Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Jefferson County)

Exclamation Obama Driving Surge in Gun Sales, Firearms Groups Say

President-elect Barack Obama's election has spurred a surge in gun sales, firearms retailers and enthusiasts say, as gun owners brace for what they believe will be a new era of gun control in Washington.

An electronic news service that covers outdoor news has even named Obama its "Gun Salesman of the Year."

Firearms associations began to suspect that political considerations were driving gun sales late last year as the number of background checks increased. But end-of-year figures showed a big spike in background checks for the last three months of 2008, and in November, the month Obama was elected, the number of background checks was 42 percent greater than in November 2007.

"It's not a hard tea leaf to read," said Jim Shepherd, publisher of the news service Outdoor Wire, which claims Obama's election has "frightened consumers into action."

Obama has repeatedly stated that he supports Second Amendment rights and will not crack down on gun owners, and in June he said he agreed with the Supreme Court when it overturned the District of Columbia handgun ban.

But gun groups are not convinced. They say Obama's legislative record in support of gun control, and his offhand remark during the primaries that small-town Americans are "bitter" and "cling to their guns," foretell a strict approach to firearms regulation during his presidency.

A December poll from Southwick Associates found that 80 percent of hunters and shooters expect the new administration and a Democratic Congress will make purchasing firearms more difficult.

"It's clear that gun owners and prospective gun owners are concerned about the incoming Obama administration and Congress," said Ted Novin, spokesman for the National Shooting Sports Foundation.

According to FBI statistics, there were 12.7 million background checks on prospective gun buyers last year, compared with 11.2 million the year before. While checks typically increase toward the end of the year, they spiked sharply at the end of 2008. The figures show a 27 percent increase in the last three months of 2008 over 2007.

"We always anticipate a spike .... This year compared to previous years, the last two months there was a significant increase," said FBI spokesman Paul Bresson.

He said it's "possible" that fears about the economy and the incoming administration played a role, though he said the FBI cannot track the actual reason behind the background checks. Also, background checks are not a direct reflection of gun sales -- but since statistics on national gun sales are not kept the background checks are typically used as an indicator.

"Speculation and conclusions that economic uncertainty or a certain political leadership spurs an increase in firearm sales is anecdotal," said one source at the Bureau of Alcohol Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.

But the ATF posted a notice recently saying it was running low on the self-disclosure forms needed when firearms purchases are made, "as a result of an unprecedented increase in demand" for the forms.

Firearms associations appear to be stoking the purchasing frenzy.

The National Rifle Association's Web site recently featured a column titled, "Ready to Defend Our Rights: Are gun owners going to be a high priority target for the Obama administration?"

The Web page linked to another site devoted to Obama's gun control positions. "Obama would be the most anti-gun president in American history," the site says.

Obama stated during the final leg of the campaign that he believes in the Second Amendment, and "I will not take your shotgun away. I will not take your rifle away. I won't take your handgun away."

But gun rights advocates say one of their principal concerns is that the new administration and Congress will eventually reinstate an assault-weapons ban. Vice president-elect Joe Biden, as a senator, was a strong supporter of the assault-weapons ban, which was signed into law by President Clinton in 1994.

Under the ban, which expired four years ago, domestic gun manufacturers were required to stop making semi-automatic assault weapons and ammunition clips holding more than 10 rounds, except for military or police use.

While in the Illinois legislature, Obama backed a ban on semiautomatic weapons.

Andrew Arulanandam, public affairs director at the NRA, said gun organizations are not urging members to stock up while they still can.

"I think people are doing this on their own accord," he said.

"We hope that the president keeps his campaign promises. Nothing would make us happier," he said. "But we think he is going to have a tough time keeping those promises."

FOX News' Catherine Herridge contributed to this report.

(Beaver County)

Default Re: Obama Driving Surge in Gun Sales, Firearms Groups Say

You know, there are some who say that Obama will be far too busy with the economy and the war to bother enacting gun control laws during his term as president.

The truth is, it will take him about two seconds to sign whatever bill Pelosi and Schumer bring to his desk, and that's precisely what he'll do.

It's not Obama that we need to be worried about, but we do need to continue worrying about our 2nd Amendment rights, and working to protect them.

Maybe I'll go buy a gun, this weekend. Those Marlin lever guns in .45-70 look real nice.
    Kevin Singleton, Potawatomi - {ZRT - Sector 4}

(Allegheny County)

This piece was copied from the Wall Street Journal website (emphasis added)

The Obama campaign talks a lot about new ideas and expanding the political map, but in the swing state of Pennsylvania, which the campaign has focused on almost exclusively since the Democratic convention, old-school issues still rise to the fore.

The latest example came Friday during a small political event at SCHOTT North America Inc., a glass factory in Duryea, Pa., where even a hand-picked crowd threw Barack Obama a curve ball.

A woman in the crowd told Obama she had “heard a rumor” that he might be planning some sort of gun ban upon being elected president. Obama trotted out his standard policy stance, that he had a deep respect for the “traditions of gun ownership” but favored measures in big cities to keep guns out of the hands of “gang bangers and drug dealers’’ in big cities “who already have them and are shooting people.”

“If you’ve got a gun in your house, I’m not taking it,’’ Obama said. But the Illinois senator could still see skeptics in the crowd, particularly on the faces of several men at the back of the room.

So he tried again. “Even if I want to take them away, I don’t have the votes in Congress,’’ he said. “This can’t be the reason not to vote for me. Can everyone hear me in the back? I see a couple of sportsmen back there. I’m not going to take away your guns.’’
    All that's separating him from your gun rights are a few votes in Congress.

When I first got married, my wife was absolutely terrified of guns. It was as if they would explode and randomly shoot everyone in the house. I only had two handguns (glock 19 and a H&K .45 usp). I sold both guns, much to my regret.

It didn't take too many Obama press releases to have me back in the gunstores looking to replace my old guns. I settled on a nice Springfield XD (.45 / tactical). The gun store (Braverman's in Wilkinsburg) was packed and apparently they've been very busy. Good for them, but is this gun-buying frenzy just a false alarm, or are we really looking at another ban?

(Beaver County)

We're really looking at another ban.

It will take the efforts of all of us through activism, contributions to lobby organizations, information campaigns, and education to prevent the Democrat-controlled Congress having their way with the 2A.

The price of freedom is constant vigilance. Maybe nothing's changed since last January, but I don't believe it, and I recommend that you don't think for a second that you can rest.
    Kevin Singleton, Potawatomi - {ZRT - Sector 4}

(Venango County)

A) Obama is on record for wanting to ban firearms in cities. Including LTCF or CCW depending on the state. Unfortunately, this will be the foot in the door, too.

B) I get nervous when he speaks of "your sporting arms" etc.

C) I am surprised at people spending this money at the last minute when there is no guarantee that any gun ban legislation will have any grandfather clauses in them. They may have phase out clauses or outright confiscations.

Seems to be a waste of money. The only possible logical conclusion then, is that these arms might be used for the 'resistance', should it come to that.

D) In his book Audacity to Hope, (before Presidential run), he mentions the phrase "they cling to their religion and guns". I don't have the book now to quote it but will add later when I get home. Basically, IIRC, he uses that line on the rich elites to gain favor and a donation/funding from them. So, it was something he re-used during the race. I was curious why he would insult so many Pennsylvanians. The book explains it. Though, I still think he is an ass for saying it.
    It is you. You have all the weapons that you need. Now fight. --Sucker Punch

(Lancaster County)

obama would ban all guns if he did not fear the political consequences. He might well believe a reinstatement of the so called AWB would gain him as much support as it would lose him. If that is so he has only to give the word to his democratic congress and a bill will be on his desk for signature quickly. I doubt, however, he will take guns already out there, that not only creates a lot of ill feeling, but also take money to administer.

I see a new AWB as quite possible with no sunset, but with a grandfather clause. Also maybe increased taxes on guns and ammo. Increased fees for brady checks. Increase fee for FFL licenses. If he can't do an outright ban he will try to make it cost more.

I bought some new guns before the election, but I bought out of fear of economic collapse, future terror attacks, hyperinflation and lack of food and water. I do not think "obama" is driving gun sales, but the fragile state of our economy, increase in domestic terror threat, and now a democrat controlled congress. Its foolish to that in the past 8 years a republican president and republican controlled congress did not make decisions against the will of the majority people in this country.

Giving Obama 100% credit for increase in gun sales excludes the thousands of other factors that have been driving folks to pick up guns. I know tons of liberals and progressives who have been arming, and it has nothing to do with Obama. There are plenty of people out there who are just as fearful of the GOP and its intentions as well.
    Last edited by original gunner; January 16th, 2009 at 08:38 PM.

How are we to defend ourselves from the zombies?
    Quote Originally Posted by dkf View Post
    Official Gun Bully and corn flakes pisser inner since March 2007.

(Somerset County)

Quote Originally Posted by original gunner View Post
    I bought some new guns before the election, but I bought out of fear of economic collapse, future terror attacks, hyperinflation and lack of food and water. I do not think "obama" is driving gun sales, but the fragile state of our economy, increase in domestic terror threat, and now a democrat controlled congress. Its foolish to that in the past 8 years a republican president and republican controlled congress did not make decisions against the will of the majority people in this country.

Giving Obama 100% credit for increase in gun sales excludes the thousands of other factors that have been driving folks to pick up guns. I know tons of liberals and progressives who have been arming, and it has nothing to do with Obama. There are plenty of people out there who are just as fearful of the GOP and its intentions as well.

well , Obama is the only name I hear cursed in the gun stores.
    Don't blame me ; I voted for an American .

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by animalmother85 View Post
    How are we to defend ourselves from the zombies?
    We're not too, the govermenet wants you to lock youself in your attic and let the zombies steal your TV and other valuables. But what ever you do, do not harm the zombies in any way, even verbally abuse them because it may hurt their feelings and that would be wrong! We're suppose to brain washed in letting our goverment help us for everything!

Talking about how the gov will raise prices on guns and ammo, their already doing it with cigerettes!
    Last edited by dlclarkii; January 18th, 2009 at 12:24 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast