Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Would you "rat out" a relative?

This post was prompted by this story:

Bank robbery suspect nabbed
    By Josh Krysak, Herald-Standard
    01/17/2009

State police and Uniontown police have filed charges against a Republic man accused of robbing two Fayette County banks in the last few weeks after his mother identified him from surveillance photos released to the public.

James David Alborg, 40, of 1202 New Salem Road was charged Friday before Magisterial District Judge Wendy D. Dennis with two counts of robbery and theft as well as single counts of simple assault and receiving stolen property.

Trooper James L. Garlick and Uniontown police Detective Donald M. Gmitter said Alborg's mother, Roberta Alborg, was able to identify her son as the suspect in the Dec. 31 robbery of Parkvale Bank in Uniontown and as the suspect in the robbery Tuesday at the First National Bank in North Union Township.

The first bank robbery occurred on New Year's Eve in Uniontown when Uniontown police Sgt. Fred Balsley said James Alborg made off with more than $1,000 in cash after flashing a handgun and demanding money.

Trooper James L. Garlick said the armed robbery occurred around 5:40 p.m. Tuesday when James Alborg entered the Giant Eagle supermarket on Route 51.

Garlick said James Alborg went to the First National Bank located inside the store and placed a bag on the counter.

He then pulled a handgun on the bank teller and demanded money, Garlick said. After receiving more than $1,300 in cash, James Alborg fled the business.

Police said James Alborg also will be charged at a later date for robbing the National City Bank in New Salem Dec. 19.

State police said they will file charges for that robbery at a later date before Magisterial District Judge Randy S. Abraham.

Gmitter said that during his investigation of the robbery, police officers released a surveillance image of James Alborg to the local media.

The following day, Gmitter said Alborg's mother positively identified her son as the suspect in the photo.

Gmitter and Garlick said that Roberta Alborg told investigators that her son had recently purchased a handgun and had shown it to her and said that she had seen him "with large amounts of money."

Gmitter said James Alborg allegedly told his mother he had won the money playing the lottery.

Alborg was placed in the Fayette County Prison on $100,000 straight cash bond following his arraignment.

Preliminary hearings for the North Union Township and Uniontown bank robberies will be held at a later date before Dennis and the on-call Uniontown magisterial district judge.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So, just wondering, would you tell the cops about a relative involved in a bank robbery or other similar crime where nobody was hurt or killed? He had a gun, but did not shoot it, but did use it to threaten the tellers.

Then again if somebody was hurt or killed...would you be a "rat" then?

Default Re: Would you "rat out" a relative?

If I knew that one of my family members was involved in a bank robbery, I would encourage them to turn themselves in with an attorney.
    Jules

(Lancaster County)

yep wouldnt think twice. i have no room in my life for a looser that takes money from someone else. especialy using a gun. i work hard to get what little i have and other do to.
    No longer posting

A local cop, I believe a Chief, went into a Wawa one morning and looked at the paper and saw a surveillance shot of a bank robber and noticed that it was his son. He turned him in.
    Bazinga

(Beaver County)

hell yes!money just does'nt fall from trees.why should we bust are butts at work will they stick a gun in some banktellersd face and demand money that is'nt theres.if they can't come and ask for help frist the hell with them.
    do you feel lucky punk,well do ya!

(Philadelphia County)

For armed robbery, yes.

(Adams County)

I turned in my brother in law for stealing a scooter (think moped). I told a police officer I know where he was hiding it. He called the local PD that went and retreived it. They never charged him with anything or even told him they took it. He hid it away from his property, so they couldn't link him to it. I wasn't as worried about getting him caught, as I was getting the property returned.

He has always been trouble but when I found out that the 4wheeler he was keeping in my garage was stolen from a guy down the road from me, that was the end of looking the other way.

At one point, he was even suspected to be involved in some strong arm robberies in a nearby town. A police officer called me to see if I knew anything. I helped with what I could, but as it turned out, he wasn't involved.
    Adams County Sport Handgunners Association - President

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by ar15jules View Post
    If I knew that one of my family members was involved in a bank robbery, I would encourage them to turn themselves in with an attorney.
    Jules
    My exact feelings. I would not turn them in per say, but I for damn sure would not give them any aid. That is until they had turned themselves in.

When injustice becomes law, rebellion becomes duty!

(York County)

Smile Re: Would you "rat out" a relative?

So, just wondering, would you tell the cops about a relative involved in a bank robbery or other similar crime where nobody was hurt or killed? He had a gun, but did not shoot it, but did use it to threaten the tellers.

Then again if somebody was hurt or killed...would you be a "rat" then?

I think theres a lot of factors to consider. First off how close of a relative, how tight of a family bond is there, etc.

Me personally? I believe in the Holy sanctity of the family, which means my family comes first above all else and I will protect my family if it costs my life to do it. With that being said if I knew someone in my family was going to put someone else's life in danger for the reason of personal gain (stealing money, hate, etc.) I would do what ever it takes to have them stopped but if I knew someone in my family was going to put someone else's life in danger for the reason of protecting or defending their own family from harm then I would have to say no and then depending on the severity and outcome I would work out options within my family first before going outside of it.
    Rehab is for quitters!!

(Allegheny County)

Is there a reward offered? If so, How much, and how close of a relative?

Zombie Response Team SECTOR 4 Ground assault unit
    "Nothing defuses people like crazy." ~ Lycanthrope

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast