Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Bedford County)

Default Springfield Armory XD-M ????

Can anyone or does anyone have any info on these ?

I'm more of a .45 acp guy , buuuuttttttttt , 19+1 , well , that
    grabs my attention !!

20 rounds of 9mm , hmmmm , maybe the wife might like it . ha ha

Any info is appreciated , I'm just not sure by the advertisement on
    the site if they're actually out yet ...

Thanks ..
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]"

Default Re: Springfield Armory XD-M ????

Quote Originally Posted by SilentRage View Post
    Can anyone or does anyone have any info on these ?

I'm more of a .45 acp guy , buuuuttttttttt , 19+1 , well , that
    grabs my attention !!

20 rounds of 9mm , hmmmm , maybe the wife might like it . ha ha

Any info is appreciated , I'm just not sure by the advertisement on
    the site if they're actually out yet ...

Thanks ..
    I have one, what do you want to know?

Here's some size comparison pics

http://forum.pafoa.org/gun-pictures-...-pictures.html

Here's a brief range report:

200 rounds of WWB, and 15 rounds of Federal HST 124+P and I have to say I'm very happy with the gun, it points fabulously well and I'm shocked to say that my point shooting was better than sighted fire.

The gun recoils much better than I expected, even with the +P loads, I honestly couldn't feel the difference like I can when shooting other guns of equal caliber.

I think the rear sight notch could be a little wider, but I'm not going to sweat on it as they are probably going to be replaced with either Heinie or XS sights in the future. The front sight appeared nice and crisp, I don't know how much of this is from the serrated rear sight, but there was a clear difference between the two surfaces with proper sight alignment/picture. Also, while the original XD manual calls for a 6 o'clock hold, the "M" calls for center of target=impact and I found this to be the case, other's results may vary.

I wasn't sure how I felt about the "Mega-lock Texture" Hey, I didn't name the stuff... but it does make for a good grip.

I was shooting with the medium back strap (I tried to put the small one in, but after 45 minutes of pounding with hammer and punch I couldn't get the roll pin out, and YES I did read the manual to see if I was doing it right) and it felt fine, my "sighted" fire was a little low and left which is a me issue while my point shooting shots were pretty much dead on.

I didn't bother with measuring group sizes as quite frankly my groups were pure ass, but I haven't shot in months and the trigger does take some getting used to. Regarding the trigger, I found it to be OK for not being a 1911 and I did short-stroke the trigger on one occasion during rapid fire, again this is a me issue.

Overall I'm VERY, VERY happy with this gun, a few 100 rounds more and a holster or two and this will probably find it's way into the primary carry role.

What I really liked was loading 8 cartridges and seeing 11 empty witness holes waiting to show cases.
    As for why I went with this gun "type" from the 1911...
    This is partly a regurgitated piece as I consolidated several pieces of several posts and kind of mashed them together.

As most know I've always been a fan of the 1911, but recently switched from the 1911 to the Hi Power and from the Hi Power to the XDM-9.

Here's why...
    I was first introduced to the 1911 in the fall of '03 after leaving active duty and returning home where I began looking at getting my CHL (MI terminology) and I ran a couple of my Dad's guns including a Smith 1006, Colt LW Commander, Glock 22, and a couple of wheel guns, the 1911 smoked them all and I shot it the best of the bunch. I started with a Para P16-40 but migrated to the single stack 1911 in .45

I never felt that the .45ACP was the cartridge to beat all cartridges, but based on my experiences the 1911 seems to run best in .45ACP, 10mm, and .38Super, of those three the .45 was the best choice, it was never about the .45 being the man stopper of fables where your aggressor spins in circles and drops from being hit in the hand with the ever massive ashtray that is a .45ACP JHP. It was all about the 1911 platform. I had tried H-cap 1911s from Para in the past and carrying them seemed to be a burden, hindsight being 20/20, I know this could have been fixed with a better holster and belt.

There were several factors that influenced my to switch over to a 9mm with higher capacity.
    The wife and I attended a two day course in PA by Insights Training (A review can be read HERE) and while my wife and I did very well, the one thing I noticed was that while I was spanking the other shooters with placement and accuracy, during the stages I definitely had to reload more often. I kept up with the rounds being sent down range, but it definitely opened my mind.

