Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast
    (Monroe County)

Default I was sarcastic during an OC related encounter...

*sigh* I post this in the interest of keeping the reality of OC out there.

I was installing some security equipment last night in a restaurant. I was OC'ing. Down in the basement, as I was prepping some equipment, two of the kitchen staff walked by from my weak side. After doing what ever it was they were doing, they came back in my direction and one of them stops dead and goes," Oh snap! Damn! (Turning to his buddy) Watch out dude, you better not fuck with him or he'll shoot you.". The one who said this was wearing a cocked do-rag, was missing a few front teeth, and if I were to stereotype him, would fall under the wanna be gangster type. I continued putting the equipment together, seemingly ignoring him. His buddy, who seemed a bit higher up the social acceptability scale, said, "What?".
    "Dude, that dude has a piece!".
    "Oh, yeah, cool."

The first one then kind of leans down on the counter I was working at, about three feet away, and says, "Yo man, you carry a gun?". I then just turned my head and gave him a level stare.
    With a big, little kid type grin he says, "Yo. Is that a real gun, dude?".

I looked him in the eye and said, "No, I carry a fake gun, in a real holster, for no other reason than it is way fucking cool, ..dude.", raising one eyebrow and using the driest delivery I could muster.

He raised his hands up a bit, taking a half step back, and said, "Yo, man sorry, it's cool bro.". Then he put that silly grin back on and said, "Yo, man, shit, we carry knives." His friend said to him, "Never bring a knife to a gun fight dummy.", as he walked by.
    "Shit yeah, you right bro.". Then they went back up stairs.

I thought about the way that went down, and started to feel like maybe I should go and apologize for being kind of a dick. But I chose not to.

I ran into the two of them a few minutes later, outside, as I went out for a smoke. The talker looked at me and didn't say anything, and I lit my smoke and made a phone call. I again thought about saying something encouraging or maybe engaging him in a firearms related discussion, and then I realized that maybe I was a bit rude and had since held my tongue because I maybe didn't want this particular person knowing how easy it was to legally carry a firearm. Maybe he struck me as the type of person that nobody wants having a firearm on them. I realize that this is bigoted, and that bothers me. It had nothing to do with his race, but everything to do with his demeanor and his self presentation. You probably all know the type, not necessarily the big bad wolf type, but the shifty, little weasle, never say anything to your face, but shoot you in the back and take your clothes while you bleed type. I know nothing about this kid/guy, except that he works in a kitchen and acts and dresses like a hip-hop wanna be gangster. He could have been the next great firearms rights activist for all I know. But I took my first impression and ran with it.

Anyway, whatever the reason, I was a dick to someone who mentioned my OC'd firearm, for the first time. It kind of bothered me...and with the whole OC ambassador rep I have, I thought it only fair to post the incident here.

I will further say that I take full responsibility for any of the new firearm restrictions that are sure to come down from the legislature over this.....

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty
    than to those attending too small a degree of it."~Thomas Jefferson, 1791
    Hobson fundraiser Remember SFN Read before you Open Carry

(Monroe County)

Default Re: I was sarcastic during an OC related encounter...

get the feeling that he probably wasn't even allowed to carry that knife... should have called his PO :P
    The first vehicles normally on the scene of a crime are ambulances and police cruisers. If you are armed you have a chance to decide who gets transported in which vehicle, if you are not armed then that decision is made for you.

Be prepared, because someone else already is and no one knows their intent except them.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by headcase View Post
    <snip>

I will further say that I take full responsibility for any of the new firearm restrictions that are sure to come down from the legislature over this.....

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

Now THAT wuz funny!

I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Venango County)

Do you think he was familiar with Jeff Foxworthy's "Here's your sign" routine?

Maybe we need T-shirts:

a. Yes, it is.
    b. Because I can.
    c. You probably can, too, if you wanted.

I think you did ok, nobody is perfect.

Maybe next time handle it like, sigh, yes it is and continue working like they are interrupting you. Just an idea to smooth it out a little.
    It is you. You have all the weapons that you need. Now fight. --Sucker Punch

(Mifflin County)

Anyway, whatever the reason, I was a dick to someone who mentioned my OC'd firearm, for the first time. It kind of bothered me...
    Don't let it bother you too much, first impressions are often (but not always) right.

(Bucks County)

You didnt do so bad.

He asked a stupid question (Yes, there really are stupid ones) and you gave a stupid answer. I call Karma on this one.

Having said that, I would handle it differently with other levels of society.

(York County)

I'm glad Headcase wrote this post!
    It's a good reminder that each of us an ambassador for 2nd Amendment rights.
    And we all know how important first impressions can be!

It's a shame...no, a disgrace, that many first impressions of firearms come from movies created by inept or hostile movie makers.
    Some real world positive introductions are a great aid to our cause. Younger folks sure aren't going to get it elsewhere.

**sigh** Obama beat you too it!

You used your "smarts" on this one. Good job!

(Jefferson County)

"yo yo dawg" you should have stated it was a squirt gun and you carry it filled with water for the just incase reason of the wires sparking and you catch a napkin on fire" ha ha

PS im no gangster, but first impressions are hard to change...

(York County)

Smile Re: I was sarcastic during an OC related encounter...

First off I would not be too hard on yourself. Sometimes a response like the one you gave is just what the person wants to hear, who knows maybe he would have been offended if you would have ignored him and things could have got out of hand.

Personally I did not sense any racism while reading your post. Your character speaks loud and clear which is evident by posting what you did. You could have just been pissed off at yourself and not tell anyone but you chose to do what most people would not have which was telling people publicly that you may not have done the right thing while trying to support something you believe in and then putting a positive spin on it. That's called integrity.
    Rehab is for quitters!!

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast