Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Lawrence County)

Thumbs up winchester 120 12 gauge

came accross a win mod 120 in 12 gauge for 175 $. before i decide to get it was wondering about the gun . was thinking about making home defense or combat shotgun and was wondering if this shotgun can be done up this way . what barrels fit and what kind of stocks or grips can be had for it what about cost would it be cheaper this way way or just buy a mossberg already done up in the guise i'm looking for thank you

(Bedford County)

Default Re: winchester 120 12 gauge

The 120/1200/1300 shotguns are really good pumpers.

But if you are looking for a tactical style shotgun with synthetic stock set and extended tube, there is no way you could make the 120 do the job cheaper than buying a Mossberg already set up from the factory.

If your idea of a home defense shotgun is the factory 120 the way it is...you are good to go. But if you want a stock set, new barrel and extended tube...I would buy a Remington or Mossberg.

(Delaware County)

I have a 120...and decided to turn it into a HD gun. After looking for some time at barrels and such...I decided to have the barrel shortened by a local gunsmith to 19". I will probably add some Hi-Viz sights...but that's about it.

Barrels are expensive and Buckmark is right...by the time you purchase the 120 and make the modifications...you could easily busy a Mossberg for probably less money.

I have yet to get the barrel shortened...and I was really tempted the other day when my local gun shop had a Remington 1100 tactical...a police trade-in for $300. They also had a really nice older model 870 with an 18.5" barrel for $350.

I am still thinking things over....

Good luck.

(Lawrence County)

Thumbs up Re: winchester 120 12 gauge

thanks for the info. kind of figured the mossy or remington would be way to go even checked out mav 88 and seen what they cost brand new with extended tube already on . get one of those and install ar style stock would be a lot cheaper than the win 120 thanks again.
    dale

(Montgomery County)

I picked up a 120 Ranger from member "gutlucky" a few months ago, and I love it, but I do wish I could find a spare barrel without paying more than I did for the gun.
    Honestly the Mossy 500 gets more use, since I have a 18''smooth bore, and a rifled slug barrel for it, but I think the 120 is gonna be my new bird gun.
    For accessories,and spare parts, the Mossy 500 or Rem 870 would be easier to outfit.
    Best of luck whichever way you go.

(Delaware County)

Thumbs up Re: winchester 120 12 gauge

Choate has extended barrels for them for barrel lengths up to 28". why not forego the shortened barrel and go with the capability to carry 10 rounds for $50 plus shipping?

http://www.riflestock.com/catalog_pa...7&NewProduct=0

(Delaware County)

That's something to think about....

I just thought trying to move around my house with a 28" barrel could be difficult...particularly in a moment of "danger."

(Lawrence County)

was over at local gun shop this morning snooping around and checked out their hd shotties . had a cpl mossy and some rem 870s i found that comparing the rem with mossy in same design rem was cheaper. but all were in 300 to 350 range. maverick 88 was only cpl dollars cheaper, only real advantage over mossy 500 was trigger guard mounted safety versus top tang mounted safety on 500 wich was clumsy to reach with a pistol grip. figuered up cost of the win 120 at 175$ another 25 for heat shield 50 to 75 $ stock set and 100$ roughly for barrel and still have a used shotgun versus a new shotty already done up that way for that amount or just a few dollars more. guess i'll just wait till i can swing new gun and go with new gun thanks for the input

(Delaware County)

Talking Re: winchester 120 12 gauge

Quote Originally Posted by Adenn1 View Post
    That's something to think about....

I just thought trying to move around my house with a 28" barrel could be difficult...particularly in a moment of "danger."
    Take a dry run with what you have. See if 10 inches is going to make a difference. I think you'll find it won't.

An extra 10" could actually be an advantage in reach. A shotgun doesn't have to be fired to break bones, especially ribs, and even better with a "breacher" like this one...
    Attached Images Attached Images