Another bit of self realization came later while I was discussing how we as armed citizens are all ready planning on the "unlikely" event that we may need to draw and fire as the result of "X" and I thought to my self that if we're all ready carrying a gun, a spare mag or two, sometimes a back up gun (BUG) and at least a pocket knife, because we might need them, why carry something with less capacity than most of the autos out there? If you're going to carry, carry something that holds a lot of ammunition.

Again, I still love, will carry on occasion, and cherish my 1911s and like any 1911 fan will tell you is that it's still the gun of choice for LAPD SWAT, FBI HRT, Marine Force Recon, etc. but the fact remains that it's carried as a secondary weapon to a rifle or other weapon and they are part of a team, and before it gets to just one guy with a 1911, there's going to be one heck of a fight.

In most cases with civilians, that's not the way it goes down. It's just you and your pistol, no fire team, no M4 and 10 magazines, no M203 grenade launcher, just you and a pistol. I want my pistol to be as effective as possible and for me that meant upping the round count.

I also came across an article by Gabe Suarez posted on the PA Firearms Forum, while I was all ready looking to change guns, this didn't push over the edge, but it was still a good read and while some may not agree with everything to come out of Suarez's mouth, he does make a pretty good point in the article.

Anyway, here's what I wanted in the next gun.

• 9x19mm
    • Barrel length no shorter than 4", but less than 5" to maintain good velocity and accuracy, but still being shorter than 5" to clear the holster faster.
    • Preferably a metal frame
    • Capacity of 13 rounds or more.
    • Consistent trigger, either DAO striker fired, DAK, LEM, or Single Action Only. NO DA/SA. This was to try and maintain some consistency with my current carry guns. No need to try and reinvent the wheel so to speak.
    • Comfortable grip.
    • Cost of magazines.
    • Holster availability.

This pretty much ruled out all 1911s in 9mm. Capacity was either too low, or the bbl was too long, and as stated, I didn't care for the contours of the double stack 1911, and the high cap mags for a Para run about $50.00. That's not to say that I didn't find myself looking at them, but they just didn't fit my criteria in this case.

So now we're going to get into the why I picked "X" over "Y"

The guns I were looking at were:
    Sig 229 (all variants)
    HKP2000 (LEM)
    HKP30
    Glock 19
    Hi Power

I was pretty much set on a Sig 229 SCT and would have converted to DAK.

I didn't like the smaller mag release of the HKP2000 which they fixed on the P30, but the P30 is not going to be available in the LEM configuration, so I started looking elsewhere. That and holster availability was and is lacking IMHO.

The Glock 19 is a fantastic tool, but I find that the grip is just a tad too short for my liking and the trigger just feels squishy.

I was pretty much decided on the Sig as finding a Hi Power with my desired options wasn't happening, but then I came across a pretty good deal on a Hi Power that was set up almost identically my my Les Baer TRS so I jumped on it. The one reason I was really leaning toward the Hi Power was that it is of similar manual of arms as the 1911 on which I am most familiar and I could use all my 1911 holsters for the HP, all in all it sounded like a really good idea. The caliber, bbl. length, frame material, capacity, trigger, and feel in the hand was all dead on. Even the Sig 229 didn't "fit" my hand the way the stock Hi Powers did. Overall, the Hi Power is pretty close dimensionally to the Sig 229, except that it is considerably narrower.

So I had my Hi Power, and began getting acquainted with it over the course of a couple range trips, I had some issues with the gun and the smith I bought it from made things right. But I was still short stroking the trigger way too often, I've heard that many people that are primarily 1911 shooters can have issues with this as the reset is sooooo short, but I didn't think I would be one of these people, I don't know if it's just that I'm trying to shoot faster with the 9mm as the gun is coming back on target faster or what, but I was having some concerns on the HP, mainly the trigger reset being too long and that hammer bite that everyone was talking about, yeah that kinds sucks too. Another thing that I found odd was that the slide of the HP was heating up to the point where it was almost too hot to touch. This is after abut 150 rounds, now I'm no stranger to guns that get hot, the HK P7 will get twice as hot, twice as fast to the point where I know one guy who has three to bring to the range so he can let one cool while shooting the others. So I started looking around again for an alternative I didn't like the cost of the 229SCT or the HK AB (after baby) so I was looking back in the direction of the Springfield and the Glock right around the time that I found out about the XDM-40 and it appealed to me.

Regarding the original XD, I didn't like the slide profile and the Service (4") models just didn't look proportionate or feel very balanced in my hand, I hated the cocking serrations almost as much as I hate those of the Kimber SIS, petty but hey it's the gun I was going to buy and I can be as petty as I want, it's not like I don't have seven other handguns I can carry, although if I had it to all do over again, I would probably just get a Glock 19 and call it a day. I like the fact that I don't have to pull the trigger for disassembly like the previous XD and the Glock, lets face it, while everyone reading this will say that it shouldn't matter about pulling the trigger as anyone with common sense will clear the firearm before disassembly, right? Complacency happens to the best of us and anything I can do to lessen (not eliminate) the chances of a negligent discharge is a good thing IMHO.

Continued...

So looking back at my specs that I listed the XDM met almost all of them with the exception being the fame materiel, otherwise the XDM has everything I was looking for. I like the trigger better than the Glock and the capacity can't be beat.

• 9x19mm Check.
    • Barrel length no shorter than 4", but less than 5" to maintain good velocity and accuracy, but still being shorter than 5" to clear the holster faster.XDM has a 4.5" barrel and is still a bit shorter in length than the Hi Power
    • Preferably a metal frame, I know polymer is great, and everyone loves the 9mm because it recoils less, so why compromise the lesser recoil with a lighter frame? OK, I caved on this one, but I still like metal framed guns, this might change with time, we'll see and in all honesty, I find that the XDM handles recoil better than the HP...
    • Capacity of 13 rounds or more. Got that plus 6 more, life is good
    • Consistent trigger, either DAO striker fired, DAK, LEM, or Single Action Only. NO DA/SA. This was to try and maintain some consistency with my current carry guns. No need to try and reinvent the wheel so to speak. The XD line IS a single action gun, the pulling of the trigger releases the striker, non of this partially cocked garbage...
    • Comfortable grip. It's not bad, I've felt worse, and if I can ever get the roll pin out to change the back strap I might like it even more.
    • Cost of magazines. Cost is $30 from Springfield, a good 1911 mag from Wilson Combat or Tripp Research costs almost that and there's a rebate for two free mags from SA for the XDs.
    • Holster availability. I was hesitant at first, but during the time between the release of the 40 an the 9, the holster makers caught up and I found a couple I liked.

Where I usually carried one or two spare mags with the 1911 for a total of 25 rounds, I can now carry a total of 58 if I have two spares and a total of 39 if I only carry one spare mag, even if I carry the gun with a topped off mag, that's sill 20 rounds which is over twice that of a 1911, while I could carry spare 10rd mags as reloads, I didn't like how long they were.

So that's why I switched from the 1911, not saying that everyone should shelf their 1911s and run out and buy something else as I will probably still carry mine from time to time, as well as my .380s and my HK P7, but I think it is worth thinking about and looking into.

Any questions?
    Last edited by jdlv4_0; January 14th, 2009 at 11:31 AM.
    "We shoot to stop. ... Unfortunately, death can be a byproduct."

(Delaware County)

when I shot the xd-m in .40 it felt like my old generation xd, to be honest....didn't feel any different....
    Peace, Prosperity, and Liberty

fiddled with one at jim hakes in wrightsville. nice toy. ill wait for the .45 though...
    This Space For Rent

Quote Originally Posted by Seventy4Blazer View Post
    fiddled with one at jim hakes in wrightsville. nice toy. ill wait for the .45 though...
    I wish they'd make a sub-compact .45

I have a XD9, my GF want's a 9mm so we'll probably pick one up soon.
    Honesta Mors Turpi Vita Potior ~ 3%

(York County)

I have one in 40 , it has become my favorite handgun ....effing love the thing

(Bedford County)

Quote Originally Posted by jdlv4_0 View Post

Any questions?

LOL , No sir , no questions at all , I do believe you've answered
    every single one and then some !

I've gotta say that that was one hell of a review , you should offer that
    one to a gun mag , I'm sure they would snatch that up !

Thank you very much
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]"

(Bedford County)

Quote Originally Posted by jdlv4_0 View Post

Any questions?

Almost forgot , rep sent , thanks again ....
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]"

Quote Originally Posted by SilentRage View Post
    LOL , No sir , no questions at all , I do believe you've answered
    every single one and then some !

I've gotta say that that was one hell of a review , you should offer that
    one to a gun mag , I'm sure they would snatch that up !

Thank you very much
    You're welcome.

I'm to honest to write for a gun mag, they'd get pissed if I told them that "X" or "Y" sucks.

Well that and it almost kills me to write posts that long.
    "We shoot to stop. ... Unfortunately, death can be a byproduct."