Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    (Philadelphia County)

Cool Applied for my LTCF in Philly yesterday

So I purchased my Glock 30 about 3 months ago, and went down to register for my LTCF at 10th and Spring Garden yesterday and as I was waiting to be fingerprinted, the officer handing out the permits was going over the "guidelines" of carrying. And she told each and every person, including myself, that it is illegal to carry your weapon in the open even with the LTCF. A few people contested and mentioned PA being an open carry state, and she gave them some flyer she had that apparently "explained in detail" the laws against open carrying.
    Unfortunatly I was not aware of her being incorrect until today when I logged into here and started reading everyone's posts. Glad I joined PAFOA and was correctly informed. lol

Now I play the waiting game for "8-10 weeks" for the arrival of my LTCF. Joy.

(Lancaster County)

Default Re: Applied for my LTCF in Philly yesterday

Congrats on going and applying! That sucks that lady is handing out BS info!!

8-10weeks? Wow, I cant imagine that, I was going nuts waiting for mine and it took 9 days. Best of luck to you!

Welcome to the forum. as you have probably already have seen Philadelphia does try to make up it's own laws. Did you get a copy of the pamphlet that they were handing out? I would just love to see that one, as there is no such law against open carry in PA. As far as the 8 to 10 week wait for your LTCF, that is what the also told me, but I received mine in 42 days. I did not receive my letter to come pick it up, but instead just showed up at their office to "inquire" about it and it was told they they were just going to mail my letter out that day. Anyway, I walked out of there with my LTCF that day.

(Philadelphia County)

Thanks

I didn't think to grab whatever it was she was giving to people, because I thought nothing of it, unfortunately.

I'll surely be counting the days and as soon as that 45th day hits, I'll be waiting at the door as they open it at 830am lol. And I'll be sure to grab a copy of her flyer to "better educate myself"...

This might be the pamphlet in question:

Instructions and Restrictions Upon Receipt of Permit
    Last edited by HiredGoon; January 6th, 2009 at 09:11 PM.

(Lancaster County)

From that link:

1. IMPORTANT: When in contact with a law enforcement officer, follow all instructions given. Police officers and other
    law enforcement personnel, as part of their official duties, may encounter you either on the street, inside a business
    or residence, or during a vehicle stop. The officer(s) are unaware that you may be armed. You should not make
    any sudden moves. You MUST inform the officer IMMEDIATELY, that you are armed and possess a valid permit to
    carry. Then follow the officer’s instructions explicitly.

Do you have to do that since its philly or is it just bad bs info? I go to philly (well right outside of it, and may venture into Philly sometimes). What's up with that?

(Cambria County)

I got a kick out of how they say its a privledge to carry , not a right?

Quote Originally Posted by Dane View Post
    From that link:

1. IMPORTANT: When in contact with a law enforcement officer, follow all instructions given. Police officers and other
    law enforcement personnel, as part of their official duties, may encounter you either on the street, inside a business
    or residence, or during a vehicle stop. The officer(s) are unaware that you may be armed. You should not make
    any sudden moves. You MUST inform the officer IMMEDIATELY, that you are armed and possess a valid permit to
    carry. Then follow the officer’s instructions explicitly.

Do you have to do that since its philly or is it just bad bs info? I go to philly (well right outside of it, and may venture into Philly sometimes). What's up with that?
    In PA, we are not legally required to inform a police officer that we are carrying a handgun. Philly can say what they like, but there is no legal requirement to inform.

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by HiredGoon View Post
    In PA, we are not legally required to inform a police officer that we are carrying a handgun. Philly can say what they like, but there is no legal requirement to inform.
    Thats what I thought, there isnt a duty to inform, but I didnt know since Philly is a "City of the first class".

(Indiana County)

2. You should be familiar with the safe handling, care and operation of your firearm. Read the manufacturer’s instructions and care guidelines. Also seek training by a competent instructor. Otherwise, you may represent a potential threat to yourself, your family, and your fellow citizens. The law does not require such training. Therefore, it is your responsibility to take the necessary steps to acquire it.
    Fourth sentence is gramatically incorrect.
    5. When carrying your firearm you MUST also have your License to Carry, failure to do so can result in arrest for violation of Pennsylvania Crime Code 6122 and revocation of your License to Carry.

Should state, "When carrying your firearm in Philadelphia, or, outside of Philadelphia, when carrying concealed ..."
    17. In the event you should move to a new address, you must notify the Gun Permit Unit of this change as soon as possible. This is needed to keep your information current. You do not need to have the license updated. If you desire to have your updated address on your permit there is a cost of $50.00 for this service.
    No such requirement exists supported by state law.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast