Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    (Lancaster County)

Default How many of you who travel I-81 south...

...just obey the speed limit and continue the 14 miles through MD on into WV w/o obeying the Federal Transportation Law? Seriously, 14 miles, that's BS in my opinion to have to pull over at the state line to disarm and drive 14 miles to WV to pull over again to rearm yourself? By the time it takes to disarm and rearm you'd be through MD and on your way into WV. Now if I'm going I-83 S to Baltimore, than absolutely I will disarm myself and lock my gun in the trunk. No way in hell will I go through Baltimore and DC with a loaded gun in the car. But I so hate Maryland to begin with. Owning a gun gives me a better reason to not visit states that don't honor my PA and UT LTCF.
    Last edited by dlclarkii; January 4th, 2009 at 08:32 PM.

(Somerset County)

Default Re: How many of you who travel I-81 south...

I travel 3 miles through MD. , and yes I stop and lock up until I get through there
    Don't blame me ; I voted for an American .

(Franklin County)

Quote Originally Posted by dlclarkii View Post
    ...just obey the speed limit and continue the 14 miles through MD on into WV w/o obeying the Federal Transportation Law? Seriously, 14 miles, that's BS in my opinion to have to pull over at the state line to disarm and drive 14 miles to WV to pull over again to rearm yourself? By the time it takes to disarm and rearm you'd be through MD and on your way into WV. Now if I'm going I-83 S to Baltimore, than absolutely I will disarm myself and lock my gun in the trunk. No way in hell will I go through Baltimore and DC with a loaded gun in the car. But I so hate Maryland to begin with. Owning a gun gives me a better reason to not visit states that don't honor my PA and UT LTCF.
    Do you honestly expect folks to publicly admit violating both federal and state law? The 120 seconds it takes at each border are a reasonable exchange (to me) for the years I could lose over sheer laziness.
    Get your "Guns Save Lives" stickers today! PM for more info.

(Lancaster County)

No, I was not expecting anyone to admit violating both federal and state law. Sorry I should have been more clear but I expect people to have common sense to not admit wrongful doing. A good criminal is one who doesn't tell his crimes.

I'm merely asking for personal opinions. Even though it's the law there should be more protection for those who are passing through a state and not stopping.
    Last edited by dlclarkii; January 4th, 2009 at 10:03 PM.

(Butler County)

Quote Originally Posted by 1861 View Post
    I travel 3 miles through MD. , and yes I stop and lock up until I get through there
    Me too. On 70 I enter Maryland and promptly exit onto 522, cross the river and into WV. Although I do put the gun into the bag on my front seat (regular cab truck) and the ammo in my cupholder. I then load the mags while driving and just don't chamber a round till I get to where I am going.

(Somerset County)

Quote Originally Posted by chugger95 View Post
    Me too. On 70 I enter Maryland and promptly exit onto 522, cross the river and into WV. Although I do put the gun into the bag on my front seat (regular cab truck) and the ammo in my cupholder. I then load the mags while driving and just don't chamber a round till I get to where I am going.

that,s the best part of MD. I have found
    Don't blame me ; I voted for an American .

(Venango County)

Another way of putting it, why risk your right to have firearms for 14 miles (15 minutes?) trip?

ETA= What always scares me is that I like to ride motorcycles which means backroads are alluring. The trouble is that I am near the Ohio border. The main highways have the lines marked but not the back roads. Easy to wind-up out of state with a loaded firearm concealed. (Part of the allure is just guessing general direction, no maps, no compass etc.)
    Last edited by TaePo; January 4th, 2009 at 10:59 PM.
    It is you. You have all the weapons that you need. Now fight. --Sucker Punch

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by TaePo View Post
    Another way of putting it, why risk your right to have firearms for 14 miles (15 minutes?) trip?
    Yup. I'd rather be disarmed for 15 minutes than for the rest of my life.

I do only go about 10mph over the speed limit in order to avoid hassles, though.
    Safety is a good tool for tyrants; no one can be against safety.

Μολὼν λαβέ

(Franklin County)

Quote Originally Posted by TaePo View Post
    The trouble is that I am near the Ohio border. The main highways have the lines marked but not the back roads. Easy to wind-up out of state with a loaded firearm concealed. (Part of the allure is just guessing general direction, no maps, no compass etc.)
    Two words: Utah license
    Get your "Guns Save Lives" stickers today! PM for more info.

I think driving the speed limit is a sure way to get the attention of the police. After all, who would be driving the speed limit if they didn't have something to hide!?!

I pull over and make everything legal. As soon as I am in W Va I pull over again and load up. I figure if a bad guy wants to get me in Md he will have to chase me into W Va, and then I will have him right where I want him.

Of course, before W Va extended reciprocity to Pa, I traveled all the way to Va, and that meant my gun was Winchester until I got to Winchester.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast