Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    (Lancaster County)

Default Question about 9mm ammo

Earlier I was at Walmart and took notice they actually have pistol ammo for 9mm. They have Winchester 115gr box of 50 for 10$ it just says 9mm Luger. Beside that they have 115 gr box of 100 for $19 but it says 9mm luger, Target/Range. Is there a difference between these two besides packaging? I don't want to get into a debate with JHP vs FMJ's,cause for the price I can't go wrong. The guy at walmart said the only difference is the packaging which is the box of 100 is loosely packed, where the box of 50 have holes to sit in, in the box. I was going to get American Eagle 115gr fmj, but they are bit more expensive, and I've have to go out of my way to get them, where I can just go to walmart and buy a few boxes of these.

Here are the two boxes.

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Question about 9mm ammo

For plniking or target shooting, same-same, unless you want to save a buck.
    Toujours prêt

(Chester County)

I'm all kinds of confused. What's different about the boxes, other than the words 100 Round Value Pack? Both say 9mm Luger, both FMJ, both 115 gr, both made in USA, both say Target/Range, both WWB.

Wait, is this a test of some kind?

(York County)

yeh they do both say the same thing

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by str8shooter View Post
    I'm all kinds of confused. What's different about the boxes, other than the words 100 Round Value Pack? Both say 9mm Luger, both FMJ, both 115 gr, both made in USA, both say Target/Range, both WWB.

Wait, is this a test of some kind?
    Nm, I feel like an ass now, I linked the wrong imagine and figured it out. I was confusing the box of 50 fmj's with the box of 50 of JHP's.
    I messed up the topic to because I got confused, It's been a really long day with only three hours of sleep. Sorry guys!

While we're on this topic though, has anyone had any problems with the WWB for just going to the range, do they have a history of jams or anything?
    Last edited by The Unknown 1087; January 13th, 2009 at 04:30 PM.

(Monroe County)

Theyre both the same. Actually the 50 box is slightly more expensive than 10 dollars. so if you were to buy 2 boxes of 50, you would end up paying around 22 dollars. Conversly you could buy the 100 round "value pak" for 19.97 or whatever it is and only pay just over 20. You're really only saving 2 or 3 bucks but I guess over the course of a few months thats another 100 box.

but honestly, who's going to put aside that small amount of money?

and personally I like the 50 box myself, theyre kept in order in a little tray holding each individual round and its alot less of a hassle. Last time I bothered with the value pack I went to sit down in my car and the bag dropped containing 200 rounds and they went all over the passenger floor...

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by Dane View Post

They have Winchester 115gr box of 50 for 10$ it just says 9mm Luger.

Beside that they have 115 gr box of 100 for $19 but it says 9mm luger, Target/Range.

Actually if you look closely at the 50 round box in the lower left hand corner (just below the target crosshairs), it also has "TARGET/RANGE" printed in smaller letters than on the 100 round box.
    Vortex

"The United States is a nation of laws, . . . . badly written and randomly enforced." - generally attributed to Frank Zappa

(Northampton County)

Tossed 200 of those in .40sw through my PX4 this weekend and quiet a few through a 9mm my friend had with. Not one issue all day. The one guy shoots only that ammo at the range.
    Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.JFK

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by jcabin View Post
    Theyre both the same. Actually the 50 box is slightly more expensive than 10 dollars. so if you were to buy 2 boxes of 50, you would end up paying around 22 dollars. Conversly you could buy the 100 round "value pak" for 19.97 or whatever it is and only pay just over 20. You're really only saving 2 or 3 bucks but I guess over the course of a few months thats another 100 box.

but honestly, who's going to put aside that small amount of money?

and personally I like the 50 box myself, theyre kept in order in a little tray holding each individual round and its alot less of a hassle. Last time I bothered with the value pack I went to sit down in my car and the bag dropped containing 200 rounds and they went all over the passenger floor...
    Yeah true, I get what you mean. Yeah I found that out about the little tray too, its nice.

Quote Originally Posted by Vortex View Post
    Actually if you look closely at the 50 round box in the lower left hand corner (just below the target crosshairs), it also has "TARGET/RANGE" printed in smaller letters than on the 100 round box.
    Yeah it was a mix up on my end

Quote Originally Posted by terrible1 View Post
    Tossed 200 of those in .40sw through my PX4 this weekend and quiet a few through a 9mm my friend had with. Not one issue all day. The one guy shoots only that ammo at the range.
    Sounds good then!

(Chester County)

Nm, I feel like an ass now, I linked the wrong imagine and figured it out. I was confusing the box of 50 fmj's with the box of 50 of JHP's.
    I messed up the topic to because I got confused, It's been a really long day with only three hours of sleep. Sorry guys!
    No worries, it's been known to happen before, and will happen again.

While we're on this topic though, has anyone had any problems with the WWB for just going to the range, do they have a history of jams or anything?
    If I plan on shooting a couple hundred rounds of the same caliber during a range session, I go for WWB. I've heard it's a dirtier ammo, and when I'm shooting stainless steel, I can see that it does get blacker quicker, but it has never affected performance and cleans up as easy as any other ammo I've shot.

<rumor>
    I've also heard that some ranges won't let you use it and have a variety of reasons why, but I think the most plausible reason is that in all calibers it's generally the least expensive ammo you can walk into a store and buy, so range owners make up excuses for not allowing it so when people walk in with it, they have to buy the range's ammo instead of shoooting their own.
    </rumor>

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast