Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: Bond Arms SnakeSlayer .410 Derringer

Quote Originally Posted by doug View Post
    Great photos and your information is just what I needed!

I carry a 45 long colt Cimarron's Sheriff's model for conceal and carry here in Kansas. We just got our law implamented 1-1-07.

I may be one of the few who care to carry a single action pistol for CC but it's what I shoot all the time. If I was confronted and had an auto, I'd forget to flip the safty or something else. It's not second nature for me to shoot an auto loader. I thought long and hard about what to carry and decided the 45 was my only choice. For back up, I'm planning to purchase a derringer in 45/410.

Paola Slick

(Washington County)

I bought one of the FMJ single shot .410/45 derringers a few years ago. Mainly because it was used at the gun shop for $40! For $40 I couldn't pass it up. considerable recoil, and with #7 shot, it wouldn't even penetrate a one gallon steel paint thinner can! the 3 balls of buckshot are the way to go with it. the .45 LC seems to lose to much velocity.

vince
    www.bloomautomatic.com - Golf Ball Launchers for AR-15, SKS, FAL, and many others

www.bloomautomatic.com/lbsc - Long Branch Sportsman's Club, Long Branch, PA

(Erie County)

Winchester also makes a 3" .410 shell with 5 balls, 000 buck. You can get them from the Bond Arms Online Store if you can't find them locally. Good for really big snakes. --edit, ammo no longer listed for sale at bondarms.com

Last edited by doug; February 5th, 2008 at 12:41 AM.

I am a BIG fan of the Bond Arms Derringer. I have a Bond Texas Defender and a Cowboy both in .38/.357. I carry .38 non +P to tame the recoil. The trigger pull is not bad if you learn the proper grip. If the web of you grip hand touches the cocked hammer it makes the pull very heavy. You have to practice a lower grip with the hammer cocked (empty gun). Utilizing a two handed hold and placing the other non-grip hand index finger in the gap between the frame and the grip index finger you can put a good hold on the gun, cocking with your non-grip thumb. The grip index finger pulls the trigger down and the non grip cover hand aims. It sounds hard, but it is really quite easy once you practice it. I love this gun b/c there is noting to go wrong. No slide to jam, no cylinder to lock up, and it fits nicely in a pocket or a defender holster on those days when I don't want to carry a bigger gun (always)! This gun is CNC machined to perfection, has a lifetime warranty, and is built solid! I have no problem trusting my life to this powerhouse. Those double barrels stop most fights before they even begin. I suggest the .38 and a good close range stopper at defensive distances of 15' or less. The bond is my PRIMARY CCW, and there is never an excuse not to carry one.

http://www.bondarms.com/
    Attached Images Attached Images

(Lycoming County)

This looks like it might be the ultimate pocket BUG. Can both bbls accommodate 45LC and .410? Or is it one of each?
    "Happiness, is a warm gun." -St. John of Liverpool

1911 Curmudgeon

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Average Baer View Post
    This looks like it might be the ultimate pocket BUG. Can both bbls accommodate 45LC and .410? Or is it one of each?
    Both barrels can accomodate either 45LC or .410. So, you can mix 'n match in any way you like.
    "Political Correctness is just tyranny with manners"
    -Charlton Heston

"[The Constitution preserves] the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation...(where) the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms."
    -James Madison, Federalist Papers, No. 46.

"America does not go abroad in search of monsters to destroy." [sic]
    -John Quincy Adams

"I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies."
    -Thomas Jefferson

Μολών λαβέ!
    -King Leonidas

I have a Texas Defender in 44 Special with a reduced weight trigger spring. It is a excellent gun with mild recoil and I highly recommend a new spring to reduce the trigger pull.

(Allegheny County)

I have alway thought these looked cool and would like to add one to the cllection one day, but I know nothing of how they function.
    How do you chose which barrel to shoot from?
    When you cock it does it shoot one specific chamber first then when you cock it does it switch to other itself or is there something else you need to do?

It automatically selects the barrel, nothing you need to do. You can manually decide what barrel to shoot first also but I have never done that, I just pull the trigger and don't worry about it. I have added the extended grips and reduced weight spring, both help with accuracy. I have S&W's but I have to say this is my favorite gun even though it's not as practical as others.

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: Bond Arms Snake Slayer .410 Derringer

Quote Originally Posted by doug View Post
    Recoil is considerable with the .410, but not too bad. The .410 / 45Colt barrel is the most popular barrel for derringers by bondarms. For around $140 you can get addional interchangable barrels of various calibers from the Bond Arms Online Store. I also have a .357 barrel for mine. A .44 would be neat.

The grip is so tiny that it's difficult to get a firm handle on, which is my only complaint. My dad has a .410 bondarms 'texas defender' which has an even smaller grip and barrel than my snake slayer. It only accepts 2.5 inch shells though, where mine takes 3 inch.

I spent $500 for the snake slayer, and another $100 for the leather holster. I use winchester super-X OOO buckshot pumpkinballs (3) and remington #9 birdshot.

Overall a great pocket gun, and very popular with the guys at the local ranges. I don't like shoot it too much due to the recoil, but one shot should do the trick if I ever get into a pinch.

It's VERY loud

I bought the Texas Defender then went onine and got the snake slayer barrel. I carry it as a pocket gun when I absolutely can't afford to have a holster print ;-) .

They did use to have 44magnum, until the employee who test fired the barrels/helped with R&D fucked up his wrist and dislocated his thumb. They decided it wasn't worth the liability. I'd love to have one. I probably wouldn't use it at the range with regular loads but I'd carry them as a BUG or super concealable pistol.

Yes it's very load, and belches out a nice fireball. The point of aim on both barrels is more distant then I expected but as long as I can hit center of mass with it I don't really care.

I picked mine up at American Sport Shooting. Rich had it in stock. I paid $450 or $480 for it I think.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast