Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Dauphin County)

Post need help sks part id

i'm new to this sight. i have found it very helpful so far. here's my question. i have a chinese norinco sks. i have lost the U shaped piece that connects to the rear of the upper hand guard next to the hand guard catch. i believe this piece is called a hand guard ferrule. i have been unable to find one locally and will need to order one online. any help with the correct name of this part and or a place to order one would be greatly appreciated.

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: need help sks part id

Welcome to the forum!

This is the best I could do for you in the few minutes that I have:
    http://www.okiegunsmithshop.com/SKS_762X39.jpg
    (Click on image to enlarge)

There are a few SKS guys here that may be able to help.
    I have one, but don't know them inside and out.
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Lebanon County)

Welcome to PAFOA!

You're close enough to Lebanon to go to the gun show Saturday and Sunday. Some of the vendors who will be there are PAFOA members. There is currently a thread about the show, check it out here:
    http://forum.pafoa.org/gun-shows-111...n-10-11-a.html
    You might even post a question in that thread asking about the availability of SKS parts in general at the shows. Someone may chime in and say they'll be there with some.

I don't have a short temper, I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

(York County)

Welcome! You are correct, it is called a handguard ferrule. If you can't find one at that show, you can order one from Numrich: http://www.e-gunparts.com/product.as...ductSKU=490400

If you also need the pin: http://www.e-gunparts.com/product.as...ductSKU=490410 (you can probably find a suitable pin at a hardware store for a fraction of that price though)

(Dauphin County)

thanks for the info. you've all been a great help. that piece serves no functional purpose but i hate having to use a piece of tape on a very sound sks

(Lancaster County)

Trust me there is no part on the stock issued SKS that serves no functional purpose. (smile)

The purpose of that is to retain the pin that holds the hand guard in place.
    No doubt you lost yours as someone replaced the handguard and didn't pein the pin well enough. (my guess)

That part is very difficult to find these days. I do wish you luck in your search.
    Please feel free to visit a forum that I moderate:
    http://www.sksboards.com/smf/index.php

(Dauphin County)

let me rephrase. i know this piece serves the purpose you are talking about. i meant that the rifle is still functional with it removed and a piece of packing tape secures the upper hand guard instead of the hand guard ferrule. i am the only owner of this rifle since it was imported and i am the one who lost the part. i replaced the stock with a synthetic folding stock that was pinned not allowing it to be folded. i bought during the AWB. there is a pin that is near the pistol grip that i can punch in and allow the stock to fold. can i legally make this modification now. i don't intend to shoot the rifle with a folded stock. its not very practical for me. i have an ak74 thats still shorter than the sks folded. i would just like to have the option to do it if its legal. this rifle is my sks shooter. i have a russian sks in unissued condition thats my wall hanger. paid 80 bucks for it in the mid 90's.

(Allegheny County)

i have a russian sks in unissued condition thats my wall hanger. paid 80 bucks for it in the mid 90's.
    Any time you'd like to step on over to the "gun pics" section, I'll be waiting with a towel to wipe the drool from my chin.

I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Lancaster County)

You can make that folder functional now but you'll still have to observe the 922r compliance issue. AKA the 10 or less game.

Actually this might be a good time to do it. I suspect future restrictions possibly even more severe then the recent expired AWB.

The reason I say this is it would be a granfathered "conversion" or so most people think should a new AWB be put in place.
    Please feel free to visit a forum that I moderate:
    http://www.sksboards.com/smf/index.php