Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default price of shooting.......omg

probably has been said before but wow prices are expensive to shoot just about anything.

i just went to dicks because i getting together this weekend with a pafoa member here and were going to break some clays and then im going to get a application for a local range. box of 100ct 12g shells = 29.99 box of 90ct clays = 7.99 looks like .30 a shell and .09 per clay thats basically .39 everytime i pull the trigger :-) thats not going to slow me down any but its expensive to buy ammo. im hopefully soon going to be buying reloading equipment. is there a special machine for shotgun reloads or can it be done with almost any normal reloading press?

on a side note wtf is up with selling 90ct of clays per case and 100ct of shells per clays. is that kinda like the hotdog/hotdog bun deal?

(Lehigh County)

Default Re: price of shooting.......omg

We use a MEC reloader for reloading, it's a shotgun shell specific press. If you go to a clays facility and ask they may even give you buckets full of shells to reload. It's not the cheapest to reload either.
    There are probably cheaper places for ammo as well.
    http://www.mecreloaders.com/
    Last edited by ADerhammer; January 14th, 2009 at 05:09 PM.

(Delaware County)

Wal-mart is $20 per box of 100 in either federal or winchester.

(Lehigh County)

yeh everytime i blow off a 75 round drum in my ak thats another 15 20 bucks down the drain.

(Mercer County)

Quote Originally Posted by daveshepp View Post
    on a side note wtf is up with selling 90ct of clays per case and 100ct of shells per clays. is that kinda like the hotdog/hotdog bun deal?
    No offense, but maybe they figure you'll miss with the first shot on a few.

For some reason, my brothers and I always end up with extra clays - even with the 10-shell advantage when we start.

(Cambria County)

Since most people shoot less in winter. Try this. Every payday go to Wal-Mart and buy one or two boxes of ammo. Do this every payday. And then, come summer, you'll have a nice stash built up to shoot. Works great for me.

Two boxes a pay. Two pays a month. That = 400 rounds a month. Figure on Dec., Jan., Feb., and maybe March. You now have 400 x 4 which equals 1600 rounds to start your summer off. And it didn't hurt much at all.

My stash is getting bigger every two weeks.
    The American Revolution would never have happened with gun control....
    The day they want my guns, they'll have to bring theirs!!!
    Proud to be One of the 3%

(Chester County)

I don't reload, but most of the guys I talk to say they save about a $1 per box. Given that savings, it will take a long time and lots of boxes before it pays to reload. Did you check Dick's Case price, 10 boxes, on Remington Gun Clubs? They work fine for most clay shooting. Generally that is cheaper than the 4 box 100 round.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by Mtbkski View Post
    Since most people shoot less in winter. Try this. Every payday go to Wal-Mart and buy one or two boxes of ammo. Do this every payday. And then, come summer, you'll have a nice stash built up to shoot. Works great for me.

Two boxes a pay. Two pays a month. That = 400 rounds a month. Figure on Dec., Jan., Feb., and maybe March. You now have 400 x 4 which equals 1600 rounds to start your summer off. And it didn't hurt much at all.

My stash is getting bigger every two weeks.
    I do the very same thing. When I feel flush with some extra cash, I will stop when I go by sporting goods\ gunshop. Stock pile some for a rainy day.

(Lebanon County)

I've seriously cut back on my shooting, used to be back in the day...When a friend and I would go out with the AK and an AR and just "blow" through a couple of cases. Nowadays, I don't even want to practice..I have been finding a good deal on 5.56 at 125.00 for 500, the first case was SP but subsequent case have been FMJ, yes it is Wolf brand but it shoots good in my DPMS..And I don't go "ballistic" anymore.
    I'm heading out today to buy some .308 BTHP Match 5 boxes Hornady run me 130.00. Now, I don't go nutz with the sniper rifle but hell I do like to shoot a few boxes at a time. I want to stock up but I still like to smell the powder once and awhile!

OFF SUB: I have a "FEW" pounds of Pyrodex...I have it stored extremely well and was curious just how long will this last me? I've had some if it for about 5 years and I use it FIFO..Should I start shooting it out and replacing or can I stock it?

Searcher