Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Monroe County)

Default Tax Services/Firearm exemptions?

I was considering taking my tax papers to a commercial accounting company such as HR Block this go around. Does anyone have any experience with these types of places or should I stick to doing it myself or a private accountant?

Also, I was wondering if, because I heard somewhere, buying firearms/long guns for self-protection or carry by a LTCF holder would be a write off. Also ammo and maintenance could be written off as well. Any truth to this? I still have my receipts for my gun purchases locked away in a safe at the bank.

Default Re: Tax Services/Firearm exemptions?

Quote Originally Posted by jcabin View Post
    I was considering taking my tax papers to a commercial accounting company such as HR Block this go around. Does anyone have any experience with these types of places or should I stick to doing it myself or a private accountant?
    IMHO, if you're going to spring for tax preparation, see an actual accountant. You'll get a higher level of service and a professional with a deeper understanding of the tax code and its ramifications. You'll also start a relationship with an individual/firm who you can call with tax questions throughout the year. Additionally, I believe that tax preparation fees are tax deductible. Please confirm that with a tax professional.

Regarding your question concerning firearms and their deductibility, I'll give you the same answer I give other people: No matter what information you get here, always consult a tax professional for qualified tax advice. "I heard it on an internet forum!" isn't going to make an IRS Auditor happy. I also believe you can contact the IRS to ask questions. If you choose to contact the IRS directly, here's how to do it. Myself, personally, I'd prefer to speak to a tax professional than the IRS, but to each their own.
    Last edited by FNG19; January 11th, 2009 at 01:26 AM.

(Lehigh County)

Now if you were self-employed with say a retail store, or as an insurance agent handling lots of cash, then possibly the "security tool" would be a deduction along with training classes and practice ammo.

I am not a tax attorney, etc., etc., etc.
    Veritas Vos Liberat

do not use turbo tax or HR block.......
    FJB

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by bogey1 View Post
    do not use turbo tax or HR block.......

Because....?
    Veritas Vos Liberat

(Susquehanna County)

OH SHIT another way to track your guns

Quote Originally Posted by LastManOut View Post
    Because....?
    you wont get the deductions that you would using a cpa. dont ask me why im not a cpa but i have friends that have used turbo/hrb and now use cpa's and are getting back a much higher return. all i know is my cpa is very good, he know all the laws, former infernal revenue service employee, has a ph.D. M.S. and practices in all 50 states. the guy knows his stuff.
    FJB

(Lehigh County)

When I decided to use tax software instead of a cpa back in 1985, I read an article in Money magazine where the author would take a fictious family with two jobs, house, IRA's etc. etc and submit their tax return to 50 different tax preparation entities around the country. They submitted it to cpa's, tax prep only businesses, mom & pop shops and mega-bucks national shops.

The bottom line is NONE of them got it 100% correct. The one mom & pop shop was the closest with only missing the income from sthe sale of some U.S. E Bonds. One of the mega-firms missed by thousands. The tax prep software back in 1984 or maybe '85 (Tax Master for DOS I think) was in the top tier of accuracy.
    Veritas Vos Liberat

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by jcabin View Post

Also, I was wondering if, because I heard somewhere, buying firearms/long guns for self-protection or carry by a LTCF holder would be a write off. Also ammo and maintenance could be written off as well. Any truth to this? I still have my receipts for my gun purchases locked away in a safe at the bank.
    For those who are do it yourselfers note that the prices for Taxcut and TurboTax have gone up with new restrictions.

I am going this route this year: http://www.taxact.com/

Its FREE for one Federal return and less than $20 for unlimited Federal and a single state forms. I downloaded it and am sufficiently impressed. I decided not to pay for the state form since Pa. is so simple, I'll just do it by hand.

IANAA (IANA A= accountant) but firearms and associated equipment and supplies would not be deductible unless it can be justified as a business expense (armored car, armed bodyguard, etc)

i love being single and having only a ROth ira at this time of year... my taxes are VERY simple... lol
    This Space For Rent

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast