Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Chester County)

Default Soda blasting setup?

I want to get into soda blasting but do not want to spend more than 200 total if possible. My question is, what exactly do I need to do this? I found this unit on harbor freight http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=65902 but I do not know what else I need. I assume a small compressor? Is common washing soda from acme ok? Its important to note that I do not mind how long it takes and all of my projects are small scale (tools, rifles, pistols, etc.) no cars or anything big like that. Anyone have info on what I need specifically? Thanks.
    Believe those who are seeking the truth; doubt those who find it.

Default Re: Soda blasting setup?

the size of the compressor all depends on what you want to blast. small things will be ok for a small compressor, but if you are talking about doing cars and other large items, I would suggest a large compressor somewhere in the 100 gallon mark. the reason being is you will burn the smaller compressor up in no time on large items.

You'll need a compressor that will deliver and maintain 65 psi or higher.
    Buy actual blasting soda in a bucket, you'll go broke trying to use food grade.
    And wear a blasting hood, soda isn't as bad as sand but it still ends up everywhere!

(Chester County)

OK. So....do I need a gun for it and/or media hopper? I'm curious about how the process works. Would the compressor fill an air reservoir in that harbor freight unit and then you release it via a gun---or does the compressor constantly keep pressure in the tank?

I am looking to buy, so I am very curious as to what exactly and specifically I must purchase to have a complete setup. Any info greatly appreciated.

(Lycoming County)

check out eastwoodco.com you will find every thing you need to know there

(Beaver County)

Blasting, in quantity, requires lots of air. There are few air-powered jobs that require more. The compressor should have as large a tank as you can reasonably afford, and be able to produce enough air to keep your media moving. I have a 25-gallon compressor, and I have to stop and let it catch up every few minutes. If you go any smaller than that (check the CFM@PSI rating on your intended compressor) you'll be spending more time waiting than blasting.
    Kevin Singleton, Potawatomi - {ZRT - Sector 4}

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by kevindsingleton View Post
    Blasting, in quantity, requires lots of air. There are few air-powered jobs that require more. The compressor should have as large a tank as you can reasonably afford, and be able to produce enough air to keep your media moving. I have a 25-gallon compressor, and I have to stop and let it catch up every few minutes. If you go any smaller than that (check the CFM@PSI rating on your intended compressor) you'll be spending more time waiting than blasting.
    Is there a store that normally carries these things. Buying online gets you with the shipping.

(Beaver County)

I don't know about blasting soda, but you can get compressors at any of the big home centers, Fastenal, ACE, Harbor Freight, or Sears. The blasting cabinet and tools can be purchased at Harbor Freight, but will be of typical Chinese quality, and may be difficult to get serviced or to find replacement parts. You could get your cabinet from HF, and replace the moving parts with better equipment from another supplier, when time and money permit.

I buy blasting media from Northern Tool, Enco, McMaster-Carr, J&L, MSC and other online suppliers. Grainger probably has something to offer, here, and maybe even Tractor Supply. Another good source might be Grizzly.

Enco almost always has some sort of free shipping offer, if you can find the coupon code. Google usually turns that up, quickly, and I never have trouble making up the minimum order amount from Enco.

(Chester County)

I have a source for a cabinet, DIY job of course. What else exactly do I need? I like the units where the gun sucks up media from a bucket where it is housed rather than the hopper on the gun.

So I need:
    a compressor
    storage tank for air
    gun
    cabinet
    media

anything else?

(Beaver County)

If you build your cabinet so that the bottom slopes to a funnel, you can recover the media for re-use. I use a shop vac to suck up any particulates. Put a dryer (or, at least, a water separator) on your air line to keep moisture out of the gun, so it doesn't clog too bad.

I guess the only other things you'll need are eye protection, respirators, and workpieces!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast