Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Philadelphia County)

Default Got a SIG 556 Pistol: First Impression

Simply WOW!!! Wife and I decided that we need a Christmas present for the 2 of us since we are not traveling out of the country this year. After a lengthy research period and A LOT shopping around, it seems that the price of this sucker keeps going up with no end in sight. We bit the bullet and got it on Gunbroker from Montana Ordnance.

Weighing in at 6lbs unloaded, this gun was a dream to shoot at the range. We tried some Remington 55gr .223 and some M193 5.56 FMJ. There was almost no recoil whatsoever. My wife shot it using the laser sight from the gut, 1 or 2 inches away from her body, and the gun didn't even come back to touch her! The only complaint was the sight. I didn't put the factory red dot sight on because I want to sell it back and get something better (multi-reticle or even an EOTech). The iron sights, being secondary just didn't give a very good sight picture, which makes it harder to shoot in addition to hoisting up a relatively heavier pistol with no vertical fore grip or stock. Since I live in Philadelphia, I can't turn it into AOW (VFG or SBR). Can't wait to try this outdoor and see how accurate it really is at long range with a 10.5" barrel.

The TLR-2 laser/light seems was PERFECT for this gun. The activation switch is in an ideal position for the weak-hand to activate in "flashing" mode (stays on when kept depressed, but off as soon as pressure is removed) while holding the forearm. Having a laser sight for this gun is a must in my opinion. It was VERY accurate even without any laser sight tuning. All I need now is a good sling.

Here are some photos of this bad boy:

Sorry, no natural daylight when these were taken.

Here it is sizing up to my G26. This is with a 30-rd mag.

...and with the wife's Walther PPK/S. Note the other side of the mag, which has a mag connector.

The Thermold 20-rd mag makes it look a little cooler...I think.

If you are in the Philadelphia area and interested in trying this out at my local range, please let me know. I shoot at SPAG about 3 or 4 times a month.

Al

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Got a SIG 556 Pistol: First Impression

Why can't you turn it into an AOW or SBR? I would love to get that pistol and convert it to a SBR.
    Quote Originally Posted by GunLawyer001 View Post
    If the police could confiscate all of your guns and ammo using just one van, then you didn't own enough guns or ammo.
    WTB - NDS3 or NDS1 receiver FTF

Quote Originally Posted by mojo View Post
    Why can't you turn it into an AOW or SBR? I would love to get that pistol and convert it to a SBR.
    He cant through the CLEO sign off method is what he's referring to.

(Allegheny County)

Then I would do it through a Corp.

BTW that's a great looking pistol. Maybe one day ...
    Quote Originally Posted by GunLawyer001 View Post
    If the police could confiscate all of your guns and ammo using just one van, then you didn't own enough guns or ammo.
    WTB - NDS3 or NDS1 receiver FTF

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by mojo View Post
    Kaos is right. Here's the thread: http://forum.pafoa.org/nfa-class-3-t...cleo-sign.html

Al

(Dauphin County)

WOW... I like it...

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by ssom003 View Post
    WOW... I like it...
    3 other people have shot it since and they LOVED it. I actually considered the FN FS2000, but found it to be too heavy. I also considered the PS90 in your avatar, but decided that I wanted the SIG more because of the more common ammo and ability to accept standard AR mags.

Al

(Chester County)

Congrats on your 556. I picked one up yesterday and cant wait to either Tube or stock it. SBR here I come.....

I was very impressed with the quality of these whatever you want to call them. Very cool weapon. The red dot isnt bad at all kinda Micro T like but cheaper.

It is really designed as a sling gun, you will be able to use the sling as a stock once you get the methodology down. The sling will work as a cheek rest.

When I find the right one I will let you know where to find it.

Also Pmags seem to fit much better than the factory mag did.........

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by d90king View Post
    Congrats on your 556. I picked one up yesterday and cant wait to either Tube or stock it. SBR here I come.....

I was very impressed with the quality of these whatever you want to call them. Very cool weapon. The red dot isnt bad at all kinda Micro T like but cheaper.

It is really designed as a sling gun, you will be able to use the sling as a stock once you get the methodology down. The sling will work as a cheek rest.

When I find the right one I will let you know where to find it.

Also Pmags seem to fit much better than the factory mag did.........
    Awesome! Thanks for the the feedback and your thought on the sling. Do let me know. I tried the PMags yesterday and they fit very well and look very nice on it. The SIG factory mag is sharp and can cut your fingers when you load the cartridges.

Al

congrats! sounds like you are really enjoying it. Well I've joined the sig 556 pistol club lol. just picked up mine, I got the sig 556 swat pistol model so far I'm very pleased. can't wait to get to the range with some minor up grades, Lazer/light and foregrip.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast