Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Lancaster County)

Default I think I made a mistake on a Gunbroker purchase

So I am asking for help or enlightenment. I made a really low bid ($35.00) for a threaded barrel without asking about the threads. Well I won with that bid 4 days later and I keep asking the guy if that is the same as the standard threading 1/2x24 etc.

Can anyone here set me straight? Can I get a suppressor to fit this threading?
    --------------------
    Wayne

"When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag, carrying a cross." Sinclair Lewis 1935
    ---------------

(Delaware County)

Default Re: I think I made a mistake on a Gunbroker purchase

Seems pretty simple. You already bought it. Pay the man and when you receive your barrel, measure the threads.

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by Headhunter 13 View Post
    So I am asking for help or enlightenment. I made a really low bid ($35.00) for a threaded barrel without asking about the threads. Well I won with that bid 4 days later and I keep asking the guy if that is the same as the standard threading 1/2x24 etc.

Can anyone here set me straight? Can I get a suppressor to fit this threading?
    Std. BBl thread is 1/2 x 28 not 1/2 x 24. Hope this helps

Rich. W.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by imashooter2 View Post
    Seems pretty simple. You already bought it. Pay the man and when you receive your barrel, measure the threads.
    +1

Buyer Beware. You entered into a contract.
    ==============
    “If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquillity of servitude than the animating contest of freedom, — go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen!”
    ~Samuel Adams

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it."
    ~Thomas Jefferson, 1791

(Westmoreland County)

Is it an AR barrel? Because if so it's most likely going to be 1/2-28
    I own guns!

(Erie County)

If its for an AR it will be what everyone has said. Even if it were for a .22lr can it is the same thread. More likely than not it will be whatever thread you want, at least if its common. There isn't much point for irregular threads because they would serve no purpose.

(Lebanon County)

If it turns out to be what you want/need, great. If not, put it up for sale with a complete and accurate description, chances are that you'll get back more than you paid for it. I've passed on a lot of auctions for things that I thought I want just because the description wasn't specific enough. On the other hand, I've put in low bids and bought a few poorly described items simply because I was sure I could sell them at a profit with a description that wouldn't keep potential bidders wondering.
    Just my 2 cents.

(Montgomery County)

most common old thread for 22 cans was 1/2x20, if its an AR barrel in 223, it should be 1/2x28, if in 9mm it will likely be 1/2x36.

be aware that most AR barrels do not have the threads perfect for a flat shoulder for a can to index on, unless the threads go all the way to the shoulder in the same diameter, instead of 'running out" like most colt abd bushmaster barrels, have the barrel threads touched up by a gunsmith to fix this.

you can see it in this photo on a factory 11.5" barrel by bushmaster, the threads dont go to the shoulder, as the barrel is made to take a flashhider and a washer (NEVER use a washer with a can, it may not index right, and cause baffle or endcap hits.)

my can is a 2 point mount that works without having the threads continue to the shoulder completely.

"Oderint Dum Metuant" - BMFH

"Tact is for people not witty enough to use sarcasm"

Note: any whingeing crazy that hits my PM inbox will be deleted without reply

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by LorDiego01 View Post
    +1

Buyer Beware. You entered into a contract.
    I never said I was not going to pay the man but thanks for the non help. For those that were trying to help with information
    Last edited by Headhunter 13; April 4th, 2007 at 09:15 AM.
    --------------------
    Wayne

"When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag, carrying a cross." Sinclair Lewis 1935
    ---------------

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by Headhunter 13 View Post
    I never said I was not going to pay the man but thanks for the non help. For those that were trying to help with information
    Just trying to cover all bases, dude. Don't make it personal.
    ==============
    “If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquillity of servitude than the animating contest of freedom, — go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen!”
    ~Samuel Adams

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it."
    ~Thomas Jefferson, 1791

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast