Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default Carry your spare mags!

Who here doesn't carry Spare mags?

You have a 52% chance of getting attacked by multiple assailants, carrying a handgun for defense and no spare mags is a huge mistake. Just grab one of your mags and throw it in a pocket, or in a belt pouch, just be sure to carry it. It might add a little extra weight, but if you're attacked by 1, 2, or even 3 guys, and you run through your first mag, you'll be glad that I bitched at you to carry your extra mag.

Remember: F.A.S.T.

Fight - Shoot the guy(s) that's trying to hurt you.

Assess - Do you need to shoot him again?

Scan - Scan 360 degrees around you for additional threats.

Tac-Load - Reload your gun, incase you have to fight again.

(Jefferson County)

Default Re: Carry your spare mags!

Most of the time, I only carry whats loaded in the firearm. Occasionally I'll have a spare mag or New York reload with me. Only though when a threat potential is high like visiting unknown areas or places known for its high violent crime rate.

I dont buy into the statistics at all, they are padded by both sides for either's agenda. If 10 violent attacks per 100,000 people on average happen where the use of force would be justified, then with the 52% chance of multiple aggressors is only 5 in 100,000. Odds are well in my favor that I'll be one of the 99,990 or 99,995 people that weren't attacked.

The numbers of people who are attacked by a single or multiple aggressors is only a minute fraction of those who lawfully carry. Most people go abouts their lives without such an event. When most attacks do occur, its over in about 1-5 shots from either or combined sides before someone retreats or the other is dead/incapacitated.

If I carry my derringer and I'm never attacked during my life, then the quantity of ammo was more than enough to handle the situation.

(Delaware County)

I carry a P-11 with only what's in the gun. Everyone has choices to make, I've made mine.

(Westmoreland County)

I just carry with 10 rounds of cor-bon SD ammo. Maybe if I knew I was headed into a crappy area I would throw another mag in my pocket but for normal carry it just doesn't fit my lifestyle.
    I own guns!

(Cambria County)

Since most of the time I find myself carrying my snubbie 38 in the front pants pocket in a pocket holster, and since it only has 5 shot capacity. I do throw a Bianchi Speed Strip in my other pocket with another 5 rounds.
    The American Revolution would never have happened with gun control....
    The day they want my guns, they'll have to bring theirs!!!
    Proud to be One of the 3%

(Allegheny County)

i see your logic jmateer, and it fits some people

i figure that whatever situation i'm in, either to drop assailant(s) or buy myself time to flee, if 16 rounds wont do it, then neither will 31 or 46.

of course i might be wrong, but ive made the choice to chance it.

(Chester County)

I carry 21 rounds. 7 in the gun and 2 mags. Colt officers acp. If I carry a snub. I carry 2 speed loaders and loaded gun 15 rounds. There is nothing worse then haveing a gun and no bullets. If I ever get my glock 26 I will carry 1 10 round mag and a glock 17 mag in my pocket to make 27 rounds

(Perry County)

Currently, I carry just what is in the pistol...15 rounds. I'm still looking for a good holster for my FNP-9M, but not too many holster manufacturers make one for it. Once I find that holster, I'll decide on my final carry configuation, which WILL include one reload.

Dave G.
    Dave G.

"Gun control has not worked in D.C. The only people who have guns are criminals. We have the strictest gun laws in the nation and one of the highest murder rates. It's quicker to pull your Smith & Wesson than to dial 911 if you're being robbed."

-Lieutenant Lowell Duckett, Special Assistant to DC Police Chief; President, Black Police Caucus, The Washington Post, March 22, 1996

FN Herstal FNP-9M 9mm compact
    Taurus model 85 .38 special

(Philadelphia County)

We must also note that the most common cause of failure in autoloaders is magazine failure. It's good policy to carry at least 1 spare. I carry 2 spare mags and one spare gun.

Furthermore, the way i figure it, either the fight will be over in a few rounds or everyone finds cover and you can never have enough ammo.
    Last edited by MarcS; April 4th, 2007 at 12:03 PM.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by MarcS View Post
    We must also not that the most common cause of failure in autoloaders is magazine failure. It's good policy to carry at least 1 spare. I carry 2 spare mags and one spare gun.

Furthermore, the way i figure it, either the fight will be over in a few rounds or everyone finds cover and you can never have enough ammo.
    I was waiting for someone to mention that.
    Most of us think "capacity" before we consider the possibility of the need to quickly replace the magazine due to a failure.
    I learnt' me that in sum book reedin' I did once.

I currently don't carry a spare but I've started looking for (and found) some clip on mag holders. It really isn't a bad idea.
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast