Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Family member scared to death of firearms...

I have a family member who is terrified of firearms, will not go to the range even while sitting in the car....won't even look at them because they "terrify" her. There is no rhyme or reason for this, there is no past bad expirence with them. When even asked why...there is no reason why, but a blind irrational unfounded fear.

I've gone through all the motions, rationalizing, reasoning, explaining, example after example...nothing seems to work, its almost as though there is a brick wall regarding the issue..

any suggestions as i am at a loss as to what to do.
    Owner of EMac's Tactical - www.emacstactical.com

Where liberty is but a flickering flame in the distance., New Jersey

Default Re: Family member scared to death of firearms...

Have you tried hitting her?

But seriously, have you?

Really seriously though how old is she? It could be that this is just the cool thing to do. My younger brother's gf is like that too. I asked if she was equally terrified of knives (including steak knives) and she said yes. I asked if she was that afraid of cars and she said yes. So I had to try hitting her.

Well the last part is a lie, but she did go out and shoot a pistol last week. I think if you ask her to do some research and ask what has stopped every major genocide in the last two centuries, what was needed to ensure our very freedoms 234 years ago she might come to some sort of understanding.

(Perry County)

It is called "Hoplophobia". It is a "phobia" or "anxiety disorder" and may be treatable by a "shrink".
    We the people have not only the right but the responsibility to hang tyrants for treason.

Quote Originally Posted by adymond View Post
    Have you tried hitting her?

But seriously, have you?

Really seriously though how old is she? It could be that this is just the cool thing to do. My younger brother's gf is like that too. I asked if she was equally terrified of knives (including steak knives) and she said yes. I asked if she was that afraid of cars and she said yes. So I had to try hitting her.

Well the last part is a lie, but she did go out and shoot a pistol last week. I think if you ask her to do some research and ask what has stopped every major genocide in the last two centuries, what was needed to ensure our very freedoms 234 years ago she might come to some sort of understanding.
    I'm not going to hit my mother lol

(Jefferson County)

You can threaten to check her in a mental hospital or nursing home early.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515, SteveWag

Don't end up in my signature!

(Luzerne County)

Quote Originally Posted by Neo31rex31 View Post
    ...There is no rhyme or reason for this, there is no past bad expirence with them. When even asked why...there is no reason why, but a blind irrational unfounded fear.
    I understand the point your making but I think it important to realize that the above is not entirely accurate.

There is a reason for her fear. It is very like due at least in part to the negative stigma, misinformation and outright intentional and unintentionally propagated fear mongering of firearms through a number of influential channels including public schools, the media, hollywood and FTF conversations with other misinformed or brainwashed folks.

If you can narrow down in any way possible where the likely source of her fear may have been influenced the most can help you better counter it by discrediting the source. This of course is not required, but can be another tool to use while giving the correct info for her to re-evaluate her position.

Quote Originally Posted by Neo31rex31 View Post
    any suggestions as i am at a loss as to what to do.
    Don't give up.

Also, no disrespect intended, but perhaps your delivery is simply not going to work on her. Not necessarily your fault, what I mean is it is possible that she will simply never "get it" hearing your arguments. This could be for a number of reasons including relation, etc.. Point being, try some other methods of delivery. Books, websites, video.

I recommend the following two websites:
    corneredcat.com
    a-human-right.com

Innocents betrayed in a good video you could show her.

I recommend previewing any suggestions you get here because you know her and should consider how effective any suggestions will be before passing them along.
    Last edited by Pa. Patriot; January 6th, 2009 at 12:42 PM.

danbus wrote: ...Like I said before, I open carry because you don't, I fight for all my rights because
    you won't, I will not sit with my thumb up my bum and complain, because you will.
    Remember Meleanie

(Lackawanna County)

this person's fear sounds highly irrational; the only recourse i can think of is professional help. refusing to even look at a picture of a gun sounds like a mental/emotional problem. i don't like germs, but i don't walk around with a set of latex gloves and disinfectant. well, not anymore.

alright thanks

(Monroe County)

OC around her. My aunt who lives closest to me, was afraid of guns. So one day, at a family dinner, I OC'ed at her home. Family asked me questions, and got educated. Now she doesn't mind so much when she see's me OC'ing or taking her son to the rifle range.

(Venango County)

Here's a link to a good article written by a shrink on anti gunners and people with Hoplophobia.

http://www.learnaboutguns.com/2008/0...gun-mentality/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast