Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Westmoreland County)

Default Getting Started in Reloading (again)

I used to reload (alot). Got away from shooting for a while and getting back into it. Over the years, also got rid of my reloading stuff, and now must start from scratch. Will be primarily loading 5.56, 7.62, and 9mm, but some .357, .44, and .45 acp. Looking for recommendations for a book, press (would want a progressive unless super expensive), dies, scale, etc. Want decent stuff - not for making match ammunition, but reliable ammo relatively quickly. Again, I'm starting from scratch. Does someone make a quality starter kit, or are most of the kits lower end stuff?

(Berks County)

Default Re: Getting Started in Reloading (again)

For a inexpensive progressive press look at the Lee Loadmaster or the PRO1000. Go to MidwayUSA's website and look around. The Loadmaster is under 250.00. For a book I would suggest the book Modern reloading by Richard Lee. It has a lot of use full info, but decide what brand of bullet you want to use and get a load book from that company. Hornady makes a nice book with lots of differrent bullet selections in it.
    The truth shall set you free.

They can have my guns when they pry them from my cold dead hands

I can not wait until NJ sinks in the ocean and PA has ocean front property

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by bert304 View Post
    For a inexpensive progressive press look at the Lee Loadmaster or the PRO1000. Go to MidwayUSA's website and look around. The Loadmaster is under 250.00. For a book I would suggest the book Modern reloading by Richard Lee. It has a lot of use full info, but decide what brand of bullet you want to use and get a load book from that company. Hornady makes a nice book with lots of different bullet selections in it.
    I'd be getting bulk bullets. Wouldn't Hornandy, Sierra, etc. manual give me the basic info if I just match up the bullet weight? As far as Lee presses, I used to use one, but for pistol only. Always seemed flimsy to me. Does the PRO1000 do OK for rifle calibers even w/ full length resize?

(Allegheny County)

if you want to load rifle and pistol, you first have to ask yourself a question

Do you want progressive or single stage? if your going to shoot pistol I would recommend progressive - a little more up front cost but a huge time saver in the long run.

If you want to go progressive I would recommend only a couple - the projector by hornady or the dillon 550 or 650. due to the flimsy parts (in my opinion) and other reasons I would not recommend the lee. the main reason being (and I havent checked them out in years so they may have changed the design) the lack of a steel shield around the primer tube. others have used them with excellent results but I wont.

If you want to go single stage - look at a good O press such as the rcbs rock chucker.

just my opinion.

Bob

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by MMH View Post
    I'd be getting bulk bullets. Wouldn't Hornandy, Sierra, etc. manual give me the basic info if I just match up the bullet weight? As far as Lee presses, I used to use one, but for pistol only. Always seemed flimsy to me. Does the PRO1000 do OK for rifle calibers even w/ full length resize?
    I would not just do that unless the Manufacture said it was ok. Ask the Company who makes the bulk bullets for a load chart. All reloading books have basic info on reloading, Modern reloading goes in a little deeper in to the subject. But you can just about any Load book and get the basic info. The Pro1000 is made really to load pistol rounds( I saw on Midways website they do have a Pro1000 in .223 caliber). It has to do with clearance if I remenber correctly. I do not think they are flimsy unless you are talking about the challenger press, I do not care for that one. I have use the Loadmaster and it is nice and heavy. The Pro1000 is strong but light weight. For a good single stage press I like the Lee Classic cast ,it is heavy. I do believe it is made from recycled railroad tracks
    The truth shall set you free.

They can have my guns when they pry them from my cold dead hands

I can not wait until NJ sinks in the ocean and PA has ocean front property

(Pike County)

Quote Originally Posted by DieselDeereGuy View Post
    the main reason being (and I havent checked them out in years so they may have changed the design) the lack of a steel shield around the primer tube.
    Bob
    I've got both Lee and Lyman presses. Lee's don't use a primer tube, they use a primer tray. No stacking of primers at any stage of the operation.

All things being equal, I'm not unhappy with my Lee Pro1000 but I'm not exactly an evangelist for the product either. I never did get the primer feed to work reliably. Once you are hand priming any progressive will churn out the ammo reliably, but you lose time in brass prep. It's a compromise I've been working with for years. I did buy the press second hand so I guess caveat emptor. I won't buy another progressive that does not have five stations, as I crimp and seat in separate operations. I'd also like to have a dedicated powder check to speed things up. That narrows the field but YMMV of course.

I will probably sell off the Pro1000 and go with the Loadmaster in the very near future. It's something I've been considering for a while! I'll do a review and see if I can get the priming system to work when I do ...

--RobW