Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Question Conflicted about CMP Garand purchase

I've decided to get myself a service grade Springfield Armory Garand from the CMP. I'm currently waiting for my membership stuff to come back from the GCA and I already have my "proof of firearms activity" with my LTCF. As soon as my GCA membership comes in the mail, then I can proceed with getting my rifle, and now we come to my dilemma.

I've been lurking around the CMP forums and have become aware that as of today, the CMP is shipping orders that came in around mid-November; that's about a two month delay. If I sent my order in this week I wouldn't expect to have a rifle on my doorstep until mid-March. Currently, I'm planning on being in north-eastern Ohio during the second week of March to visit family. Given this information, I'm trying to decide whether to send in a mail order as soon as I get my GCA membership, or to just wait until I'm in Ohio and drive over to Port Clinton and pick one out. What do you think I should do??

Regardless of what I do, I have a fear that the CMP will run out of rifles before I'm able to get mine, given how busy they've been lately. If I really needed to, I could take a Friday off and bite the bullet and just drive over to Port Clinton A.S.A.P. Does anyone have any "inside" info about how many rifles they might have left or how long they'll last?

Default Re: Conflicted about CMP Garand purchase

As soon as my GCA membership comes in the mail,
    Since the GCA electronically sends the membership roster to the CMP every week or so, you don't need to wait for anything .

Regards,

Walt
    Board of Directors, GCA
    Author,
    The M14 Complete Assembly Guide
    The M1 Garand Complete Assembly Guide
    The AR-15 Complete Assembly Guide
    The AR-15 Complete Owner's Guide

(Chester County)

Just hope that O doesn't sign an executive order in the meantime that shuts down the sales.

(Allegheny County)

Benefit of driving over also includes picking one out for yourself!!! Rather than "luck of the draw", which, in and of itself, an excitement!

(Chester County)

Do what I want to do - BOTH! I sent an order in Dec, processed and I got my DBU so I expect it to arrive ~mid March. But I'm going to go there late Feb. to pick out another and a Carbine

They're an investment and a piece of American history. They aren't made anymore. You do the math...

(Centre County)

If you're getting a service grade I don't think you have to worry, I don't think they sell as many as they do the rack and field grade. I know if you order one it comes out of AL (CMP South). The CMP folks take great pains to get you as good a rifle that they can. Mine is closer to Correct grade than it is to Service grade. However, If I had a chance to go to Port Clinton to CMP I probably would, just to be able to go and look around. I'd probably leave my checkbook/credit cards at home because if not, I'd probably spend way too much otherwise, LOL.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

They haven't had rack grades in stock for a while now...at least since I started looking at their site during the summer. I finally ordered my service grade Garand at the end of October and got my rifle in November. I was lucky, I got my DBU on 11/3 and beat the huge rush at CMP post elections...in fact I think they're still processing November orders.

If I had the time/money/want to go to OH, I'd definitely go to the North store and pick out a service grade in person. From what I hear they have tools to grade MW/TE and you can pick through rifles and get exactly what you want...whether that is a low serial #, high serial #, good stock, weathered stock, etc.

BTW, while you are out there[if you go] definitely stock up on as much ammo as you can afford to buy/carry. CMPs shipping prices are pretty reasonable considering the low cost of their ammo compared to any where else but saving $9/can on shipping really adds up!

(Snyder County)

Quote Originally Posted by seoulstice View Post
    If I had the time/money/want to go to OH, I'd definitely go to the North store and pick out a service grade in person. From what I hear they have tools to grade MW/TE and you can pick through rifles and get exactly what you want...whether that is a low serial #, high serial #, good stock, weathered stock, etc.
    This is the reason that I would wait till Ohio to get one. You can personally go, look at everything they have, have someone show you the tools, show you what to look for, describe everything, and pick out your own rifle. If I was heading to OH, I would do this. I have heard they are excellent at helping out the new guys. Definitely a must for my trip through OH in July.

(Lancaster County)

I got my Garand, Carbine, 03 Springfield and 03/A3 Remington from the CMP and their service is incredible. Orest has been around a while and is very good about cutting off orders if he thinks demand will exceed supply. You're probably safe if they haven't cut off orders yet.

Get your order in today then proceed to check the CMP website obsessively 10-20 times a day (min) for the next two months! lol...

Then enjoy the thrill and responsibility that comes with caring for a distinguished vereran! Don't forget the pics!

(Huntingdon County)

I have been waiting for my info from GCA as well, sent the application and the check in 2 weeks or so ago.
    I signed up to have the info sent over to CMP, but the check has not been cashed yet, so once that does I will order.
    Will give me some time to calm the wife down at least
    Nice to know there is a board member here :-)
    Last edited by bigdog02; January 15th, 2009 at 02:26 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast