till it's an instict till you no
    longer have to think what your going to do.

It's a..1...2 Once you master the double tap & you will..
    .I guarantee you even with a 380, 2 successful shots in this manner is guaranteed to take the would be murder's life before he takes yours.
    I know you've heard: practice for what your intended use is.
    Mine being not to become a victim, so I practice accordingly.
    And shooting at a life size target. But again it's my opinion that
    if you realy fear for your life? A double tap (unless perp is wearing
    body armour) will take him out even with a small caliber.
    So not size...shot placement.
    Last edited by Ronnies111; January 17th, 2009 at 08:01 PM.

Ronnie,
    I guess my wording wasn't quite clear...I agree with your point 100%. Escaping the situation does not exclude a killing shot(s). I was looking at the .380 purely from the perspective of it being a BUG and that would mean that a lethal force encounter has occurred in which my primary weapons use was removed from the scenario, be it by a BG's force or catastrophic malfunction, etc...at that point the use of the bug is a last ditch of the last ditch (defensive shooting with primary weapon). The scenario I envision is say wrestled to ground and fighting over my primary weapon. If I can draw and use my BUG against the BG, I would then recover my primary weapon and retreat to a safe position while contacting authorities/ assessing the situation.
    I would say I do not feel comfortable with the .380 as a primary self defense round, but the compact size offers an acceptable BUG for the pocket.
    Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the peoples' liberty's teeth.- George Washington

"I thought Lycan was a she"-dragonofpa

Quote Originally Posted by axmdr40 View Post
    Ronnie,
    I guess my wording wasn't quite clear...I agree with your point 100%. Escaping the situation does not exclude a killing shot(s). I was looking at the .380 purely from the perspective of it being a BUG and that would mean that a lethal force encounter has occurred in which my primary weapons use was removed from the scenario, be it by a BG's force or catastrophic malfunction, etc...at that point the use of the bug is a last ditch of the last ditch (defensive shooting with primary weapon). The scenario I envision is say wrestled to ground and fighting over my primary weapon. If I can draw and use my BUG against the BG, I would then recover my primary weapon and retreat to a safe position while contacting authorities/ assessing the situation.
    I would say I do not feel comfortable with the .380 as a primary self defense round, but the compact size offers an acceptable BUG for the pocket.
    I real sleepy & tired, don't know if I was making sense or not...lol

(Lancaster County)

It is certainly debatable but I think the .380 is good round for self defense. It might not be as potent as some, but is certainly more powerful than the .22 - .32 pocket pistols of days gone by. One of the key factors to any defensive handgun is the ammunition one uses in it. The gun itself is simply the platform from which to launch the projectile. The projectile is what does the work. I you do your part and accurately place the shots a good defensive round will suffice in a .380. There have been some pretty good reviews lately about Hornady's Critical Defense ammo which was initially only introduced in .380 and .38 spl.

Check out these reviews:

hipowers-handguns.blogspot.com/2008/12/informal-tests-hornady-critical-defense.html

http://www.handgunsmag.com/ammunitio...903/index.html

If I were to pick a .380 pocket pistol today, the LCP would be the one. Sleek, thin, light and small. Something that can be with you all the time without much wory of bulk and discomfort.

Congrats on your purchase!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast