Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

View Poll Results: Will you help?

Voters
10. You may not vote on this poll
  • I think it's a great idea; count me in!

6 60.00%
  • It's a good idea, but I lack the time.

4 40.00%
  • Forget it, it'll never work.

0 0%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Monroe County)

Default An Idea, Any Volunteers?

Well, I've had an idea that's so far been well recieved by every gun shop I've presented it to. Basically I bring them a print-out of HR1022 and proposed HB 760 and bring them in along with several envelopes addressed to our district state house and state federal house reps. I stamp the envelopes at my own expense--I figure I owe us all something for the years I wasn't an NRA member.

They in turn display the bills and envelopes for customers. In 4 days I watched stack of envelopes reduce in size by half. I suspect if I were to include a standardized letter customers could just sign, the envelopes would go even faster.

I live in NEPA, but I'd like to see this go state-wide. So, can I ask for some PA residents to help out with this?

Please state where you are in PA and what gun shops and bills you've done/plan on doing this with.

I'll go first:
    Albrightsville, PA
    Bills targeted: HR1022 and proposed HB 760
    Gunshops:
    Smitty's in Albrightsville,
    Weaver's Guns and Ammo in Brodheadsville
    Warner's Surplus in Tannersville -- Tomorrow. Called them today about and the guy on the phone was very agreeable to what I wanted to do.
    Last edited by chemist308; April 5th, 2007 at 03:01 PM.

(Monroe County)

Default Re: An Idea, Any Volunteers?

Here's what I came up with as a general letter, let me know what you think:

Your Honor,

I'm sure you are aware of recent gun control legislation introduced at the state and federal level. Some of the bills I’m speaking of specifically include:
    • HR 1022 (Assault Weapons Ban and Law Enforcement Protection Act of 2007) and HB30. The Justice Department reported that the ban's impact on gun violence was small at best, and too small to be statistically valid.
    • HB22, which limits handgun purchases
    • HB291, which also targets most handguns for ban and forfeiture
    • HB957, which seeks to outlaw the possession and use of handguns using 5.7mm ammunition.

These proposed bills are a clear infringement on our rights both as US citizens and Pennsylvania resident. The Pennsylvania Constitution, Article 1, Section 21 states, “The right of the citizens to bear arms in defense of themselves and the State shall not be questioned.” These proposed bills do a lot more than merely question that right.

I am disgusted by the fact that some of our elected officials would even attempt to introduce this kind of legislation, and could not vote for you in the future if I were to learn you failed to oppose it as my representative. You represent a very high number of licensed hunters, firearm owners, NRA members and 2'nd Amendment supporters. As your constituent, I urge you to oppose these or any other gun grabbing bills introduced at the local, state or federal level.

Sincerely,

(Monroe County)

Clearly, I forgot to include HB760.

Your Honor,

I'm sure you are aware of recent gun control legislation introduced at the state and federal level. Some of the bills I’m speaking of specifically include:
    • HR 1022 (Assault Weapons Ban and Law Enforcement Protection Act of 2007) and HB30. The Justice Department reported that the ban's impact on gun violence was small at best, and too small to be statistically valid.
    • HB22, which limits handgun purchases
    • HB291, which also targets most handguns for ban and forfeiture
    • HB760, which seeks registration of all firearms and imposes storage conditions on gun owners
    • HB957, which seeks to outlaw the possession and use of handguns using 5.7mm ammunition.

These proposed bills are a clear infringement on our rights both as US citizens and Pennsylvania resident. The Pennsylvania Constitution, Article 1, Section 21 states, “The right of the citizens to bear arms in defense of themselves and the State shall not be questioned.” These proposed bills do a lot more than merely question that right.

I am disgusted by the fact that some of our elected officials would even attempt to introduce this kind of legislation, and could not vote for you in the future if I were to learn you failed to oppose it as my representative. You represent a very high number of licensed hunters, firearm owners, NRA members and 2'nd Amendment supporters. As your constituent, I urge you to oppose these or any other gun grabbing bills introduced at the local, state or federal level.

Sincerely,

___________________________, _________________
    signature date

(Susquehanna County)

Use a separate letter for State and Federal legislators and weed out information not germane. i.e. don't cite Pa legislation to the the U.S. congressman or U.S. legislation to the Pa representative.

At the Pa level be sure to include all the bills in the current crop of anti-gun legislation. These are:
    HB 18, HB 19, HB 20, HB 21, HB 22, HB 23, HB 24, HB 25, HB 28, HB 29, HB 30, HB 277, HB 291, HB 760,
    HB 784, HB 785, HB 957.

ALL must be defeated.

(Allegheny County)

I think this is a great idea, but I would shy away from the form letter. It would be much more influential for politicans to receive letters from people who speak in their words. Also, cf. what this post says about form letters:
    www.pafoa.org/forum/pennsylvania-10/4534-anti-gun-laws-real-deal.html#post45822

Perhaps instead of a form letter, you can provide "talking points" (in short phrases, not complete sentences) to give people some ideas about what to write about.

(Monroe County)

Okay then, I like that. Instead of a form letter, talking points and suggestions, a tablet and pen. They write their own letters = less work for me. I tend to think most would have time during the call in for a gun purchase. Others might just be so infuriated upon reading the bills they'd make the time.

(Bucks County)

Talking points.

Selected sections of the CONSTITUTION OF THE COMMONWEALTH OF PENNSYLVANIA below.

IMO, any legislator who introduces anti-gun legislation has shown disdain for that which they have sworn to "support, obey and defend," said disdain constituting a flagrant violation of his or her oath of office, and should be impeached and "be liable to indictment, trial, judgment and punishment according to law."

Right to Bear Arms
    Section 21.

The right of the citizens to bear arms in defense of themselves and the State shall not be questioned.

Reservation of Powers in People
    Section 25.

To guard against the transgressions of the high powers which we have delegated, we declare that everything in this article is excepted out of the general powers of government and shall forever remain inviolate.

No Discrimination by Commonwealth and Its Political Subdivisions
    Section 26.

Neither the Commonwealth nor any political subdivision thereof shall deny to any person the enjoyment of any civil right, nor discriminate against any person in the exercise of any civil right.

Oath of Office
    Section 3.

Senators, Representatives and all judicial, State and county officers shall, before entering on the duties of their respective offices, take and subscribe the following oath or affirmation before a person authorized to administer oaths. "I do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support, obey and defend the Constitution of the United States and the Constitution of this Commonwealth and that I will discharge the duties of my office with fidelity." The oath or affirmation shall be administered to a member of the Senate or to a member of the House of Representatives in the hall of the House to which he shall have been elected. Any person refusing to take the oath or affirmation shall forfeit his office.

Officers Liable to Impeachment
    Section 6.

The Governor and all other civil officers shall be liable to impeachment for any misbehavior in office, but judgment in such cases shall not extend further than to removal from office and disqualification to hold any office of trust or profit under this Commonwealth. The person accused, whether convicted or acquitted, shall nevertheless be liable to indictment, trial, judgment and punishment according to law.

(Carbon County)

Excellent idea... but check out this thread. Rep Rohrer has a good idea and a political machine to get things done.
    http://www.pafoa.org/forum/pennsylva...-district.html

Our best hope is to use the system to best advantage as well as be ecomomical. A petition signed by many people carries alot of weight politically as they are COUNTED and become a record of opinion. Letters sent to politicians who disagree can be tossed in the trash where they certainly arent counted!

Once again thanks to chambered round...heres the direct link to the petition you can download!
    http://gw_pahouseit_district128.psin...25711.76&gen=1
    if you ever see my post edited...its most likely for speling :D
    "Inter Arma Enim Silent Leges"-In Time of War the Law Falls Silent-Cicero
    "Si vis pacem, para bellum"-If you want peace, prepare for war-Flavius Vegetius Renatus

"America Starts Here!"-former PA state Slogan...until NJ complained and our wussy GovRendell changed it!

(Monroe County)

My apologies for not hitting Warners Surplus when I said I would. I've been sick. But I got them today, and they were very receptive. Someone else in the store overheard and wanted to make copies of the bills I targeted (US: HR1022, PA HB760 and HB030) for his gun club so they can involved in this as well.

Now can anyone do this at:?
    * Grice's Gunshop (Clearfield, PA) and
    * Ace Sporting Goods (Washington, PA)

Both of those shops are HUGE and would most likely be very receptive to this. Ace does a decent share of sales to Pittsburghers looking to avoid the increased sales tax. So, who wants to hit these two? If anyone wants to volunteer to take in the bills and envelopes but doesn't quite feel comfortable approaching the shop owners, let me know and I'll gladly call ahead and check the idea.

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by chemist308 View Post
    My apologies for not hitting Warners Surplus when I said I would. I've been sick. But I got them today, and they were very receptive. Someone else in the store overheard and wanted to make copies of the bills I targeted (US: HR1022, PA HB760 and HB030) for his gun club so they can involved in this as well.

Now can anyone do this at:?
    * Grice's Gunshop (Clearfield, PA) and
    * Ace Sporting Goods (Washington, PA)

Both of those shops are HUGE and would most likely be very receptive to this. Ace does a decent share of sales to Pittsburghers looking to avoid the increased sales tax. So, who wants to hit these two? If anyone wants to volunteer to take in the bills and envelopes but doesn't quite feel comfortable approaching the shop owners, let me know and I'll gladly call ahead and check the idea.
    ANYTIME we can help, JUST YELL!!!
    As a Gun Shop owner I feel it's our Obligation and our Pleasure to help with anything like this!

Rich W.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast