Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

View Poll Results: Have you ever caught a stranger carrying?

Voters
100. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, once or twice

28 28.00%
  • No

40 40.00%
  • A few times

25 25.00%
  • Often

7 7.00%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Lancaster County)

Default Catching People Carrying

So we have noticed in the "POLL: How observant do you think people REALLY are??" thread that we think people typically don't notice we are carrying.

The focus of this poll/thread is to find out how many of us have caught other people carrying.

Stipulations
    1. They had to have been people you did not know. (or at least people you had no prior knowledge of their carrying)
    2. Include your story!

Thanks,
    nhughesmd

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Catching People Carrying

last year i was Idlewild park in Ligonier and was CCing. everyone told me i shouldn't take my gun to the park, but i told them that protection was lax and you hardly see the police patrol roaming. i CCed my Sig P220 SoB and bent over quite a few times to help my then 1 year old son. i know a lot of people saw the pistol, but no one said anything. while there my wifes friends said they didn't like me carrying around kids and i then proceeded to point out people that had firearms on them as well. in 30 minutes i pointed out 4 people that were Printing and one obvious pistol under a guys shirt that wasn't concealed very well with the barrel showing.

my wifes freinds really hate when i'm around. they have the "only police need guns" mentality.

at first night last year 2007/2008, a person was stabbed 10 feet from them and a fight broke out. they came to the house afterwards and they couldn't control their feelings. they kept saying why would people do that what is wrong with people. i just told them that they saw the best exaple of why i carry.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

(Delaware County)

I think that I look for this a lot while out and about but it is really hard to spot even when you know what to look for.

(Mercer County)

I have found that it isn't too much of a problem to "catch" people carrying.
    I find the most people tug at the cover garment or reach down to reposition the carry holster.
    When people reach for something or bend the holster will print or the stick out from under the cover garment.
    Just start "people" watching and you'll notice more people carrying.

oracle
    The oracle is in. Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill!!

About a yr ago at the Capitol City Diner in Hbg. It was in the late fall.

Man and his wife in a booth. His right side was facing out of the booth and he had his jacket all bunched up at his right hip. Really crunched and pushed up to above his belt.

I saw them come in and watched them sit. He took his jacket off left arm first and did not reveal his hip when he sat down.

When we got up to leave I made sure he saw the Walther on my hip. I nodded to him and we left.

I try very hard to look at everyone for signs but so far he is the only one... and I didn't really see if he really was 'walking the dog'.

DAMN cold her at Mountain Command. Bright sun and it's 11 degrees with a nice breeze.

IN DOG WE TRUST
    OBEY THE YELLOW LAB

(Monroe County)

I've spotted a few, none overly exciting, people getting out of cars at gas stations is the most common. I spotted two on the same day once. One was an older gent who looked like he was openly carrying a 1911 under his coat (so it was CCW). He wasn't trying to hide it

Second was a big fat dude. maybe 35, 5'8 or so and maybe 350 pounds? Was driving a pickup truck and carrying SOB. when he bent over to pick up something he dropped it looked like a flag sticking out of his ass crack. I just started laughing. "This ass the property of GLOCK! (I don't know what it was, just funny :P )

You can often tell at restaurants as people take off their coats or sit down to get into a booth / chair.
    The first vehicles normally on the scene of a crime are ambulances and police cruisers. If you are armed you have a chance to decide who gets transported in which vehicle, if you are not armed then that decision is made for you.

Be prepared, because someone else already is and no one knows their intent except them.

(Dauphin County)

Finding other carriers is like my 6th possibly 7th sense.

My gf and I were at a fairly nice bar/grill and we got to talking about how I was prob. the only one carrying in here....Long story short I found two tohers one was deffinate as he sat down his shirt rode up and exposed the entire firearm, and other other was printing real bad...she was shocked to say the least.....although she dosent pay attention to things like that but things like that are among the first things I see about people.
    Last edited by crakkajakka15; January 16th, 2009 at 03:34 PM.

(Chester County)

I have seen a few. Once I have noticed a full flash when some guy went for a wallet. I think I was the only one who noticed. Other times I just saw people printing (I guess that counts). The one guy's shirt was tight enough you could just about read the serial number. I would have to say I notice because I look for them.

(York County)

I spot them every once in a while. Like the other posts here, you can usually spot a CC'r when they repeatedly tug their shirt down over their waistband, or obviously try to move and sit awkwardly at a restaurant.

Saw a guy in WallyMart with obvious bulge on right hip, printing enough that I could see the outline of the IWB holster inside his pants. Saw an older guy at another place with 1911 OWB under an unzipped lightweight jacket, not at all concerned about concealing and a tough look on his leathery face like 'You wanna mess with me? I've been through 3 wars and not much scares me. Just try it, pal.'

Last month at the Army-Navy game the wife and I were making our way to our parking spot and a guy in a trench coat crossed the street right in front of our car. I spotted the ear piece on his right ear and a slight bulge on his right side. I told the missus, "Check out the secret service guy. I bet he's packing something serious." She said, "No way, he's not." Sure enough, a stiff breeze blew his coat tight against his side, outlining what was obviously a subgun of some kind. "Wow, honey! Did you see that?" was the wife's response. I grinned. Knowing that the President was at the game sort of clued me in.

(York County)

I always look at people's right side hip. And I have never seen anything. Seen alot of cell phones though.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast