Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Thread: Transfer of AR

Default Transfer of AR

Hi,
    I have purchased a BM AR-15 for my brother as a present. We are both legal residents of Pennsylvania. Do we have to go to a gun dealer to make the transfer? As I understand, face-to-face, we don't need papers for rifles, but I'm never clear on assault weapon laws, where they fall (I believe they are generally classified as rifles, but sometimes have other rules associated with them).
    He is older than 18, under 21, I am older than 21. Both can own legally (clearly). Is there any paperwork I have to do, given that this is a present (which I marked on my purchase)? I appreciate any light you can shed. Good shooting,
    -Junkpile

Edit-To clarify my "we are both legal residents" contradicting my "Chicago, Illinois" tag, I live most of the time in Illinois, but my legal residence, drivers license, carry permit, and tax records are all PA.
    Last edited by junkpile; April 1st, 2007 at 11:47 PM. Reason: Chicago-PA resident clarification of status

(Erie County)

Default Re: Transfer of AR

1. I'm sorry you live in Chicago. Definately don't bring that toy there with their AWB.

2. Nothing different than a hunting rifle. Just give it to him and its his. We don't discriminate in PA, all rifles are equal

Thanks!
    And you're right, Chicago is one of the worst places I can think of, other than NY, NY or San Francisco when it comes to guns. No carry in state, no handguns in city, and registration up the wazoo. Tasers, batons, brass-knuckles are also disallowed. Soon they'll be banning all but saf-t scissors.
    Thanks again, good shooting,
    -Junkpile

(Centre County)

Why do people call AR-15's assault weapons. They are not! They are semi-automatic (unless you get a Peoples Republik of Kalifornia single shot), military style firearms, nothing more. The anti's love hearing legal firearms owners call these assault weapons. They say "See, even gun owners think they are assault rifles". Please, please, PLEASE do not call an AR-15 an assault rifle. Thank you.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

(Tioga County)

How about calling them EBR

Evil Black Rifle