Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Thread: PPSH 41

Default PPSH 41

Ok this gun sounds too good to be true, $230 for the parts kit, 4 stick mags, 1 71 round drum all shooting the uber cheap 7.62x25 round. what gives, is it impossible to find the receivers or what? i would assume these would sell like hot cakes.

(Lehigh County)

Default Re: PPSH 41

I was interested in purchasing one myself until i read the last shotgun news. It had a whole article on what must be done to make it semi auto and it does not look easy. The man in the article said he purchased a SR-41 receiver from InterOrdnance out of Monroe, NC that was BATFE approved. I hope this helps, The article is in the volume 62 issue 36. Your better off purchasing one from atlantic arms, they are up to about 700-800 bucks since the spike in semi auto sale has gone up. I did find some info on the web as well talking about certain ones that were built that had mixed reviews about performance.
    Last edited by PROVANTAGE; January 7th, 2009 at 05:41 PM.

(Centre County)

Quote Originally Posted by T3h H4t View Post
    Ok this gun sounds too good to be true, $230 for the parts kit, 4 stick mags, 1 71 round drum all shooting the uber cheap 7.62x25 round. what gives, is it impossible to find the receivers or what? i would assume these would sell like hot cakes.
    where'd you find it for 230? sounds like a good deal to me too.

(Bucks County)

I was super interested in building a PPS43 kit. I found instructions here:

http://www.prexis.com/sten/homebuild...php?topic=76.0

There is a ton of work involved. You have to convert it to fire from the closed bolt position, so you have to modify the bolt. Some people use Remington FCG's, I've seen others use AK FCG's. This means you have to add a firing pin. You either have to weld the buttstock shut or remove it completely to make it a pistol, or lenghten the barrel to 16'' to make it a rifle and leave the buttstock. Other choice is to make it a SBR.

http://stenparts.com/Tubes___Misc/bo...es___misc.html

A source for receiver blanks I found in my search. Good luck if you go through with it, let us know what you wind up doing.

EDIT:
    I totally neglected to remember that PPSH 41's have full length wooden buttstocks, so the stock isn't an issue. I guess you still have to lengthen the barrel to 16'' though.

(Lehigh County)

the guy in the article used an ar-15 firing pin and modified it and also said that the bolt handle needed to be permanently welded in place. also firing control group used was a modified ak-47 us made firing control group. Wow maybe you should have this guy build you a ppsh-41
    Last edited by PROVANTAGE; January 7th, 2009 at 09:34 PM.

(Washington County)

For the parts kit, is the barrel cut? Also take a look at how the receiver is cut. If it's cut through the front trunion hole, you're going to have A LOT more work trying to put a receiver back together.

Also, you need to make ABSOLUTELY sure that ATF agrees that it's a legal semi-auto conversion. Just because it's closed bolt, doesn't mean it meets their requirements. It also has to be incapable of accepting the full auto bolt.

Vince
    www.bloomautomatic.com - Golf Ball Launchers for AR-15, SKS, FAL, and many others

www.bloomautomatic.com/lbsc - Long Branch Sportsman's Club, Long Branch, PA

(Bucks County)

I'd definitely do as much reading as possible. The concensus I got was "If you're going to get into constructing guns from kits, start with an AK."

AK's are supposed to be much easier. If you can construct an AK, then you may be able to constuct a PPS rifle as well.