Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default Microtech MSAR556

Just looked at a MSAR556, bullpup design, copy of the Steyr AUG. It looks and feels like a well designed gun but I would like to hear from someone that has one before spending 2000 dollars on it. Any help would really be appreciated.
    Last edited by rey; January 16th, 2009 at 03:08 PM.

(Washington County)

Default Re: Microtech MSAR556

I don't own one, but I have shot them. They are very well made guns. If an AUG style rifle is what you want, that would be the best choice.

Also, they're made in Bradford, PA if you like to buy local products.

Microtech has a reputation for making high quality knives, and they put the same kind of care into their firearms.

Vince
    www.bloomautomatic.com - Golf Ball Launchers for AR-15, SKS, FAL, and many others

www.bloomautomatic.com/lbsc - Long Branch Sportsman's Club, Long Branch, PA

(Dauphin County)

I don't have one...
    But I know that AR mags. will not fit or work with them...
    FS2000 is almost the same price and take AR mags...

(Delaware County)

2000$ is to much for a MSAR 556. Last one I saw was 1640$ The mags are like 42 bucks a piece to boot no one carries them and it won't take AUG mags! I went with the FN FS2000 also and happy I did. Its a new more innovated design not a knock off of a 30 year old rifle, forward ejection and takes AR mags witch is a huge plus. But hey if you like the 556 go for it. I would look around for a better price!!!

(Allegheny County)

Thanks for your help. I really appreciate it.

(Bucks County)

I've been very happy with my 2nd Gen STG-556. mags run about $30-$36 and come in 10,20,30, and 42 round capacity. The E4 model is due to ship soon which will accept AR mags and have the barrel threaded 1/2x28 to take AR muzzle accessories.

I paid $1700 for mine with 6 magazines.

How I firsdt set it up

and how it is now, with a scope and suppressor

(Berks County)

I saw this.. The original is returning..

http://www.steyrarms.com/news/items/...ash=10dd064c1d

Product Update-Steyr AUG

Friday, January 09, 2009 - Steyr Arms, Inc

2009 New Steyr Product Update!

Steyr Arms, Inc. is pleased to announce the unveiling of the new Steyr AUG A3 SA USA at the 2009 Shot Show in Orlando, Florida. On Wednesday, January 14 members of the media will be the first to see and test fire the iconic rifle that Steyr fans have been waiting since the Eighties to see the newest version.

Currently, the AUG is in the final stages of product development and is expected to hit the shelves of Steyr Dealers in 1st quarter 2009. In fact, the very first units are already in endurance testing as of the date of this article. Most companies run 1-2,000 rounds through their guns to test them, not Steyr-Mannlicher. The Steyr rifles have at least 10,000 rounds run through them while continually testing for both durability and accuracy.

Steyr Arms, Inc. has been inundated over the last several months by dealers and gun enthusiasts asking both when and where the new AUG would be available for sale. Both the AUG and all other Steyr products will be available for retail purchase in your local authorized Steyr Dealer. In fact, it is advised that you call your local dealer early as most dealers are taking pre-orders on a first come first serve basis. To look for a dealer near you, check on our website dealer page or feel free to call us at 205-467-6544. Or simply shoot us an email on our "Contact" page.

Be sure to check back often for more information or sign up for the newsletter as new information is released on specifications, availability, pricing, etc.

Your Steyr Arms Team

(Bradford County)

The amusing part is, both the Steyr AUG and the copy have almost the same MSRP. I loved the AUG when I was younger, but I'm not sure it's a $2K + gun.

Now, if only we could get someone to make a FAMAS...

Edit: Didn't know the poster above me didn't have pricing. Steyr said at Shot 2009 it's expected to run $2295.99.
    Last edited by J Star; January 18th, 2009 at 11:28 AM.

(Bucks County)

i paid 1899 for my STG556 on Christmas eve as a present to myself, mine is a generation 4 and accepts AUG mags, doesn't have the forward assist and has the tulip style FH. mine came with the 1.5 optic and i'm glad it did because i favor the original AUG look and don't like the looks of the flat top. while the AUG is a 30 year old design it's my understanding microtech made significant improvements to the original design. upon examining the stg556 it's obvious microtech didn't spare any expense or take any shortcuts developing and building these rifles.

i haven't been able to find any STG556's for less than 1799 since the election but i think 2k is a little to much unless that's after taxes, transfer fees, etc. tanners in jamison has a green flat top STG556 for 1899, i saw it yesterday and tanners usually has the best prices on anything in my area. i don't have a problem with buying different mags and i'm not obssessed with AR15 mags although i admit having more than one rifle that takes the same mag is a bonus. the gen4 stg556 is supposed to be able to take original AUG mags but i haven't tried to see if my AUG mags will fit.

when all is said and done the stg556 is a great rifle, but i'd try and see if i could find one for a 100-200 cheaper. if you have to pay 2K i'd suggest you buy the FN fs2000 because i believe it's a better buy for the price than the stg556. with obamination if office and the likelyhood of another AWB on the horizon you best buy what you can while you can.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by nra-life-member View Post
    I saw this.. The original is returning..

http://www.steyrarms.com/news/items/...ash=10dd064c1d

Product Update-Steyr AUG

Friday, January 09, 2009 - Steyr Arms, Inc

2009 New Steyr Product Update!

Steyr Arms, Inc. is pleased to announce the unveiling of the new Steyr AUG A3 SA USA at the 2009 Shot Show in Orlando, Florida. On Wednesday, January 14 members of the media will be the first to see and test fire the iconic rifle that Steyr fans have been waiting since the Eighties to see the newest version.

Currently, the AUG is in the final stages of product development and is expected to hit the shelves of Steyr Dealers in 1st quarter 2009. In fact, the very first units are already in endurance testing as of the date of this article. Most companies run 1-2,000 rounds through their guns to test them, not Steyr-Mannlicher. The Steyr rifles have at least 10,000 rounds run through them while continually testing for both durability and accuracy.

Steyr Arms, Inc. has been inundated over the last several months by dealers and gun enthusiasts asking both when and where the new AUG would be available for sale. Both the AUG and all other Steyr products will be available for retail purchase in your local authorized Steyr Dealer. In fact, it is advised that you call your local dealer early as most dealers are taking pre-orders on a first come first serve basis. To look for a dealer near you, check on our website dealer page or feel free to call us at 205-467-6544. Or simply shoot us an email on our "Contact" page.

Be sure to check back often for more information or sign up for the newsletter as new information is released on specifications, availability, pricing, etc.

Your Steyr Arms Team
    in reality sabre defense is building the steyr AUG in the US not steyr. i think the microtech is every bit as good if not better than the AUG and think the STG 556 will compete well. it's really sad obama won the election because there are several new innovative weapons systems just coming to market. the FN SCAR, AUG, Kriss Super V, BM ACR to name a few and i hope all the conservatives and gun owners that voted for obama are happy with their selection.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast