Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Thread: CMP question

Where liberty is but a flickering flame in the distance., New Jersey

Default CMP question

Okay gang. I have a few questions about CMP. I can't find a club around me that isn't charging something like $150 to apply and will require more time than I have to give with a 10 month old at home.

Anyone in DelCo that is a member of a club that qualifies them to purchase from CMP? The only two things I need are an NRA membership and a club membership to be qualified. I have everything else. I am really looking to save up for an M1 and CMP seems to be the best place to pick one up from.

(Centre County)

Default Re: CMP question

IIRC, you can join the Garand Collectors Association www.thegca.org and that will make you eligible. Also, go to www.odcmp.com, this is the CMP web site. It will tell you EXACTLY what you need to do to be eligible to buy a Garand.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

I hadn't seen the GCA. I might be applying to the NRA and GCA soon.

Thanks a million!

(York County)

NRA membership is not a requirement, they don't even ask. You need an affiliated club membership and you have to satisfy the participation requirement.

Quote Originally Posted by danws2 View Post
    NRA membership is not a requirement, they don't even ask. You need an affiliated club membership and you have to satisfy the participation requirement.
    I thought I had seen the NRA membership as a requirement, but looking again I was wrong. What are the participation requirements? I couldn't find them for CMP.

(Lancaster County)

I believe that the CMP has a list of local clubs.

I know that Lancaster County Sportsmen's which is about 50 minutes from Delco (west delco) only charges $35 or so. It is a beautiful range too.
    He was one of God’s own prototypes—a high-powered mutant of some kind who was never even considered for mass production. He was too weird to live and too rare to die....

(Centre County)

Here's what you need to be eligible (from the CMP site):

Proof of U.S. Citizenship:
    You must provide a copy of a U.S. birth certificate, passport, proof of naturalization, or any official government document that shows birth in the U.S. or states citizenship as U.S.

Proof of Age:
    You must provide proof of age. Usually proof of citizenship also provides proof of age. In those cases where it may not, a driver’s license is sufficient.

Membership in CMP Affiliated Organization:
    You must provide a copy of your current membership card or other proof of membership. This requirement cannot be waived. The CMP currently has over 2,000 affiliated organizations located in many parts of the country.

Membership in many of these organizations costs $25.00 or less and can be accomplished online. A listing of affiliated organizations can be found by clicking on our Club Search web page at http://clubs.odcmp.com/cgi-bin/clubSearch.cgi. If you have any difficulty in locating a club, please contact the CMP at 256-835-8455 or by emailing CMP Customer Service. We will find one for you. In addition to shooting clubs, the CMP also has several special affiliates. Membership in these organizations satisfies our requirement for purchase. These special affiliates include: Congressionally chartered veterans' organizations such as the VFW, AL, DAV, MCL, etc. U.S. Military services (active or reserves), National Guard, to include retirees. Professional 501(c)3 law enforcement organizations and associations such as the FOP, NAPO, NSA, etc.

Note: Club membership IS required for purchase of rifles, parts, and ammunition.

Club membership is NOT required for instructional publications or videos or CMP memorabilia.

Marksmanship or other Firearms Related Activity:
    You must provide proof of participation in a marksmanship related activity or otherwise show familiarity with the safe handling of firearms and range procedures. Your marksmanship related activity does not have to be with highpower rifles; it can be with smallbore rifles, pistols, air guns or shotguns. Proof of marksmanship participation can be provided by documenting any of the following:

- Current or past military service.
    - Current or past law enforcement service
    - Participation in a rifle, pistol, air gun or shotgun competition (provide copy of results bulletin).
    - Completion of a marksmanship clinic that included live fire training (provide a copy of the certificate of completion or a statement from the instructor).
    - Distinguished, Instructor, or Coach status.
    - Concealed Carry License.
    - Firearms Owner Identification Cards that included live fire training.
    - FFL or C&R license.
    - Completion of a Hunter Safety Course that included live fire training.
    - Certification from range or club official or law enforcement officer witnessing shooting activity. A form for use in completing and certifying your range firing can be downloaded from the CMP web site at http://www.odcmp.com/forms/marksmanship.pdf

No proof of marksmanship required if over age 60. proof of club membership and citizenship required for all ages.
    NOTE: Proof of marksmanship activity is not required for purchase of ammunition, parts, publications or memorabilia.

Be Legally Eligible to Purchase a Firearm:
    The information you supply on your application will be submitted by the CMP to the FBI National Instant Criminal Check System (NICS) to verify you are not prohibited by Federal, State or Local law from acquiring or possessing a rifle. Your signature on the Purchaser Certification portion of the purchase application authorizes the CMP to initiate the NICS check and authorizes the FBI to inform CMP of the result. IMPORTANT: If your State or locality requires you to first obtain a license, permit, or Firearms Owner ID card in order to possess or receive a rifle, you must enclose a photocopy of your license, permit, or card with the application for purchase.

Order Form and Purchaser Certification and Agreement:
    Order forms and other required documents may be downloaded from http://www.odcmp.com/Forms/1orderform.pdf. For those customers who receive our hard-copy catalog, we recommend they make several copies of the blank form for use in placing future orders. Customers should complete both the Order Form and the Purchaser Certification and Agreement and sign it before a notary. Orders received without notarized signature will not be processed.

If you notice under the marksmanship requirements that your LTCF is one of the documents that can be used.

Membership in the GCA will fulfill the affiliated organization requirements.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

Quote Originally Posted by Xringshooter View Post
    IIRC, you can join the Garand Collectors Association www.thegca.org and that will make you eligible. Also, go to www.odcmp.com, this is the CMP web site. It will tell you EXACTLY what you need to do to be eligible to buy a Garand.
    Ditto, Ditto, Ditto -- It's also your Place to go for Garand Knowledge, When you join just be sure to check the box to allow them to release your club Membership info to the CMP...Then go get yourself a Garand.

~TJB~
    Recoil Happens