Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Glock 29

(Delaware County)

Default Glock 29

I'm just looking for some first hand impressions/reviews from folks who own and, more specifically, carry the Glock 29. Thanks!
    "Things have taken a turn for the surreal." - Capt. John Miller

(Cambria County)

Default Re: Glock 29

I just got one a couple months ago from a fellow member and I can't say anything bad about it.Well except grip size.If you like a Glock,the 29 is the best choice for CCW.The 10mm round is the most powerful defensive and is still very controlable(no less then the great 45acp)No you won't have the fastest spilts or double taps,but if you hit the first time and use enough gun you don't have to shoot them twice.It small and still holds 10+1 and you can use the 15rd mag as spare.You can also get a 40cal barrel for practice and 357sig barrel for more choice.

(Chester County)

The 10mm isn't a cheap or easy round to shoot. It doesn't do a whole lot more than a 9mm +P will.

A hit is a hit, a miss is a miss.

With its tendency to overpenetrate, that's a liability in a gunfight, and you're suffering more recoil wth no additional energy transfer (tissue distruction) to your target when you have overpenetration.

The question becomes why 10mm? If you have a good reason, then the G29 is a good platform for it.

(Cambria County)

The 135gr bullet won't overpenetrate.Loads from Double Tap put it about 770ft/lbs.That would leave a hell of a wound channel.The highest rated 9mm I cuold find was around 500ft/lbs.Another reason is load selection.You can go from 135gr -200gr factory loads which will handle pretty much whatever you want.I use the 165gr for deer hunting(S&W 610 revolver not Glock)

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by DougX View Post
    The 135gr bullet won't overpenetrate.Loads from Double Tap put it about 770ft/lbs.That would leave a hell of a wound channel.The highest rated 9mm I cuold find was around 500ft/lbs.Another reason is load selection.You can go from 135gr -200gr factory loads which will handle pretty much whatever you want.I use the 165gr for deer hunting(S&W 610 revolver not Glock)
    Okay, true. My question then becomes: what is the difference in downrange performance between the 10mm 135gr load on the market, and say something like this....
    https://dakotaammo.net/shop/product_...products_id=52

Or this at "1420fps 605 ft/lbs from a 4.5"bbl."
    http://www.doubletapammo.com/php/cat...roducts_id=107

I personally, don't see a big enough increase in performance to justify purchasing a 10mm platform, and feeding it 10mm ammo all the time.

But that's me.

(Cambria County)

I don't understand what you're getting at.The 10mm out performs the 9mm and 40cal.It has no more felt recoil then the 40cal.

(Chester County)

I don't understand what you're getting at.The 10mm out performs the 9mm and 40cal.It has no more felt recoil then the 40cal.
    Let me rephrase...HOW does the 10mm do anything significantly better than the 9mm or .45acp, or .40S&W? What will the 10mm do, that the others will not? I'm not talking numbers on a chart, I'm talking downrange effects on bad people that need shooting.

Is that difference in capability, worth the $550 in a new gun, and $10 a box (or more) for each box of ammo that you will shoot through it, AND the larger sized weapon that you have to carry?

Glade Mill Lake, Cooperstown, Pennsylvania
    (Butler County)

I'm gonna have to go wth Synergy on this one.

Cheaper ammo = more trigger time. Get the .40 if you feel the need to carry a "big" round or get the 9mm if you want to practice more.

The best reason to own a 10mm is to brag to people you own a 10mm.

(Cambria County)

I guess we'll agree to disagree.You carry what you want,I'll do the same.I don't want to turn this into a caliber thread,buy the way I brag that I own 4.

(York County)

The OP ask a question and my answer is I love the 10mm. I carry a g20 most of the time an G29 for summer months. On the 29 you might want to do a Pierce grip extender when shooting full power loads, it helps to have your pinky on something rather than wrapped underneath.

Like everything, some people like it and some don't.....I've found that most people that don't have never shot a 10 and if so it probably wasn't a Glock.
    Look at all the specs and test you want but I chrony and wet pack all of my ammo and I know exactly what a round will do and what it won't. Nothing in a 9 or 45 will approach the channel a 10 creates and still function properly.
    Most 9mm+p+ will out penatrate a 10 but they won't stay together. They break up thru out the channel and when you start going thru layers of clothing and it changes even more.

For me the 10 is the perfect trade off.... a round heavier than a 9, lighter than a 45 with high velocity in a semi auto handgun that was designed for the 10mm (G20)

As for ammo prices....waahhhh! You want cheap shoot your .22. I shoot thousands of rounds of CCI and Remington 10mm (which is nothing but .40 pressures anyway) and then shoot full power Double taps for carry . I never understand how people spend 500+ for a gun, 100+ for good leather and kydex, maybe more $ to join a club or two and then complain that a box of ammo went up a few bucks!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast