Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Looking to add a Striker to the collection

Hi Folks you have all helped a great deal in all my gun selections and I am asking again. All my pistols are good old fashion Metal and Hammer. Which I love but figure with all the fans out there of Plastic and Strikers there must be a reason. To start out none feel great in my hand too use to metal and know it will take some getting use to. That said what I would love if I could get some facts in the differences in the guns. No Glock XM war just facts. I want to get the best I can it will be used for bulleyes shooting. Shooting in mud or water does not mater but able to take a lot of rounds and accuracy does. I am thinking 9 because I have more in the big calibers but not set with that. All thoughts are greatly appreciated as always. You are all a great group of Gentleman and Ladies and would love all the input possible to help with my decision. I would rather get it from you all then a salesman.
    Thanks Don

Default Re: Looking to add a Striker to the collection

May I suggest that H&K is one of my favorite guns. They fit good in my hand. Baby Desert Eagles are nice as well, alot of handle, but comfortable shooting.

(Monroe County)

I'd recommend anything from the Glock, Springfield XD, or S&W MP line.
    Pound for Pound, XD seems to be a cut above in popularity then the Glock. Theyre pretty much the same, but its whatever you like in your hand.
    SW MP's ive heard alot of lousy reveiws, more than good ones.

(Philadelphia County)

I made a few notes on Glock vs XD while I was deciding which to buy. I eventually went with a G19 and I'm very happy with it.

Glocks cannot shoot lead ammunition, XD can

XD has a grip safety, Glock does not

XD has ambidextrous magazine release, Glock does not

Glock gives a one year warranty, Springfield gives a lifetime warranty. Some reports say that Springfield tries to make you send the gun to them rather than giving you parts.

Grip angle - 1911 style on the XD, different on the Glock

Magazine prices - Cheaper for XD (on MidwayUSA)

Holsters - wider choice available for Glock (my impression after shopping for both)

Possibility of KB - Glock has a less than fully-supported chamber, increasing the potential damage from a KB. However, KB in a 9mm
    shooting factory ammo is exceedingly rare.

XD has a striker and chamber indicator - Glock has only a chamber indicator

Quote Originally Posted by S&W 10mm View Post
    May I suggest that H&K is one of my favorite guns. They fit good in my hand. Baby Desert Eagles are nice as well, alot of handle, but comfortable shooting.
    I have big hands so I prefer longer handles

Quote Originally Posted by jcabin View Post
    I'd recommend anything from the Glock, Springfield XD, or S&W MP line.
    Pound for Pound, XD seems to be a cut above in popularity then the Glock. Theyre pretty much the same, but its whatever you like in your hand.
    SW MP's ive heard alot of lousy reveiws, more than good ones.
    I have read the same on the MP's but popularity is not my concern quality is

Quote Originally Posted by Philbert View Post
    I made a few notes on Glock vs XD while I was deciding which to buy. I eventually went with a G19 and I'm very happy with it.

Glocks cannot shoot lead ammunition, XD can

XD has a grip safety, Glock does not

XD has ambidextrous magazine release, Glock does not

Glock gives a one year warranty, Springfield gives a lifetime warranty. Some reports say that Springfield tries to make you send the gun to them rather than giving you parts.

Grip angle - 1911 style on the XD, different on the Glock

Magazine prices - Cheaper for XD (on MidwayUSA)

Holsters - wider choice available for Glock (my impression after shopping for both)

Possibility of KB - Glock has a less than fully-supported chamber, increasing the potential damage from a KB. However, KB in a 9mm
    shooting factory ammo is exceedingly rare.

XD has a striker and chamber indicator - Glock has only a chamber indicator
    You went with the Glock but your notes seem to lean XD why did you choose the Glock?

Glade Mill Lake, Cooperstown, Pennsylvania
    (Butler County)

I'd say either XD or M&P

Why?

Ergonomics.

Both are accurate and feel much better in MY hand than glocks. Both point better for me as well.

Just my opinion.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by Taz View Post
    You went with the Glock but your notes seem to lean XD why did you choose the Glock?
    The major reason is because I shot it and I liked it right away. Secondly, the G19 is slightly more compact that the XD service model, and size mattered since I wanted a gun suitable for carry. Also, while the XD has more features, they weren't really important to me. I don't see the need for a striker indicator because the trigger position tells you the same thing (though I guess you can't look at it in the dark). I don't shoot lead ammo, I like having one button to release my magazine, and I don't think a grip safety adds that much safety if the gun is properly holstered (and if it's in your hand then the grip safety is deactivated).

It was a close decision, though. I had gone back and forth between the two as I compared them on paper and read Glock vs XD threads all over the Internet. After shooting the G19 I decided enough was enough and I went with the Glock. The XD might be better but I like my Glock and that is enough for me.

(Allegheny County)

In favor of the Glock:

1. Glocks have been around for years so they are easy to get parts for, both factory and after-market, including cheap high capacity magazines.

2. They are also easy to find as used pistols especially police trade-ins, which can make them relatively cheap.

3. I would also still rate the standard Glock trigger (not the "NYPD" one) as tops for feel, short crisp break, and short reset. You can also buy factory parts easy to install yourself to convert any Glock to a "C" model with a competition trigger, and for under $30.

4. Glock is introducing slimmer gripped "SF" models for their .45acps, and have a slim single stack .45acp (G36). The only other single stack, truly "slim", polymer, is Kahr.

5. A hammer forged polygonal rifled barrel. HK and Glock have taken advantage of new manufacturing techniques that make polygonal rifling cheaper and more efficient to make. You can't shoot lead regularly, and they recommend not at all. But in terms of accuracy and ballistics polygonal is supposed to be better, though more expensive to produce. The Glock barrels would win in my book over XD or M&P.
    Last edited by panther76; January 5th, 2009 at 05:22 AM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast