Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Berks County)

Default Load development for a bolt action rifle?

Up to this point, all of my reloading has been for pistols and semi-auto rifles. In the near future, I will be buying a bolt action rifle in .223 or .308.

Now of course when I reload for the AR, the brass is full length sized every time. But, for a bolt gun, I plan on firing the brass once to fire form it to my chamber and then neck sizing it from then on forward.

The question is, should I wait until the cases have been fire formed and I start neck sizing them to bother starting with serious load development? Maybe load a batch of brass with just a start charge and fire it through the rifle once to fire form it, and then begin load development?

Any input from you bolt action guys reloading for accuracy would be much appreciated!

Thanks
    Dave

(Northampton County)

Default Re: Load development for a bolt action rifle?

As you know from my posts, Im still just starting to get into the reloading thing. But from what I have read, more than one source says that full length sizing for a semi auto isnt required and that full length resizing should be used for bolt action rifles. Like I said Im still just learning but thats what Ive been led to understand.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Warpt762x39 View Post
    As you know from my posts, Im still just starting to get into the reloading thing. But from what I have read, more than one source says that full length sizing for a semi auto isnt required and that full length resizing should be used for bolt action rifles. Like I said Im still just learning but thats what Ive been led to understand.
    That's the exact opposite of the truth. Full length sizing is required for semi-autos.

(Northampton County)

I tended to use 'new' brass for initial work on getting a load in the ball park. That way I could take a bunch of different very loads out on one trip and see what looked promising. Once I had something that looked like what I wanted, I could then reload it and fine tune it on my fire formed brass.

This is something that you really won't have to worry about that much since brass will only be new to you once.

You can neck size your brass from your bolt gun, as long as that is the only rifle you will be firing it from. Full length size it if it will be used in assorted bolt rifles of the same caliber. The reason is: not all rifles have the exact same chamber size. Full length size all semi-auto brass. And don't forget to trim it down, it stretches too.

(Franklin County)

Pretty much as Cyo says... I fire new brass with test loads, ID those which have potential, neck size and work on refining the better test loads. Sounds like you know this, but, after "X" number of neck sized reloads (usually 3-5), the shoulders on the cases will extend, so the cases will have to be fully sized again- either with a FL die, or a body die. Normal processes (e.g., trimming) also have to be followed.

There is a lot of debate re the benefits (or lack thereof) of necksizing. I necksize, but am not convinced it is beneficial for all rifles/chambers.